1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

BB Froyo battery issue

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by vm2001, Jun 13, 2010.

1. vm2001

vm2001 New Member

Im sorry if this question has been asked and answered somewhere but i could not find it .
    I just installed bb froyo with the blue theme pack and a clocked at 1ghz.
    I noticed that my battery is draining extremely quick. take it off full charge and in about 10 min its down to 90 percent. Second issue, i installed beautiful batter widget and that doesn't seem to show the correct batter level. for example it shows 100 percent but when i go check in the options the batter is at 90 percent and sometimes its off by 20%.
    any ideas to what might be causing this.
    also i have noticed my phone is running much hotter then when i was on bb 1.1
    any help is appreciated.
  2. bitter

bitter New Member

Which kernal do you have installed?

Also, that thing with the battery widget seems common. I've tried numerous ones myself, and always have that same exact result. ALWAYS 10% off.

I've had bad battery life with BB 0.1, but from what I understand, any of Chevy's kernals will do good on this ROM.
  3. vm2001

vm2001 New Member

This might sound crazy but I did the whole update thing in the middle of the night and don't remember what kernal I updated to . Could you link where I can download the kernals your referring to.
    Thank you
  4. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

I switched to Chevy's kernel and had major improvements in battery life.
  5. bitter

bitter New Member

Here's the repository for Chevy's Froyo kernals. I used the 5 slot LV 1.0 Kernal myself:

Index of /froyokernels
  6. alitke

alitke New Member

How do I install the kernal I want? I was using rom manager for this before.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. sober

sober New Member

Install the kernel as you would a rom, except without wiping/clearing cache.

It will overwrite your current kernel, so just create a backup in clockwork/sprecovery just before you install.

I installed this rom this morning, still using stock kernel. I will run it for a few days and see what battery left comes up with.....I usually get about 24-26 hours use on stock 2.1, or on BB1.1.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. alitke

alitke New Member

So download to sd then what do I do in recovery mode?

9. apops

apops New Member

sorry im new at this but whats the difference between the low and ulow kernels
  10. sober

sober New Member

I'm no pro at this either, but if you have rom manager installed (which uses clockwork recovery), you can just open rom manager and select "install rom from sd card"

it will then prompt you to select the file and will automatically reboot into recovery and install it.

If using sprecovery, just rename the file "update" (should change to "update.zip") and place on sd card.......then boot into recovery mode and apply update.

you won't need to wipe anything, and remember to make a backup!
  11. tsnstuff

tsnstuff New Member

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place or not. I tried searching for this but I wasn't having much luck.

I have BB V0.1 in my phone. Last Friday while at work I noticed my phone was getting really hot and the battery was draining very fast. So I switched to Simply Stunning.

That was working out fine but I really wanted to give BB another try. So I installed this morning BB and Chevy's 1Ghz low voltage. It was working great most of the day. Then later on in the evening I noticed that I had never set up my email accounts.

I have a total of 3 Gmail like accounts that I use. 1 Gmail account and 2 that are set up using Gmail apps, so I still use the Gmail email program. Then I have 1 Exchange email for work, I use the default email program for that.

About an hour after setting them up, I noticed the phone felt hot again, it was about 120F, which I know it can handle I just don't like it. Also the battery had now gone from 60% to 10%. It had been unplugged most of the day and it had only gone down to 60%!

So I'm wondering if there is a known issue at all with Emails? Maybe I'm syncing too many accounts? Maybe it doesn't like the exchange email? Or maybe it was something totally different. I know I've always been syncing these email accounts and didn't have issues before. And I know to expect issues with Froyo, but I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing.

PS: With Simply Stunning I'm pretty sure I synced only the gmail accounts. Not the Enterprise one.
  12. sober

sober New Member

To truly get a feel for battery life everyone needs to use an app like "battery left" and wait till it gets an accurate reading on a known good rom.

Switch to BBv0.1, restart battery life, compare results when accurate.

I know people with stock 2.1 droids who only get about 12-15 hours from a charge because of heavy use/lots of background stuff running/poor battery conservation practices (screen stays on full bright, gps always on).

Anyway, there are alot of people here who are more qualified than me, thats just my take on it.
  13. alitke

alitke New Member

GPS on does nothing unless an app is running.

14. alitke

alitke New Member

Do I leave in .zip format it is downloaded in or extract it? Extraction means more files and unnecessary I think. I am thinking leave as downloaded not even change name and use rom manager. Correct or

15. fearmychickens

fearmychickens New Member

Battery life for me has really increased since I installed Chevy's 1GHz ultra low voltage kernel.
  16. rage151

rage151 New Member

I am using BB 0.1 with nextheme and at first, the back of my phone, at the top, would get really hot, really fast. Plus, my quadrant score was pretty low. Installed Chevy's new ultralow voltage 1.25ghz kernel and my phone doesn't even get warm now. Pulled around 1500 with quadrant too. Battery life is better, but mine has never been anything to brag about.
  17. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Just downloaded battery life, had been using battery left widget.
    How do you restart it or know when it's accurate? Battery left widget would go from: innacurate, moderate, accurate.
  18. hlt123

hlt123 New Member

Trying Chevy's ulow 1.25 GHz. My battery life has been atrocious w/ P3's 1.25 GHz kernel. (no judgments, just observations)
  19. sober

sober New Member

I don't know about the battery life app, but I am sold on battery left widget.

I can always get more or less life than it reads by changing my use of the phone, but consistency is what I look for.

If it reads 24 total hours for a week, then drops to 15 one day with no change in the way you use the phone, then you know something is up.
  20. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

My bad I read you wrong. I love battery left as well.