1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Battery

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by mayerjackson, Jul 16, 2010.

1. mayerjackson

mayerjackson New Member

I saw a thread where this was mentioned a bit but not exactly 100% addressed. What is the best way to save battery on your X? Especially the first time you use it. Should I open the box, turn it on, let it die, then charge it full? I don't know too much about batteries so any help would be appreciated
  2. bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic New Member

Plug it in let it fully charge even if you are using it leave it plugged in until its fully charged. Than unplug it let it completely die than do another full recharge.
  3. iselector

iselector New Member

This is a great question. Droid X has a 1540 mAHLi-Ion battery. Which is a Lithium-ion battery. One of the key advantages, and why they are in most devices today, is because they dont have the "memory effect". Here's the tricky part. These battery's aren't meant to be fully charged all the time. So it is better to give your phone several power boosts of charge throughout the day.

heres a quote from wiki on fully charging Lithium-ion batteries.

"A unit that is full most of the time at 25 °C (77 °F) irreversibly loses approximately 20% capacity per year. Poor ventilation may increase temperatures, further shortening battery life. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively"

heres the link:
    Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic New Member

I know about them not caring when you charge them or for how long but I do know once every month your suppose to do a full charge "laptop". Me i put my batteries threw the paces and when I am in the car playing pandora it is plugged in charging "phone".

You are still suppose to do a full charge when you get the battery and a full depletion.
  5. iselector

iselector New Member

Full charges are going to be inevitable. Just not something that should be a priority. Also, the no memory effect means that the battery is already set to accept the full capacity, and its only down hill from here. So its up to the user how long the battery life is with how they manage the charging.

From HowStuffWorks.com

• They hold their charge. A lithium-ion battery pack loses only about 5 percent of its charge per month, compared to a 20 percent loss per month for NiMH batteries.
    • They have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging, as with some other battery chemistries.
    • Lithium-ion batteries can handle hundreds of charge/discharge cycles.
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lithium-ion-battery.htm

Do you listen thru your stereo in the car? I was looking for a FM transmitter for the droids.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  6. robyr

robyr New Member

iselector, I just personally want to thank you for at least attempting to educate the masses about Li-Ion technology. I really have nothing to say on this matter however on the stereo part I can definitely recommend something to you:

BUY A BLUETOOTH HEAD UNIT!

It's seriously worth it. Quality is magnitudes higher, and Android is pretty good with controls except for select Nissan stock systems. Its also really slick for phone calls. Either way, good shot on the battery info, and good luck on the stereo setup. I personally will never use a FM transmitter again after having Bluetooth in-car. Blows its doors off.