battery sub-forum

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wondered if there would be any interest in a battery sub-forum . to discuss topics such as how to extend life of battery, proper charging techniques etc .. voice your opinion

OP
justin82

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
99 views no votes.. wow

OP
justin82

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
just a friendly bump

Trash Can

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. The biggest single complaint of most phones is battery life. Lots of bad info is floating around out there regarding charging techniques, calibration, third party chargers, etc. A sub-forum would allow all of this valuable info to be kept in one place.

OP
justin82

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. The biggest single complaint of most phones is battery life. Lots of bad info is floating around out there regarding charging techniques, calibration, third party chargers, etc. A sub-forum would allow all of this valuable info to be kept in one place.

Thanks for your input. Looks like it won't work but hey I tried:)

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

OP
justin82

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bump for last time then a admin can decide what to do with it :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
At risk of sounding like I'm pushing for my own benefit (which I am not), I do believe there is a great amount of confusion regarding the proper care of these phones' batteries and the chargers and battery meters. It's much the same questions/misinformation over and over again. If there were a place we could point people to that covered most of the common characteristics, and spelled out a common plan for others to follow, the end result would be an enhanced user experience for those who visit it, less chance for misinformation to become perceived as accurate due to its popularity in being misstated, and much less frustration and disappointment for those who suffer the issues that improper care result in.

I would love to take time compiling all the information I have dolled out here, and cull out the pertinent questions and relevant answers, but I am trying to do many other things at the same time and finding time to do that is difficult. I will eventually, but it's a work in progres at the moment. Frankly there are plenty of others on these forums that also know a thing or two about proper care of the batteries, so it doesn't have to be a one-man show! I'd much rather it be an open forum just like all the others. No sense in keeping all the information so biased from me.

Thoughts?

Andielyn

Reaction score
FoxKat you have helped me tremendously with your wealth of information on battery care and I can't thank you enough. I, like many others I presume, came to the forum seeking help and and education and have gotten that in abundance. Your detailed information has not only helped me understand what to expect from my battery but WHY. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

S

SFGate

I also think it would be a good idea to have one place to consolidate info.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I also think it would be a good idea to have one place to consolidate info.

I appreciate your support. The real problem with the issue of batteries in general is that through decades of use, we've become accustomed to the concept of use till it's dead and then throw away, or in the case of rechargeable batteries specifically, we're led to believe (or assume) that all we need to do us use the phone as we see fit and plug in when we need to replenish reserves. There is one big flaw in that mentality. It makes two HUGE errant global assumptions. First it assumes that all batteries are created equal, which couldn't be farther from the truth, especially with recent new battery technologies - namely Lithium based batteries. Secondly, it makes the global assumption that everyone is going to use the phone with the same usage profile and charge to 100% with power off, and drain to 15% on a consistent basis. Ironically however if that were the case (and in many peoples' usage patterns it is), this would result in the worst long-term performance of the battery from a lifespan perspective. But how would they know if nobody tells them?

It's simply counterproductive to charge full and drain full on every cycle from so many perspectives. First off, it stresses the battery and thereby reduces it's usable life by charging to 100% and deep discharging (15% or less) more often than necesary. I fact it can actually extend the battery's serviceable life considerably if we limit our use and charing to somewhere in the 50% to 75% of capacity range. Second, we all have unique usage patterns, due to varying lifestyles, expectations as to what we use our phones for, application installations, access to information services, streaming, access (or lack thereof) to charging sources during the day, proximity to cellular towers and WIFI hotspots, and the list goes on and on. For ANYONE to say that one battery and one charging profile fits all is just plain ludicrous. :icon_eek:

So where do we go from here? I see all too many times, someone giving advice which they believe in their own minds is good and safe advice, usually gleaned from another who felt the same way when they conveyed this information, only to be giving the WRONG advice, and in many cases the worst possible advice ("drain the battery completely till it powers off at 0%", or "charge to 100%, then unplug, remove the battery and reinsert or power down and plug back in to 'pump' the battery", for instance). What they think they are doing is helping people to get the most from their batteries, but instead they are advising them to circumvent the protections put in place by the manufacturers of the batteries and phones designed to protect the batteries from such abuse, and to prevent the batteries (and the owner) from potential catastrophic damage.

Case in point, read and view the information below...

Counterfeit cell phone batteries (clone batteries)

In the search for low-cost battery replacements, consumers may inadvertently purchase clone cell phone batteries that do not include an approved protection circuit. Lithium-ion packs require a protection circuit to shut off the power source if the charger malfunctions and keep on charging, or if the pack is put under undue stress (electrical short). Overheating and 'venting with flame' can be the result of such strain. (See photos of an exploded cell phone with clone battery on charge.)

parttwo-37a.JPG

Photos of a cell phone with a clone battery
that exploded while left on charge in a car

parttwo-37b.JPG

parttwo-37c.JPG

Cell phone manufacturers strongly advise customers to replace the battery with an approved brand. Failing to do so may void the warranty. Counterfeit cell phone batteries have become visible since the beginning of 2003 when the world was being flooded with cheap replacement batteries from Asia.

Cell phone manufacturers act out of genuine concern for safety rather than using scare tactics to persuade customers to buy their own accessories. They do not object to third party suppliers in offering batteries and chargers as long as the products are well built, safe and functioning. The buyer can often not distinguish between an original and a counterfeit battery because the label may appear bona fide.

Caution should also be exercised in purchasing counterfeit chargers. Some units do not terminate the battery correctly and rely on the battery's internal protection circuit to cut off the power when fully charged. Precise full-charge termination and a working protection circuit are needed for the safe use of the lithium-ion battery.

Folks, these companies aren't trying to make our user experience any worse by trying to profit from making us buy only "their" batteries and "their" chargers, they are trying to prevent us from making our user experience worse by using potentially inferior products. Frankly we have virtually NO WAY OF KNOWING if the battery or charger we use is the right match or if it could result in what you see above. Of course, I am not saying everyone should immediately start thinking of their phone as a block of C4, quite the contrary, but I am saying they need to respect the battery and charging circuits and use them according to tried and tested methods if they want to get the benefits they are wishing for, and don't want the potentially detremental effects they can bring.

I will stand on my soapbox as long as I have to in order to get the masses to start thinking properly with respect to these tiny powerhouses. They are far more powerful than you may realize. The battery in your phone is powerful enough to cause injury or worse from explosion, starting raging fires, or due to inhalation of volatile exhaust fumes if used improperly. Of course those are on the extreme end of the risk versus reward spectrum, but the risk is within reach of those who choose to take matters into their own hands and make poor decisions which are contrary to what the manufacturers specify.

Last edited:

pizza3

Reaction score
Yes!

yes, I applaud your effort here and commend your knowledge. I for one have heard much "authoritative" info on batteries. I have had several good and several counterfeit ones over the years. The latter all seem to come from Hong Kong, though some admittedly was not. How do you tell? I did Google one I bought and someone said if you tear off the cover it will reveal a smaller battery. Sure enough the 2300mah I thought I bought was only 1390 under the wrapper.One battery I bought that really lasted like theysaid was from Gorilla Gadgets. It was 3500 mah for $27 that really lasted. Gave me twice the juice for my Droid X2. My advice: cheap is cheap esp from HK.

OP
justin82

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this thread has got quite a few votes .. we will see what happens