Battery saving apps

eap369

Reaction score
I would like to know your guys experience on battery saving apps because my phone does not hold its charge like a lot of people that get 20 hours, I heard juice defender is good any other please share :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC rooted

rumblee1

Reaction score
I read in a forum that jd wasn't good. I'm having great battery life on my bionic. When Im at work, there's no wifI, so I shut that down and no 4g, so I shut that down. I can go all day with that. With wifi on, I can still go all day with moderate use. When she's running everything including 4g, I go about 10-12 hours with moderate use. That's great for a 4g LTE phone. I did buy an extra battery and external charger that comes together from Verizon in case I'm out and it is needed. This only happened once on vacation and I was using the camera and camcorder almost nonstop. I believe I paid around 39.00 for the kit. It charges the extra battery and the phone together. Very handy. Make sure you get the genuine Motorola battery. I tried getting the deal battery on ebay for my droid x, and the most I could get out of it was 2-3 hours. Worth spending the extra few dollars.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

TatDroid

Reaction score
The "difference maker" on Bionic battery life seems to be the 4G LTE service (as seems to be the case with all LTE phones) People using 3G only tend to be the ones reporting 20+ hours of battery life. Those on 4G (or constantly going from 3G to 4G to 3G) often report battery life in the 8 to14 hour range.

I'm generalizing, there are exceptions, (and I'm sure we'll hear from them in the following posts) but this seems to be the way many people report battery life.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I have an auto kill list set in the stock Task Manager app that helps knock out any apps that constantly poll 4G data such as Skype.
As soon as I did that my battery life jumped way up

OP
eap369

eap369

Reaction score
Thanks for those post I think the you do have a point with people reporting long hours on 3g im in a 4g. Network so im guessing thats why im draining fast I don't turn off 4g because I always have good service. Also the stock manager is handy I will try adding up some apps in that auto kill. I will report back but here's a video I found on youtube let me know what you guys think

[video=youtube;cvWg7SbUgsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWg7SbUgsI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

AllieBaba

Reaction score
juice defender doesn't seem to work for me! i have a droid 2. any others THAT work???? please & thank you

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although I've used Juice Defender on my OG Droid I never saw much difference. It would turn WiFi on every 15 minutes even when WiFi wasn't available. I had to customize a bit for it and even so the the battery seemed to last just as long as when Juice Defender was turned off. Go figure.

As others have mentioned, Location and Apps contribute a lot to battery life. If you're in a poor location, the phone uses more power to try to maintain a good signal. And if you have an app that keeps polling that can wear a battery down too.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those post I think the you do have a point with people reporting long hours on 3g im in a 4g. Network so im guessing thats why im draining fast I don't turn off 4g because I always have good service. Also the stock manager is handy I will try adding up some apps in that auto kill. I will report back but here's a video I found on youtube let me know what you guys think

Thanks for posting that. There was a second video on data settings that was very informative.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Battery Life – BY: NoBloatware on DF (with a few edits by me)

If you are having short battery life:

Consider doing a factory reset. Do not sync apps, wifi connections, etc. with Google services as that may cause a problem. Install all apps and wifi connections from scratch. A bit of a pain, but not too bad.- install a home/launcher replacement. I use Go Launcher EX, which is free, and I love it. No reason not to try out an alternative launcher as you can always go back to how you had it.

- Don't use an automatic task killer--not even the one that comes with the phone. Reboot your phone and look at what's running. If anything that you've installed is running and there's no reason for it, then uninstall it and find an alternative that behaves. Ignore any stock apps that run on boot as I've found them to be more or less benign.

- Weather widgets, live wallpapers, news/social feeds, any app or service that you use that runs--do without it if you can. If you can’t do without it, lengthen it’s refresh time.

- Don't use antivirus

- Set your WIFI sleep policy to never. The default is "turn off when screen turns off". This will cause the wifi to reconnect every time you open the phone. From any Home Screen select Menu/Settings/Wireless & Networks/ and then use the Menu button to see some new options - select Advanced. Then select Wifi Sleep Policy and set it to Never. Home key to return to Home Screen.

- If you have access to wifi, leave it toggled on as it is more efficient than 3G. Wifi consumes less battery power than 3G.

- I leave GPS toggled on too by the way. Apps use it as needed. When I'm done with Maps or an app that uses it, I'm sure to return to the home screen so GPS can stop. Under wireless settings turn on "Google location services" so that an app is able to use network resources to get your location instead of GPS. I have "VZW location services" turned off--don't know why that option is even there. By the way, I increase the speed of voice output > text to speech > speech rate because I like the directions to get spit out faster. That saves a bit of battery. Turning off the display and just listening for directions help. Also, often I just get the directions and then exit back to the home screen: GPS uses so much battery I try to get it over with ASAP.

- When you get a 1) new battery, 2) do a factory reset, or 3) an OS upgrade - run your battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and then charge the battery all the way up. This will calibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity. Do this once every month or two also, but don't do it too often if you can help it.

- I have my battery set to "Performance Mode" and data is on all the time because I am on call 24x7. If you don't mind, try out a more conservative battery profile to save more gobs of energy.

- Set screen brightness to "Automatic"

- Under Accounts, click on any account listed and turn off sync for any items that you're not interested in syncing. For example, Google Books if you don't use it. Don't use Backup Assistant--I prefer syncing my contacts with Google. You don't need both. Also go into your contacts > menu > display options > backup assistant > UNCHECK. Also do contacts > menu > more > settings > contact storage > and select your Google account and "remember this choice"

- Turn on Bluetooth only when you are going to use it.

- Consider turning off voice privacy. This may not be a big deal but it will save some processing (and therefore battery). It may also improve call quality.

