battery/task managers/scripts

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Shelooga, May 7, 2010.

1. Shelooga

Shelooga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so i have a few questions. im running bugless @1100lv
    battery life has been awful, so i deleted petes file, running setcpu with ondemand, 80% up threshold, 100 power save bias and i also deleted my task manager. theres so much back and forth, im not sure if deleting the task manager was a good move. im trying to get concrete info, not 'my phone has better battery life when i use a task manager i think'
    should i be using a manager? when i open quick system info i love seeing 100mb+ of free memory. obviously when ive run browser, skymaps, market etc, it drops down to around 60.

is anyone else seeing that their cpu temp jumps 25c going from idle to running a few apps? seems irregular to me.
    is the android os really competent enough to not need a task killer?
    if i run the script 'free100mb' will that increase my performace or battery life, or interfere with using multiple programs?

just trying to optimize battery and not be slowed down a bit

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not particularly happy with the battery life on 1.0 vs 0.9 and earlier, either. I'm still investigating the cause.

I'm a firm believer that task killers CAN be used for good or evil. I had mine set up to kill a lot of things when the screen turned off. Battery life was amazing when most of the time it's doing very little. There are some problems with SetCPU I haven't entirely figured out, but I think that could be one of the causes of my battery life problems (updating temps, speeds, or widgets too frequently). I also found that the various things I was doing to diagnose the problem were making it WORSE.

Currently: I uninstalled SetCPU and my terminal emulator (so I wouldn't be tempted to tinker). I'm running the 800Mhz low-voltage bekit kernel and doing not much with the phone. I use "Battery Graph" set on a 5-minute update interval to check battery charge remaining. At 12:30 it registered that it dropped to 80%. At 2:19 it's still at 80%. Not that this is by ANY means an accurate measure, but generally each 10% section takes about the same amount of time to cross, so I use that measure to see how it's doing. At my current configuration, it's ~1h40/10%. Previously I was seeing more like 30m.

When I find a configuration that I'm happy with, I'll be sure to post it.