1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Battery

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by gclo85, Mar 15, 2012.

1. gclo85

gclo85 New Member

I just got a Razr Maxx from Amazon Wireless yesterday. How am I able to tell that the extended battery is working? When I go into status, I'm only seeing 1 battery. I also have been using it pretty heavily since 7 AM and it's down to 80%. Is that good or do I just need to break in the battery by draining and charging?
  2. ccgustavus

ccgustavus New Member

There is only one battery, and if you are at 80 with heavy usage since 7, that's about average. You can drain battery, some will say it helps, others say its a waste.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

There is no benefit to cycling the battery to "break it in". The battery will have it's greatest ability to hold a charge immediately after manufacture and will gradually lose capacity over time whether you use it our not. Expected shelf life of a Lithium Ion Polymer battery is approximately 3 years to 70% of original capacity which is considered end of life. You can minimize the effect by charging and discharging properly.

At least once, and better to do once every month or two, power the phone completely off, then charge to 100%, then power on and use normally until you get the low battery notice at 15%, then charge while powered off again and you're done. Don't let it drain below 15% if at all possible, and avoid ever allowing it to drain completely and power down on it's own. If this happens, immediately put it on charge and charge fully once again. It's better for the battery to do shorter multiple charges through the day than one long charge followed by a full discharge every night, as the battery will last longer.

Ignore and recommendations to either "cycle" the battery or to "deep discharge" it. Cycling simply takes one of it's finite number of useable cycles away, and deep discharging could result in permanent damage to the battery or the phone could become unresponsive to power or charge "black screen of death".
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

My battery indicator is around 30% at the end of my 15 hour day of useage while entirely away from any wifi connection. With a wifi connection for the full time my battery is at 40% after the 2nd day of useage. Pretty impressive if you ask me and 8 am a heavy user of my phone not only as a phone but as aocket computer. I have been unable to kill this phones battery in any single 15 hour days useage. Best phone I ever had and will be better nice ICS is pushed out to it.
  5. cece5702

cece5702 Member

If you dont mind me asking, what do you consider heavy usage?
  6. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

In excess of 75 emails a day from two email accounts, in excess of 50 texts per day, accessing calendar to enter or alter events 25 times a day, enter or alter to do list 25 times a day. Access excel spreadsheets 20 times a day as well as the same amount of word documents all of which are held in cloud storage. Creating and accessing over 20 PDF files daily using documents to go or cam scanner applications. Reading news articles for at least 45 minutes daily, google talk events at least 15 per day, checking on stock exchange and specific stocks at least 4 times a day, ereader access at least 30 minutes a day. Access on line bible application at least 15 minutes a day. Web useage at least 20 minutes a day. I might mention that all of my data is held on the cloud not on my phone so all of this time is utilizing a provider network, home wifi network or on the go hotspots.
  7. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Do you use your phone much? Wow!!!! Lol.....
  8. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

So much so I purchased the Lapdock 500 Pro for my Razr Maxx for efficiency of operation of features that are not specifically dedicated to actual phone useage with is about 45 minutes per day. Also use the phones GPS when needed.
  9. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Well I must say, seems like you get maximum use out of your Maxx! :)
  10. MAXXimumPOWER

MAXXimumPOWER New Member

Am I the only one with bad luck with this battery? At first I chalked up the battery being broken in, then it started to work as advertised. I would go two to three days between charges going between 4g and wifi and never charged it overnight. Now all of a sudden the phone loses 10 percent as soon as I turn it on in the morning and I have barely probably never used 4g and may get 8 to 10 hours of life if I'm lucky. I know you're probably wondering why I'd complain about that but compared to two days it's a drop off. Thoughts"
  11. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Without going into a long explanation, the 10% drop you see is not a problem, it's a circumstance. While charging, the charging circuitry shuts down charging once the battery reaches 100% to prevent overcharging, a potentially dangerous situation. Once done, it continues to monitor the state of charge while the battery slowly discharges. Once the state of charge reaches 90%, the charger resumes charging back to 100%, and the whole routine starts over again.

When you remove it from charge, it could be anywhere between the 100% or 90% depending on when you happen to remove it. Since the meter reads in 10% increments, it will display 100% until it drops to 90%, at which point it will display 90% which could be minutes or an hour.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
Search tags for this page
android app to prevent overcharging
droid maxx not charging over 30%
droid razr maxx won't charge past 30%

droid razr maxx wont charge past 50

droid razr maxx wont charge past 50%

droid razr not charging past 50

droid razr only charging to 50

droid razr won't charge past 30

droid razr won't charge past 50%