BB on D2?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by wlrottge, Aug 31, 2010.

1. wlrottge

wlrottge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I HATE to ask such a noobish question, but... time is an issue.

I effed my D1 speaker last night and Asssssurion wanted to give me an Eris or Devour (WTF!?!?!?). I went to VZW and told them a/b it and they were ready to give me a D2 right there (rather have the X).

Needless to say since I'm running BB, I wanted to go home and backup, unroot and revert to an OEM rom.

I really don't want to loose BB. I know the hardware is almost identical but I don't know where the bootloader etc stands right now. Is BB working on D2?

2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    No it's not YET. I'd just live with the speaker problem if you like custom roms.

3. wlrottge

wlrottge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, there's really not much reason to go D2 except to fix hardware problems.... I mean D1, OC'd, BB.... what does D2 offer??? zip, nadda, zero.

I just finished copying my entire SD card and made a fresh clockwork backup. I'm going to unroot and revert to 2.1..... we'll see what they have to say. If I don't have to renew my contract, I think I'll go ahead and do it. I'm due for my VIP upgrade in Nov, so it's not like i'll be "stuck" with it for long....

4. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    well if its a free d2 and it doesnt cost your upgrade, you might want to consider taking it. custom roms will start to come out for the d2 eventually and when you decide to get a new phone you could probably sell your d2 easier and use the money for a better phone. also, from what I understand (and i could be wrong, i duno) BB is pretty much a stock version of 2.2 anyways just with some scripts on it. so there might be more pros than cons..(if its free and doesn't use your upgrade that you get in November).. and you can live without a custom rom for the time being

5. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    you're nuts dude, one big plus of the droid two is twice the battery life at twice the clock speed.

6. unclebrudy

unclebrudy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa there. I have both. D1, BB0.4, Chevy's LV1.1 & D2 rooted with as much custom tweaks as current releases allow...

No way is it double the battery life. Even after battery conditioning the D2, it's comparable at most. I can't ascertain if it's BB that gives my D1 stupendous staying power' but even smaller fab notwithstanding it easily outlasts the D2 in normal usage.

I'd say the one biggest plus for the D2 is doubling of the RAM, followed closely by the massive internal memory boost to 8gb. Those two things together make the D2 so much smoother.

But I definitely still use the D1 more. And it definitely lasts longer.

7. wlrottge

wlrottge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was already thinking what you all were. "newer = better on ebay when upgrade comes due".

I forgot a/b the additional ram. I wasn't concerned a/b the clock speed b/c my D1 is oc'd.

I'm going by today and going to see what they throw at me. If the deal from last night holds it will be a new D2 for my deductable w/o a contract extension.

8. B3y0ndD34th

B3y0ndD34th Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel ya, I've been hosed many times when having issues with my phone, my charging jack is kinda effed I've tried numerous chargers and I still have to hold it a certain way (as well as my mouth I guess because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) I've woke up after letting my phone charge in what I thought was overnight but I only had 30% because my phone vibrated and moved the charger -.-. My brother has a droid as well but all my chargers just fall into place on his, I've spoke with the reps at Verizon but they want to give me a D2 :/ I'm just gonna hope I can charge my phone every night until I can't anymore :D

Just hang in there we'll get that D2 all broken in and someone will get a rom on there, there's a lot of us on here that like to push the limits and the rest of us can't stand being stock, It'll just be a little time :)

9. wlrottge

wlrottge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did it... surprise... After just a couple of hours, I already miss BB... Bout to root this effer and remove some BS.

I don't know if I'm right or not, but... it does not seem quite as smooth generally, but it is quicker with a couple of things (screen rotate).... ok... one thing, lol. My VZW rep was cool. He ran BB on his D1 and has rooted his X. He's jonesing for a decent custom ROM for it too. He said, "root that thing fast and get rid of the garbage apps".

Search tags for this page

for bb d2