-T off haptic feedback, animations, and any un-needed sounds in Android settings and in your apps

- Set your screen timeout to as low a time as you can stand (I use 1 minute) and manually turn the screen off when you’ve finished using the phone.

- Turn off in-pocket detection

- Keyboard: turn off vibrate on key press and sounds for any keyboards you use

- Use a red or black screen background. On the original Droid screen--not sure about this Bionic screen--red was the most efficient color that could be displayed.

- Camera app: I like keeping location on and flash on auto. Consider turning location off or at least returning to the home screen ASAP when using camera if location for camera is on.

- In stock browser the default home page is Google and it uses your location. This is a bad idea as it can waste your battery for no reason. Make something else your home page and make sure to close any web page that uses your location when you're done viewing it.

- Charge your phone via the wall charger instead of computer USB as it is faster. Also, don't use long USB cords--use regular power extension cords instead. I stick with the charger that came with the phone. Put the phone on charger when you go to bed every night.

- Consider installing the Home Replacement app Zeam. It is basic app that uses very few resources and will help with battery power.

OP
eap369

eap369

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. There was a second video on data settings that was very informative.

No problem yea there's like 6 videos but I did nt want to post them all its pretty self explanatory by saying part 1 lol it did help me understand better so glad I could help. I just I stalled the th3ory 2.2 ics rom and this has made my battery life last alot longer I recommend it

nubia

Reaction score
Thank you

gmdoggies

Reaction score
Battery Life – BY: NoBloatware on DF (with a few edits by me)

If you are having short battery life:

Consider doing a factory reset. Do not sync apps, wifi connections, etc. with Google services as that may cause a problem. Install all apps and wifi connections from scratch. A bit of a pain, but not too bad.- install a home/launcher replacement. I use Go Launcher EX, which is free, and I love it. No reason not to try out an alternative launcher as you can always go back to how you had it.

- Don't use an automatic task killer--not even the one that comes with the phone. Reboot your phone and look at what's running. If anything that you've installed is running and there's no reason for it, then uninstall it and find an alternative that behaves. Ignore any stock apps that run on boot as I've found them to be more or less benign.

- Weather widgets, live wallpapers, news/social feeds, any app or service that you use that runs--do without it if you can. If you can’t do without it, lengthen it’s refresh time.

- Don't use antivirus

- Set your WIFI sleep policy to never. The default is "turn off when screen turns off". This will cause the wifi to reconnect every time you open the phone. From any Home Screen select Menu/Settings/Wireless & Networks/ and then use the Menu button to see some new options - select Advanced. Then select Wifi Sleep Policy and set it to Never. Home key to return to Home Screen.

- If you have access to wifi, leave it toggled on as it is more efficient than 3G. Wifi consumes less battery power than 3G.

- I leave GPS toggled on too by the way. Apps use it as needed. When I'm done with Maps or an app that uses it, I'm sure to return to the home screen so GPS can stop. Under wireless settings turn on "Google location services" so that an app is able to use network resources to get your location instead of GPS. I have "VZW location services" turned off--don't know why that option is even there. By the way, I increase the speed of voice output > text to speech > speech rate because I like the directions to get spit out faster. That saves a bit of battery. Turning off the display and just listening for directions help. Also, often I just get the directions and then exit back to the home screen: GPS uses so much battery I try to get it over with ASAP.

- When you get a 1) new battery, 2) do a factory reset, or 3) an OS upgrade - run your battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and then charge the battery all the way up. This will calibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity. Do this once every month or two also, but don't do it too often if you can help it.

- I have my battery set to "Performance Mode" and data is on all the time because I am on call 24x7. If you don't mind, try out a more conservative battery profile to save more gobs of energy.

- Set screen brightness to "Automatic"

- Under Accounts, click on any account listed and turn off sync for any items that you're not interested in syncing. For example, Google Books if you don't use it. Don't use Backup Assistant--I prefer syncing my contacts with Google. You don't need both. Also go into your contacts > menu > display options > backup assistant > UNCHECK. Also do contacts > menu > more > settings > contact storage > and select your Google account and "remember this choice"

- Turn on Bluetooth only when you are going to use it.

- Consider turning off voice privacy. This may not be a big deal but it will save some processing (and therefore battery). It may also improve call quality.

-T off haptic feedback, animations, and any un-needed sounds in Android settings and in your apps

- Set your screen timeout to as low a time as you can stand (I use 1 minute) and manually turn the screen off when you’ve finished using the phone.

- Turn off in-pocket detection

- Keyboard: turn off vibrate on key press and sounds for any keyboards you use

- Use a red or black screen background. On the original Droid screen--not sure about this Bionic screen--red was the most efficient color that could be displayed.

- Camera app: I like keeping location on and flash on auto. Consider turning location off or at least returning to the home screen ASAP when using camera if location for camera is on.

- In stock browser the default home page is Google and it uses your location. This is a bad idea as it can waste your battery for no reason. Make something else your home page and make sure to close any web page that uses your location when you're done viewing it.

- Charge your phone via the wall charger instead of computer USB as it is faster. Also, don't use long USB cords--use regular power extension cords instead. I stick with the charger that came with the phone. Put the phone on charger when you go to bed every night.

- Consider installing the Home Replacement app Zeam. It is basic app that uses very few resources and will help with battery power.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
What has more than tripled battery life on my DX, is unchecking Background data and Data enabled in Data manager>Data delivery settings. You can still get calls, but your phone won't sync, backup or update. I'll turn it on manually once or twice a day for those! Although I engage in other battery saving strategies, like using Juice Defender, dark still wallpaper, Wifi/GPS/Bluetooth off unless needed, those data settings are the most dramatic!