battery telling me to charge when it doesn't need it

OP
ThirdWave

ThirdWave

Reaction score
on May 30 at 8pm the 5% demon surfaced. I called Moto to let them know.. they wanted me to send that one back in and use a Moto Devour... I said... mmm no thank you and will keep them posted on when it happens again.

Today I got a call from Moto and was told that they do recognize this issue and a fix will hopfully go out in the near future.
dancedroid

LLIB9999

Reaction score
I've had my Droid 2 months, no problems of note except that if I unplug the charger and turn the phone off overnight, it shows 60% charge when I plug it back in in the morning. Any idea why this would be?

LLIB9999

Reaction score
Addendum to above: The phone is 100% prior to turning it off.

movadoevo8

Reaction score
Thirdwave, That is great to hear. Please keep us posted on what they find on this issue...

The battery issue happened to me too as well, never before and now when it happened im running Froyo 2.2 and 1.1 kernel/ rooted.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice any mention on thread (sorry if I missed it), but has the battery been swapped out with another? It might be sending the phone false information.

Of course, now that I have the extended battery I get that all the time, despite the fact that I have several hours left.

OP
ThirdWave

ThirdWave

Reaction score
I didn't notice any mention on thread (sorry if I missed it), but has the battery been swapped out with another? It might be sending the phone false information.

Of course, now that I have the extended battery I get that all the time, despite the fact that I have several hours left.

Stock battery when the issue happened on my original phone. Stock battery on my wife's phone when it happened. We switched batteries for S&Gs and it still happened.

No froyo here.. my latest 5% demon(5-30-10) appeared on a phone that was only 2 wks out of the box fresh from Motorola themselves running 2.1 and it hasn't done it again...

nmos

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the same issue or not but yesterday I was attempting to calibrate Battery Left. I got a few apps running in the background and after about 8 - 10 hours it was down to 5% but I left it running. About an hour later it rebooted itself and was back to 60%. This morning it was back down under 10%. This was with the stock Moto Battery. I also did a test with another battery (cheap Generic) where I ran it under the heavyest load I could come up with and it was down to 5% within a little over 2 hours but continued for another hour before I gave up and plugged it in on my way to work. I have no idea how much longer it would have gone.

Does anyone know if the battery charge status is handled by Android or if it's done at a lower level? My guess is that LiOn batteries are too dangerous for Moto to have left there care up to 3rd party software but who knows. My understanding is that with this type of battery the state of charge is based on the voltage across the battery only so if there were a momentary glitch in that measurement it might cause odd behavior.