battery saving ??

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I read somewhere that you need to check to make sure your Dinc was set to CDMA not GSM. I can not for the life of me find that post telling me where to check this setting. I know search is my fgriend, I just couldn't find it!

Does someone know where it is or have it bookmarked so I can check it?? My phone is only lasting about 5 hours right now so I need to figure this out

Chris

kmo

Reaction score
Your phone is a CDMA device. Not sure where you got the info that you can switch back and forth between GSM and CDMA, VZW and your INC do not support GSM. If you're phone is looking for a signal all the time then that could be why your battery life sucks right now. How's your signal strength reading? If you're in the -70dBm to -90dBm you should be good. To check your signal strength hit menu/settings/about phone/network. You can check the number there, I usually get around -82dBm to -86dBm give or take. Lower number is better signal, -70dBm is very good, -100dBm not so good.

OP
D

drtnsnw

Reaction score
i know that it was a CDMI only but I could have swore there was a thread about a setting where a bunch of these phones came in GSM first and searched for that network. You went in somewhere and made sure it was checked as cdmi only
Oh yeah, I am at between 88 and 96 on the meter
Chris

kmo

Reaction score
If you go to the same place I mentioned, menu/settings/about phone/network you will see "mobile network type" and it will say (CDMA-EvDo rev.A.) This is set automatically and there is no GSM option...

OP
D

drtnsnw

Reaction score
OK thanks,
Not sure where I got that in my head

Chris

OP
D

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I found what I was looking for. Don't know if it will help, but it is worth a shot

Chris

Try this.

1. Press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call").

2. After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

3. Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen.

4.Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

Credit is given to DroidDave over at Android Forums. Link

kmo

Reaction score
So, I don't quite get it. Why is a CDMA device searching for GSM? That doesn't even make sense. What am I missing here? I would love to understand why this would be happening. :confused:

Edit: OK tried this out and my TWS was 0%. I've done a google search on this subject and basically what I found is the signal should be at around 50% if the phone was set to GSM auto (prl) My phone was set to GSM auto (prl) so I did reset it to CDMA auto (prl) I haven't experienced any real battery life issue so I doubt this will help (at least in my case) but I did want to see the screen you were talking about. If I was set to GSM auto (prl) and still had 0% TWS what's up with thin at? Why didn't I see 50% like others have? Still confused about this, plus it seems this resets itself to GSM auto (prl) after a soft reboot (turning phone off/on.) Why would VZW/HTC (whoever) put a feature like this in a phone knowing most average users would never even know about it and why does it rest itself to GSM auto (prl) after shutting down? Basically you have to perform this reset every time you turn off your phone, that's crazy. Maybe someone can school me on this.

OP
D

drtnsnw

Reaction score
IDK?? follow the instructions and see what yours says. Mine was GSM

Chris

kmo

Reaction score
Also quoted from this subject>>>"Actually, once you get into the testing menu, You DO NOT have go to Menu-Select Radio Band until you scroll down the page and look to see what your Preferred Network Type is set to. If it already says CDMA auto, then you don't need to change it. If it says GSM, then you can change it. I've found that if you're configured for CDMA auto, and you choose the Select Radio Band option, it changes the network type over to GSM, which then you have to change back."
Not really sure this will do anything, but I will see over time if this has any affect at all....still good info to know in any case.

Update: After having entered the number (*#*#4636#*#*) once, if you are at your home screen you can hold down the home button, a window will pop up with recently run items. Look for an icon named "Testing" just press that and it opens up without having to re-dial the number. Not sure why I am messing with this, curious I guess. I think this is some feature put on the phones at manufacturing. Not meant for the average user or this would be an option in the "owners manual" some where. This is probably an HTC thing. These Android devices share a lot of hardware/software and some devices will end up with GSM carrier's. It's probably less expensive to manufacturer a phone with both (GSM/CDMA) capabilities built in prior to the build. My phone was also set to GSM auto (prl) when I checked it. Switched to CDMA auto (prl) and have been using it in CDMA auto (prl) today. So far I see no difference in my battery life. My TWS was reading 0% when I was set to GSM auto (prl) and is still reading 0% set to CDMA auto (prl.) I really think this is a placebo fix and won't make any real difference, unless I see someone with some hard evidence to the contrary...

One more thing, 2 quotes from another site: ["This doesn't make a lot of sense as by default, my phone was already CDMA/Auto once I got to the Phone Information screen. Once I pressed menu then Radio Band, it then defaulted to GSM and I had to change it back. I suspect that if everyone looked before doing step 3 they would most likely see the phone is set to CDMA/Auto."
"I noticed the same thing. If you scroll down when you get to Phone Information, you can see this. And each time you do the Select Radio Band, it shows GSM Auto as the default. I think it shows this because it is at the top of the list."]

I will check again when I power down to see if it resets to GSM auto (prl) or it stays on the CDMA auto (prl) setting...