Battery Usage Comparison!

solorca

Reaction score
I have been playing Droidlive for about two hours now and noticed a significant drop in the amount of juice my battery has left. I am wondering about the general expectation for battery usage?

For instance...

- How long does your battery last while playing music (Pandora, Slacker, etc.?)

- How many hours of display use does it usually take to kill your battery?

I have an extended battery now and usually get a full day without any issue, but i'm noticing more and more drain with certain programs. Droidmod also seems to be a HUGE drain on the battery.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can run Pandora, iHeartRadio, WifiTether for upwards of 8 hours before I need to recharge.

I get about 2 days of normal use out of the phone with one charge.

GPS is the battery killer, make sure it's not actively working all the time.

I've been running DroidMod and SholesMod since they became popular, with no changes. OC'd to 800mhz.

faxman75

Reaction score
Here's what I do. I have aut sync and background data syncing turned off. Wifi is always off as well. I have mylock so I put the screen to sleep once i'm done doing whatever I need to do on my phone and see the screen. I have also turned my brightness all the way down (can still see everything perfectly IMO) and use task killer.

I use my phone as a music player at work. Before I changed all of these settings I was getting about 3 hours or so and that was with regular use, checking e-mails, texting a handful of times and having the media player or a music app going the entire time.

Today I unplugged with 100% when I woke up. I'm currently at 6.5 hours straight. No breaks in music listening, that's 3.5 hours of media player listening, 3 hours of droid live lite app listening, a dozen or so text messages, zero phone calls and 10 minutes or so of web surfing and briefly connecting to the marketplace to search for maybe 2 minutes.

My battery has been blinking 5% for over an hour now but still going. I will post final results when it completely drains.

Brokn68

Reaction score
I get a good day or so of average use before I have to charge.

faxman75

Reaction score
Phone just died. I used the screen a bit more in the last hour or so. Sent a few more texts, continued streaming music over the net with an app and even used the phone again setting up an interview for tomorrow. So with using the media player for 3.5 hours and streaming on droid live lite for 4.5 hours and using texting, phone calls, facebook and the marketplace lightly, i got a full 8 hours out of the stock battery with the Motorola Droid.

Is that good? Bad? About right?

anewday

Reaction score
Phone just died. I used the screen a bit more in the last hour or so. Sent a few more texts, continued streaming music over the net with an app and even used the phone again setting up an interview for tomorrow. So with using the media player for 3.5 hours and streaming on droid live lite for 4.5 hours and using texting, phone calls, facebook and the marketplace lightly, i got a full 8 hours out of the stock battery with the Motorola Droid.

That is very good. How many apps have you installed?

faxman75

Reaction score

That is very good. How many apps have you installed?

Installed...
Advanced Audio Manager
Advanced Task Killer
Alice
Astro Player
Barcode scanner
wefi connect
wave secure
droidlive lite
goggles
handscent sms
mylock
listen
live scores
livelist
maps
B of A banking
moto torch led
movies
paypal
photobucket
pkt auctions ebay
pro zoom camera 5x
shazam
tip calculator
ustream broadcaster
video player
weather bug

Now mind they aren't running. Like I said I use task killer and about the only things running all the time are whatever i'm using to listen to music, weather bug, alarm clock and mylock. Nothing else. I use task killer after I use everything like messaging and making phone calls. So basically apps are only open when i'm using them.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Your overuse of Task Killer may be part of your problem. There is no need to kill things when you stop using them. If you are killing off things the phone needs it will kill more battery restarting them. The biggest battery drainer is usally the display. Is the display on the whole time you are using driod lite? If so that is where most of your battery is probably going. Check the Battery Usage under Settings and it will tell you what is using your battery.

faxman75

Reaction score
Your overuse of Task Killer may be part of your problem. There is no need to kill things when you stop using them. If you are killing off things the phone needs it will kill more battery restarting them. The biggest battery drainer is usally the display. Is the display on the whole time you are using driod lite? If so that is where most of your battery is probably going. Check the Battery Usage under Settings and it will tell you what is using your battery.

Part of what problem? I didn't think I had a problem, anewday just said the 8 hours of battery while running media music the entire time was good.

I'm killing off things i'm not needing or using. Did you read any of my posts? If you don't kill things once you are done using them they keep running and using battery for no reason at all. This is why a program like task killer exists.

Am I the crazy one? :icon_ banana:

Detcord

Reaction score
i get about 4 hours of robodefense... otherwise with vigilant app killing i get about 1.5 days til it starts blinking at me. thats about 1500 texts(i rarely actually use the phone part of this amazing handheld computer.

tho when im drinking, i head out at about 10pm and my battery is about finished by the time i run out of the fat girls apartment around 8am. duno what i do with it when im hammered but it requires carrying an extra battery to get my cab.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm killing off things i'm not needing or using. Did you read any of my posts? If you don't kill things once you are done using them they keep running and using battery for no reason at all. This is why a program like task killer exists.
He seems to have read your posts from what I can tell. Did you read his? He directly addressed your question about background apps using battery (as do other task killer threads). Yours is a common misconception.

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
I'm going to estimate how long I think my phone can run.

If I'm watching YouTube videos or videos taken on the droid, surfing the internet, listening to Pandora radio, talking on the phone...it seems like my phone will run for about 3-4 hours of off and on and continous use, then the battery low warning comes on. So I'm assuming the battery will last approx 3-4 hours.

Does this sound correct?

Last edited: