BB memory enhancements

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by rutger1413, Jul 14, 2010.

1. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

Im debating on trying out CM6, I havnt tried it out yet b/c i have been on the edge if i want to loose the memory enhancements that BB has.

Does anyone know a way to get the same memory enhancements from BB to CM? I looked at the install-recovery.sh file and it seems like this is the file that sort of controls it. Does anyone else have any insight?
  2. Phatdaddyz01

Phatdaddyz01 Member

Download Minfree Manager. Set it to aggressive. This will give you all the memory management you need.
  3. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

Personally i prefer to have it done via the system rather than a program.
  4. Phatdaddyz01

Phatdaddyz01 Member

Okay then go to this site:Fine tuning the MinFree settings (improving on Android's multitasking) | Android Central . Scroll down to "LowMemKiller Geek Edition", about halfway down the page. This explains adjusting the memory settings manually with a terminal emulator.
  5. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

This is what is happening in the install-recovery.sh file. These limits are already being set. I kinda want some more info into what else is done to BB to make it so snappy.

Is there anyone else that has an insight into what else pete is doing to help manage memory?
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  6. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

I must apologize.....I decided to try out minfree b/c i figured what the heck. DAMN....I would be willing to bet that this would make just about any rom super snappy. Im going to wait for another release of CM to come out before i test it.
  7. nyijedi

nyijedi New Member

I'm so happy I came across this thread! CM6 is absolutely flying with minfree set to aggressive. Thank you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. Phatdaddyz01

Phatdaddyz01 Member

According to Pete, you can make these changes in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh this will let you have the settings of MinFree, without the app. Check out this thread: www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/58850-cant-take-home-screen-redraws-anymore-6.html . This just re-explains the fine tune settings for minfree.
  9. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

I saw that and have messed with it. I have since tuned it a bit starting on aggressive and have been testing it with different settings. It is nice to be able to change it on the fly easily. Once i find a nice "sweet spot" I will most likely alter the install-recovery.sh to reflect the settings in minfree.
  10. PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam New Member

I just made the referenced changes to the MinFree-like Agressive settings, but I find Better Keyboard being killed often when I try to reply to a text on the Handcent Pop Up. Is their a way to identify excluded apps without something like AutoMem?
  11. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

No. The best thing to do is modify the memory allocations. The Browser kept being killed for me.

My current settings are : 6/8/16/32/48/72

It seems to be working a lot better.
  12. SICDROID

SICDROID New Member

Hi, new here and new to Droid.. not sure if I am missing something here but, under "SpareParts that comes in BB there is an option to set the multitasking to normal or aggressive. Same thing??