BB 1.0 or 1.1 won't connect to Corporate Email

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by mreservices1, May 5, 2010.

1. mreservices1

mreservices1 New Member

Corporate Email not working

I have installed BB v1 and am having a problem with my Corporate email (exchange). I keep getting an error that says "Unable to open connection to server". I have verified the settings multiple times, cleared cache. I even reverted back to Blackdroid rom and worked fine. Then did a fresh install (wipe data) of BB v1 again and got the same error. I am however able to get my appointments/taks in the calendar. Anyone seen this same issue?
  2. mreservices1

mreservices1 New Member

Has anyone tried to use BB 1.0 or 1.1 with Corporate email. Works fine with Ultimate Droid and Cyanogen, but won't connect with BB. Anyone found an issue with this? I reported back with 1.0 release, but no one commented on. Error just says Unable to connect with server. However I can get my calendar just fine so it is connected. Any help would be appreciated.
  3. elohel

elohel New Member

I've used BB since way-back-when and I have always been able to use my Exchange features properly.

I'm currently running v1.1 after completely wiping and I had no issues whatsoever in setting my Exchange account back up.

Remember it's: Domain\username

Our Exchange server forces SSL but has a self-signed certificate which the Email won't take unless you force it to accept all SSL connections.
  4. mreservices1

mreservices1 New Member

I have verified all settings

I have gone back and verified all settings. Did a complete wipe of all data and a fresh install of BB 1.1. After phone activation, the first thing I do before installing anything is go to the email and setup the Exchange. Everything looks good. I can get to my calendar fine and see my appointmnets so I know it's connected. I then create a link and open the email. The Inbox ALWAYS get's an Unable to open connection to server error. However, I can go to folders and can see the folders. If I open one and refresh, sometimes it loads fine and somethings I get the error. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Server does not use SSL so I don't think that's an issue, however I will try that now and report back. Right now with UD9.8, that is not checked and all is working fine. Not to say our email admin hasn't made a change that's screwing with me. But why a setting on on and not the other version. Going to go try now.
  5. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

Mine is working just fine. Email and Calender both sync without issue.

What method are you using to set up your corporate account? I know it sounds stupid, but I actually ran into a similar problem in the past. Certain things wouldn't connect and other things would. The best way that i've found is to delete your corporate account from your phone. Then go into the "Corporate Calendar" app. Since no accounts are configured, it will take you through the setup. I swear that this method solved a similar problem I had a few months ago. I couldn't get email and calendar to sync if I tried to set up my account any other way.
  6. cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22 New Member

I don't know if this is relavent as I am rather new to bugless, but on the main ROM thread there is an update for email and MMS. Have you tried that?
  7. mreservices1

mreservices1 New Member

Think it's working now

Thank you both for your input. I had been doing a complete wipe and re-creating the corporate account. I just spoke to my email admin and he told me no SSL (HOWEVER), when I put check SSL AND Accept SSL Certificates, it seems to work. Must be a cert issue as elohel suggested. Thank you all. I am now setting BB 1.1 backup the way I like it. Thanks again. Oh, and I will get those updates from the main link to emial and mms.
  8. Midna

Midna New Member

I have been having the same problem, and have not been able to determine what exactly is causing it. I've had the same problem at different times while using Cyanogen and BB. Sometimes doing a re-install fixes it, sometimes not. I help manage our Exchange server so I know I have the setup right, and the weird thing is I can sync e-mails in the folders, but not on the inbox. I get the same 'Unable to open connection to server.' error.

Most searches just turn up general stuff about setting up exchange email accounts and people who forgot to check 'Allow SSL Certs' but that's not the problem in my case.
  9. Midna

Midna New Member

I am having the same problem, but I do have both SSL options checked, and it occurs randomly and sometimes a reinstall of the rom will fix it, and sometimes it wont.
  10. elohel

elohel New Member

To preface this post: I am a IT Systems Engineer, and fully qualified to set up an exchange server on a corporate network.

I'll be honest, it sounds like your Systems Administrator hasn't set up the exchange server properly. :icon_eek:
  11. Midna

Midna New Member

I've gone through all the Exchange settings and logs and everything looks perfect. I am more of a programmer but still do have access to our Exchange server, and our Network Admin has a Moto Droid as well, with Stock 2.1 on his phone and has never had the issue. I have had the issue both with Cyanogen 5.0.6.2, BB 1.0, and BB 1.1.

Sometimes it will go away, for a reason I have not been able to track down yet, but when it happens, it's a while before it stops, or I eventually keep messing with things until something happens.

Does anyone know of any email log files that are stored on the phone that could give some insight into this?
  12. mreservices1

mreservices1 New Member

Try Exchange By TouchDown for exchange email

Midna,

I still have issues with the Corporate email client at times. Regardless of settings, one time I can get to the folder, the next time it says I can't connect. However another folder I can. It's strange to say the least. I did try a program I saw on a forum called "Exchange byTouchDown". It's an exchange email/contacts/to do list. I went through the auto configuration and let it figure out the settings and it seems to be working fine even though the Corporate Email client is not. It get's 4.5 stars in the market and I can say that I really like it. I am using the 30 day demo now and down to 26 days left. The full version is 19.99 wich is kinda steep, but to be honest, since I use this for work too and MUST always have access to my corporate email, I will likely just go ahead and pay for the license key.

One other good program is Corporate Directory for Droid (free from market). It looks up your Corporate Directory from the exchange server and not just your personal contacts. Pretty cool.

Good Luck!

P.S. The above statements are based on the fact that I did a full wipe and backup and moved over to BB 1.1. I am pretty much using TouchDown now instead of Corporate email. Let me know your thoughts if you try it.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  13. Midna

Midna New Member

The problem fixes itself sometimes.. or so it seems like, but then again, when it starts acting up, I keep messing with it till something happens.

I'm well aware of touchdown but not a big fan of having to pay for a feature that is built into the system, and don't really like the interface either, but when I did try touchdown, it worked with no problem.

I am also already using the Corporate Directory app from motorola.
Search tags for this page
android corporate couldn't open connection to server
android galaxy nexus dropped email access corporate server
android phone email couldnt open connection to server
couldn't connect to server when setting up email on droid

couldn't open connection to server android

couldn't open connection to server on droid
droid message couldn't open connection with server
droid phone won't open connection to server
droid razr saying couldn't open connection to server sec

galaxy nexus couldn't open connection to server

how to connect bb10 to corporate email
motorola droid razr m couldnt open connection to server
motorola xt910 won't connect to corporate mail
setting up email on motorola phone and says couldn't finish
why wont my droid connect to the server.