BB 0.4 Froyo - Signal gone overnight

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by elninost0rm, Jul 27, 2010.

1. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Hey all,

For some reason, my signal has taken an absolute crap overnight. At work (normally 3-4 bars 3G no problem) has dropped to 4 bars 1x or sometimes 4 bars of just normal cell reception (no data). I've tried switching airplane on/off, turning the mobile network on/off, and rebooting multiple times. The only reason I'm so concerned is because this happened overnight. All I've switched on the phone is using Launcher Pro instead of the normal launcher. To prevent re-draws, I DID start using Minfree, could this be the cause?

Thanks.

Trying a nandroid restore of a scheduled backup from a week ago. If that doesn't fix it, it has to be a tower issue or something. Has this ever happened to anyone else unprovoked?

EDIT2: A nandroid restore of my ROM 7 days ago has done nothing. This is way before Minfree/Launcher Pro was installed, and I can personally guarantee that my 3G was fully functional back then. Could this be a tower issue? I'll ride it out for a few days tops...Nothing else I can really do since I can't very well take it to Verizon...If it persists, I'll try re-flashing a clean 2.1 to see if that works.

I'm leaning towards a tower/Verizon issue because my bars are maxed out, but reporting 1x instead of 3G. It's not like my bars are jumping all over the place. I can place/make calls perfectly fine with no distortion in the person speaking. I'd imagine 3G is handled by an entirely different system?

EDIT3: Just an update on what's going on: Occasionally, 3G will pop up for a few seconds. 3 bars, 2 bars, 1 bar, 0 bars, then back to full bars, 1x. It's like it's trying to obtain a 3G signal but can't.

This area (75 feet in the air, top floor of an office building) is usually top-notch in terms of signal, so that's not the issue. It was full bars 1x all the way to work, too.
  2. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Just turned to a co-worker that has a stock 2.1 droid and he's 1x as well. Basically confirms that it's a local issue.
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I've had some tower issues in my area in the past. Sounds like you determined that to be the case here.
  4. danwanna

danwanna New Member

I had a similar issue right after I installed my first Froyo ROM and spent hours flashing back and forth to different ROMS.

I eventually drove to a different part of town and confirmed it was a local tower issue and had nothing to do with my ROM upgrade.
  5. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Glad to see you pinpointed the problem. Quite a few ppl are losing 3G though for small periods of time so maybe it's a continental wide issue? I was thinking that the new basebands we are using were the culprit but I'm starting to think either our issues are unrelated or Verizon's 3G has gone nuts. I can say that I live on the east coast and the 3G servers I connect to are on the west coast (yeah... a little odd don't ya think?). A simple whois on the myverizon ip addresses confirmed this.

So that raises a question I think I am going to investigate further on. You know I never did option 2 when activating my phone... lemme do that then see which servers I am connecting to and I'll post right back.

Edit: Well even after updating data, I'm still connecting to myverizon servers in Mountain View California (and I live in Virginia). Though I'm not really having problems with my 3G either besides the sporadic drop here and there in data.
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

How in the world is that possible? You're just getting bad network info relayed. There's no way you are picking up a 3G signal from CA! Although, I could see how such a glitch might cause some slowdown or connection issues.

How do you check which server you are connecting to? And does anyone know how to find where towers are physically located in your area?
  7. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

OS Monitor from the market is an easy way to check all your connections. Open up the Connections tab and just click on the connection you want to run a whois on. I'm still at a loss myself as to how in the hell or why I'm connected across the country so if someone with the know how knows feel free to chime in lol.