BB 0.4, SetCPU speeds?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 25cents, Aug 2, 2010.

1. 25cents

25cents Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right now it's autodetecting a max of 800MHz - I was wondering if this ROM currently supports faster speeds, and if so, what speeds?

Something I've noticed also is that, since installing SetCPU, my battery life has decreased dramatically if I've got the screen on. I've just now mimicked some of the more common profiles, so hopefully that will change, but is this common issue?

2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I believe that rom comes with an 800mhz kernel. You can install a new kernel to get whatever speeds you desire: P3Droid Kernels

3. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the stock kernel that comes with BB is 800mhz. If you want to increase speed beyond that you will have to flash an overclocking kernel.
    P3 kernels work real well
    P3Droid Kernels

4. 25cents

25cents Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...to which I must respond "Uh, what?"

Forgive my ignorance, but my understanding of that level of computing is lacking. Flashing a new kernel, will that require a new ROM? Will compatibility become an issue if I install so many custom pieces of software, leading functionality of apps to become spotty? How safe is replacing the kernel (understanding that I was willing to take the minimal risk that booting required)?

5. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been running a 1.2ghz lv kernel for the last 6 months with no issues whatsoever but that doesn't mean every phone will have the same results. Some run well at that speed and others have FC issues. Start with the 1.0 LV kernel and see if that works well for you. You can always leave it at that or try a faster one if you choose later.
    Flashing a kernel is simple, all you do is download the file, put it on the root of your sd card(change file name to update.zip if using sprecovery) boot into recovery and flash the file like you would a Rom but without wiping data/cache. The ROM you are using will remain the same as well as all the data you have. Just remember not to wipe. When you go into setcpu after you reboot and press autodetect it should recognize the new max speed depending on which one you go with.
    Also remember to create a backup beforehand so in case there are any problems you can go back to what you had before.

#5 warrior21, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. 25cents

25cents Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. I'll play with it some when I get home. Appreciate the help!

7. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, you might want to try start with a ULV (ultra low voltage) kernel first, if battery life is a big issue for you. Not all phones agree with ULV kernels, and if your's doesn't, you'll be stuck in a bootloop. If that happens, just flash the LV kernel of the same mhz.
    As Warrior said, you'll keep your current rom. Basically the kernel just "sits" on top of the rom. So next time you decide to change roms, and say you had a theme, then you would flash your rom first. Then you would either flash your kernel/theme, followed by whichever you didn't choose. If that makes sense..
    Rom > Kernel > Theme
    Make sure to do backups every time you flash!

Search tags for this page
setcpu bench lower is faster

what does lower but faster mean in setcpu