1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Battery Use in 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kip256, Jun 24, 2010.

1. kip256

kip256 New Member

My battery life in 2.2 on my Moto Droid has gotten worse recently, and I am not sure if its the 2.2 build (2.6.32.9) or if it is an app that I am running. Well, I checked the battery use (settings > about phone > battery use) and noticed that it does not show all the apps that are using the battery, like 2.1 did. it only shows 4 or 5 items as apposed to 10-12 items. the 4-5 items are not apps too, they are OS processes. is there anything that can be done to see what apps are killing my phone? or did 2.2 make this more difficult? thanks.
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I've noticed the same thing - it seems to only show the top few battery hogs, not everything. Very annoying.
  3. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie

Are you OC? If so are you running SetCPU? I have specific profiles set up in my SetCPU for various battery levels and I have actually improved my battery life. I also have my profiles for "On Demand". I am not sure if you are using this or not but this might be one place to start looking to improve your battery life.
  4. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

When I originally installed 2.2 I noticed battery not lasting as long as it did with 2.1. At that time I was running an 800, 5 slot OC kernel. Can't recall which one. Since then I have tried several kernels and finally landed on P3Droids 1200 OC 7 slot kernel. I run SetCPU at 850 max and 125 min. My battery life has increased and is now better than when I ran 2.1. I'm not saying this particular kernel will give you better life. But playing around with several kernels till you find one that works for you may be the ticket. Everyone uses their phone differently so what works for me may actually decrease your battery life.

I also notice that if I use the Droid heavily for a couple hours the battery drains pretty fast. Why? Because it never gets a chance to throttle down to 125 mhz. So when I use it heavily and I don't need a lot of speed I will crank SetCPU down to 700 mhz max. I can squeeze another hour to hour and a half out of the battery this way.

Nate
  5. kip256

kip256 New Member

i am oc, and using setcpu. i do ondemand at 900max and 300min. i havn't changed that but recently my battery has dropped quicker then normal (im moderate to heavy use). i guess my main complaint is the inability to see whats killing my battery, app wise, in the battery use and want to know if there is a solution. so i can either cut back on the app or stop using it.
  6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

You should not have to worry about what app is using your battery. That would be akin to a dog chasing his own tail.

Your battery is being killed because you're running the CPU at a higher frequency than it was set up to do. Lower that lower threshold and see if that improves it a bit. If the processor never gets below 300 mhz then it will consume battery power all day and all night long. Let it rest when it's not being used. Let on-demand ramp it up when you need it.

Nate
  7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I beg to differ - and that analogy doesn't make much sense.

In 2.1 you could see battery usage for every app, but in 2.2 it only shows a small number. Right now, for example, I see "Display", "Phone Idle" and "Cell standby". And that's all! Not very helpful! I want to know ALL the apps, even if they are a low percentage.

300Mhz is not very high - and it's a perfectly reasonable lower limit. Some people even put their lower limit at 400Mhz. I doubt that is the cause of battery use reduction. Something is using cpu time, and the built-in tools aren't helping root it out.
  8. kip256

kip256 New Member

Yeah, hopefully the official 2.2 build will have this problem solved
  9. cnmsales

cnmsales New Member

dlwhtrose. Just wondering if you could share with me the settings you have in SETcpu? Also what kernel you are using?
  10. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

So, my understanding of Android is different than yours. Maybe I'm all screwed up. I thought that Android was designed to handle all the open apps to reduce battery consumption. And I thought that higher Mhz means more heat which means more battery power consumption. My bad. I'll go back to reading again.

Nate
  11. kip256

kip256 New Member

some apps are poorly written in a way that causes the cpu to be maxed out non stop, where it can't slow down. that is what is causing the battery loss. and unfortunately I can't figure out which app it is anymore. and Mhz or Ghz is speed, the 1Ghz snapdragon isn't a 1 ghz cause it gets hotter, cause it processes faster (and causing higher battery consumption)
  12. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    I am using P3 1.2 mhz kernel. My settings are as follows:

Max 1100 Mhz
    Min 250 Mhz On Demand, Auto-refresh, set on boot

Profiles:

Charging: 700 max, 250 min, on demand
    Sleep/Standby: 500 max, 250 min, on demand
    Battery Profiles:
    Power < 100% 1100 max, 250 min, on demand
    Power < 50% 900 max, 250 min, on demand
    Power < 32% 700 max, 250 min, on demand
    Failsafe:
    Temp > 39.2 C 500 max, 250 min, on demand.

I use my text moderately throughout the day to my kids, I use facebook a lot and then internet. I start using my Droid around 6:30 a.m and go to bed around 10 p.m. Most days when I go to bed and plug it up to charge I have at least 30-40% battery left. Sometimes higher depending on how much it sat idle.

Hope this helps.
  13. cnmsales

cnmsales New Member

Hmmm I dont know why im having so many issues then since moving to 2.2. Im running the PS3 LV 125 Min 1100 Max Kernel.

I have all my profile settings either matching yours, or even lower in some cases. And I unplug my phone from battery @ 8AM and by Noon I am @ at least 70%, If not worse.

I do see that you are running version 1.0 of kangerade. I am on 1.1. Could this be making that big of a difference?