Battery?

mkthnx001

Reaction score
So I have about two widgets that update every hour, a weather widget, calander widget, and a few others, including a FaceBook widget and an RSS widget.

I receive and send around 100-300 text messages daily. When my battery gets to around 10-20% it says the display was on for about 1 hour and I spend about an hour on the phone.

All in all, I get around 6-7 hours of battery life.

Is this normal for my usage? I read about people getting 12-24 hours of battery! That's phenomenal!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My screen brightness is on auto, and I have the battery manager set on smart mode, disabling data after 15 minutes of no use.

dons2346

Reaction score
Battery

I found that by changing from "smart mode" to "battery saver mode" helps. I have gone 11hours 46 minutes and 55 seconds since I unplugged. and I still have what looks like 80% left

stryguy

Reaction score
You should download System Panel and let it run for one charge cycle. While it runs it will greatly reduce your battery life but most importantly it gives huge detail on what on your system is using your battery. Incredible detail actually.

I don't get anywhere near 300 txt messages and I don't use an RSS reader or Facebook but I do have a weather widget and some widgets that hit the internet for updates hourly.. I also make 1 to 2 hours of calls a day easy. I get 18-24 hours before 20% battery life.

Fizban22

Reaction score
So I have about two widgets that update every hour, a weather widget, calander widget, and a few others, including a FaceBook widget and an RSS widget.

I receive and send around 100-300 text messages daily. When my battery gets to around 10-20% it says the display was on for about 1 hour and I spend about an hour on the phone.

Is this normal for my usage? I read about people getting 12-24 hours of battery! That's phenomenal!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My screen brightness is on auto, and I have the battery manager set on smart mode, disabling data after 15 minutes of no use.

yeah its mostly the widgets that kill your battery. i noticed ever since i got rid of my facebook widget and a couple other social networking ones that my battery lasts a lot longer. i have Weather/Toggle clock and weather widget, a Weatherbug Elite widget, and a scorecenter one that all update hourly, but other than that i dont have anything updating constantly because it eats away at your battery.

also, if yoru making 200-300 texts daily, your using up a lot of battery by your screen being on. i text a lot to so what i did was turn down my screen brightness all the way. its still really clear and you get used to the non-brightness really fast. this might help save some battery life too.

OP
M

mkthnx001

Reaction score
You should download System Panel and let it run for one charge cycle. While it runs it will greatly reduce your battery life but most importantly it gives huge detail on what on your system is using your battery. Incredible detail actually.

Do you think it might be System Panel that's draining it, because I always have that enabled.

I'm going to start with disabling that; if it doesn't work, I'll proceed with removing some widgets.

Thanks!

stryguy

Reaction score
For me System Panel eats through the battery. It's a tool to figure out what's going wrong and then it gets removed until the next time I need it.

deranger

Reaction score
I've got system panel monitoring constantly, the Weather Channel app in the notification area, and that's basically it. With maybe 50 to 100 texts a day, 2-3 hours of last.fm streaming with the screen off, and a half hour to an hour of web browsing, I am at 50% when I get home from work. No charging from 8:30AM to 5:00PM.

The only widget I use is the power control one. Sync over WiFi only, disable haptic feedback, disable live wallpaper. Battery profile is set to performance mode with screen brightness set to automatic. Also, I disable WiFi when I leave for work and turn it on only when I need it or when I get back home. Battery life seems to have improved greatly since the first day I got it.

I might try disabling SystemPanel monitoring tomorrow to see how that effects things based on the previous few comments.

billyanks2

Reaction score
I've been having very very bad battery life, and I've tried everything to increase it, but i never got more than 10 hours from 100% to 0%, regardless of usage. I went into the verizon store today and the guy I talked to pointed out to me that I had 16 (one full home screen) of motorola's quick contact widgets, which sync live with social media. I've since replaced all of those with shortcuts (I'm less satisfied with that, because that opens up the entire contact rather than just bringing up a box with the contact methods I select). I'm hoping this gives me a big boost in battery.

Nibbler

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Take off the auto brightness, mine's set to 3% and it's still extremely bright, my droid X battery life has been lasting me 28 hours before it hits yellow status.. then again i text and browse the net more than talking on the phone, so that may have a bigger impact.

throwscoach

Reaction score
Personally speaking, I was having issues with my battery life (lasting about 9 hours), but I read a couple things and decided to take off the social networking widget because I really don't need it, activated auto kill for every 60 minutes on my app killer, and turned the brightness settings to low (about 10%, don't know how you say exact of the x), which like Nibbler said, is still pretty bright and have my screen auto off after 30 sec (i think).

Yesterday I took my phone off the charger at about 8:40am. I listened to a 35 min podcast on stitcher, talked on the phone for about 2.5 hours (30 min of which was on speaker), and texted back and forth with people for about 100 or so messages. I also surfed the net a little, less than my norm, but none the less. I had my battery die on me at about 11:45pm. To me, that's a pretty good day's use. I don't expect to be able to make it more than a day since I tend to text anywhere from 100-300 messages sent and recieved a day, but to make it 15 hours, that's good in my book.

throwscoach

Reaction score
I have the weather channel widget, fb, and the news one (which I'm not sure if i need up). I'm not sure if the media widgets: slideshow (which I can't figure out how to set up), stitcher, and the media player are running down my battery.