BB .4 and SetCPU?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by HKChad, Aug 6, 2010.

1. HKChad

HKChad New Member

So I've been running an Adamz rom for a few months now, it appears he's not supporting his roms anymore or is just to busy, understood, but I want some FROYO hotness so I installed BB .4. Now for the ?. I have bought SetCPU and ran it for some time on AdamZ rom no problems. When I run it on BB I pick autodetect, the Superuser Request screen appears, I click Allow (remember checked), I get a settings Saved dialog but then I get a Toast telling me I don't have root, and SetCPU goes into ReadOnly mode.

I have installed Terminal Emulator, I can successfully type su and I can run root commands from adb shell. Is there something else I need in addition to BB and SetCPU to make this work? Yes I also have busybox installed in /system/bin/busybox

thanks,
    Chad
  2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Works fine for me. What ROM (and version) did you come from? Did you do complete wipes (data and cache)? You may want to load a standard Froyo ROM and then update to BB.

Edit: you didn't use Titanium to 'restore' SetCPU' did you? After a clean install use market to reinstall SetCPU if you did.
  3. HKChad

HKChad New Member

I was running AdamZ Smoked Glass v6.0 (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/adamz/29999-rom-tgz-smoked-glass-v6-0-03-15-android-2-1-ese53.html)

I used SPRecovery to install BB (renamed the .zip to update.zip put on SDCard, etc). I tried it w/o wiping data/cache, that failed horribly. So yes I did do a wipe data/cache reinstalled BB. The rom seems to work fine, just can't get SetCPU to allow me to change clock speed. No I did not use Titanium, I downloaded it right out of the market (several times actually trying to get it to work).
  4. stastnysnipes26

stastnysnipes26 New Member

well BB .4 is already overclocked at .8 Ghz without using setCPU. i would suggest downloading an overclocking kernel. I am running chevy's ultra low voltage 7 slot 1.25 Ghz...battery life is kind of short but it works and its snappier than any other rom or kernel ive ever used.

I guess what i'm saying is that setCPU has no use really...youd probably be better off with just a kernel or leaving BB .4 the way it is because like i said its already overclocked at .8
  5. HKChad

HKChad New Member

Understood, but I had a bunch of profiles set to help keep my temps down and batt life good, now I can't do that anymore.
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

You need to install a Froyo (2.2) ROM FIRST. the update method only works when updating the same version so you cannot use it when coming from a 2.1 ROM. Grab one of Pete's stock releases and then do the v .4 update over that and you should be good to go.

Also after that try using one of P3's kernels they are the only ones pete actually 'supports'. Plenty of versions so you should be able to find the exact one you want.

@stastnysnipes26 there are PLENTY of people (myself included) that have reported that pete's script(s) just aren't as efficient as SetCPU. In many cases it doesn't scale the steps correctly resulting in the CPU running at MAX 100% of the time. In addition, as mentioned above the additional profiles and convenient GUI is just a preference for many.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. HKChad

HKChad New Member

By Stock releases you mean this,
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/66278-rom-ota-froyo-frg01b-rooted.html

Then install this,
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...t-v0-4-android-2-2-frf84b-fully-deodexed.html

I assume I just rename them update.zip and flash using SPRecovery? Sorry, I'm use to the tar.gz format roms.

EDIT: will I need to wipe data/cache again?
  8. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

That should work. And yes, ALWAYS wipe (least 2x both data and cache) just to be safe. It saves a TON of time and frustration.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. HKChad

HKChad New Member

That did it! Thanks a bunch!

-chad
  10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Cool, glad it's working. Enjoy, hopefully Pete will have some v .5 crack for us soon:icon_ banana:
  11. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Just for the record (If anyone else has this problem), I had a problem similar to this once. I reinstalled SetCPU with TitaniumBackup, no problems. When the Superuser Permission prompt came up I clicked Allow (Remember Checked) and got the same prompt. I quit SetCPU and went to Superuser Permissions.. For whatever reason, SP was showing that I denied permissions to SetCPU (I was 100% sure that I clicked Allow). Regardless, I clicked on SetCPU in SP, then clicked Allow, and restarted SetCPU.. Worked flawlessly. I know this is common sense, but that read-only dialog threw me off for a second.