Battery suddenly died

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid MAXX' started by TheOldFart, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    My wife got her Maxx last week and the battery life has been terrific. She doesn't use the phone much, so after 3 days the battery was still at 49%. She had used it for an hour or 2 reading the news while out having coffee. She was reading the news on the phone this morning and all of a sudden got a low battery message that it was at 15%. When she turned it on less than an hour ago it was at 49%. I looked at it and it was at 11% by the time I got around the table and I watched it drop 1% every second until I shut it off at 3%. When I plugged the charger in it showed the battery at 0%. I'm wondering what could be the problem. Perhaps the battery has shorted. I'm charging it now and will see how it behaves after it's charged.

2. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Member

Ratings:
    +12
    If you just used the phone fresh out of the box, without charging at all, then this could well have happened. It sounds like the battery has not learned about itself enough, and was falsely reporting its capacity. Charge it to full, let it run down normally to about 15 percent, then charge it to full again, and you should be good to go.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

3. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    It was turned on at BB to set it up. I then turned it off until we got home and fully charged it before turning it on again. The battery showed 60% just before it was turned off at BB. It's currently off and charging. I told my wife to use it to read the news and web surf at home instead of using her tablet for a few cycles to see how it behaves. I'll make sure that she discharges to less than 15% each cycle for a few cycles. Hopefully it's just a calibration problem and not a battery failing. It seems to be charging normally right now.

4. doogald

doogald Active Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I agree that it sounds like a calibration problem. I'd start worrying if you see weird battery behavior after a few charge cycles.

5. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I took it off the charger at 100%, turned it on and BatteryLife reported the charge at 100% and 4304 mV. The voltage seems a bit high to me, as I've read on various sites that the maximum charge voltage for Li-Ion batteries should be 4.2 V for long life. It was charging while we were out, so it probably sat on the charger at 100% for a couple of hours before we got home. I'll have to see what BatteryLife reports for my One the next time I charge it.

6. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    My wife doesn't use her phone much, so it's taking a while to run through battery cycles. I charged it to 100% 5 days ago and it's now at 23%, with no big sudden drops. However, the battery percentage does jump around a bit, like 28%, 27, 28, 27, 29, 28, 26, 27, 26, 25, etc. Neither my One nor our Galaxy tablets do this. Even her 2 year old Galaxy Player doesn't do this. They all just go down in steady 1% increments. Perhaps a couple of charge cycles will correct this, but she's worried that it might be a phone or battery problem. I did a search and have found that people have reported much more variation with different phones. It's just that her Maxx is the only Android device that we have that doesn't do a steady decline.

Here's an example:
    View attachment 67724 View attachment 67725

The jumping up and down also makes the Weekly Battery Usage chart report a much greater than actual percentage daily drop.

#6 TheOldFart, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. doogald

doogald Active Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I think the battery increment jumping by a percent up every once in a while is normal on this phone. I don't see it much, but I did see it yesterday when I drained it to below 50% for the first time in weeks (I actually went two full days without charging overnight for the first time since I bought the phone in August.)

My theory is that battery percentage is just an estimate based on voltage levels, etc., reported by the battery pack, and that the results can by mis-estimated by a percent or two occasionally.

It may be the that app you are using is using its own way to estimate battery usage. What do the charts look like in settings->battery?

8. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    The chart in Settings>Battery look the same.

View attachment 67740

The widget that provided the other charts is Battery Monitor Widget.

9. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'd say you have an app running in the background, which has a varied activity schedule on its own.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

10. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +951
    I get the battery jumping around occasionally as well, but nowhere near as much as posted.
    [​IMG]
    I thought maybe it had something to do with the X8 processor.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

11. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I just discovered something. In my Battery Monitor Widget chart, notice how the battery level variations follow the battery voltage variations. These same variations show up in the Android Settings battery level chart. Now, it's normal for the battery voltage to vary up and down depending on the power being used due to CPU power, auto screen brightness changes, etc. I just compared the chart for the Maxx to one of our Galaxy tablets. The tablet has the same voltage variations, but these don't show corresponding variations on the battery percentage chart. The % goes down, but never goes back up when the voltage goes back up. Neither my One nor the Galaxy tablets show battery % increases, even though the voltage varies. Only the Maxx does. It appears that the Maxx battery % calculation is based on battery voltage. I don't know what else it would be based on. I'm thinking that the other devices work the same, but the calculation doesn't permit the % to increase once it has decreased.

Here's the shot from the Galaxy tablet:

View attachment 67776

P.S. How do I embed images in the test instead of just the link?

12. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    From the screen shot it looks like you've got a BUNCH of syncs going on with low signal strength by looking at the notification bar at the top. That could be the battery killer. Why your voltage, percentage and battery temperature are rising on their own without being charged I have no idea. If it was just voltage and percentage I'd say it's a calibration error but the temperature baffles me.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

Search tags for this page
android battery suddenly dies
android battery voltage drop
battery drops suddenly android
battery suddenly died
battery suddenly died android
phone battery dies suddenly

phone battery suddenly died

phone battery suddenly dying