Battery Pull vs. Turning off and on?

wolfman4u

Reaction score
Does powering down and turning the phone back on give the EXACT same effect and results as powering down, and removing the battery, and reinserting the battery and powering back on?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think it varies from phone manufacturer to manufacturer.... but turning your device off and back on would be more like a softboot... but as I said... it may be different for different brands and setups... like the razr isn't able to have a battery pull done. So that would make a battery pull the equivalent of a hard boot???
Don't take this as gospel though...

But this I do know... power cycling your device from either method, once a week is/ was recommended

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
...But this I do know... power cycling your device from either method, once a week is/ was recommended

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Very true. Funny things, these smart phones. I actually reboot my phones once a day (unless I'm flashing, LOL) to avoid any potential problems/memory problems. And I still do that with my G-Nex

Here
is
my
five
lines. ( "King of the Self-Edit'" )

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
A battery pull is normally used for when a phone isn't responding correctly or is frozen. Yes it's the same as turning it off and on.

Now that I think about it, wonder how Razr owners get to restarting the phone if they freeze up....hmmmm.....

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
A battery pull is normally used for when a phone isn't responding correctly or is frozen. Yes it's the same as turning it off and on.

Now that I think about it, wonder how Razr owners get to restarting the phone if they freeze up....hmmmm.....

Pretty sure I remember reading that they have the option of holding in the power button for 10-15 seconds and it simulates a battery pull. Could be wrong because I am going off of memory and not experience since I don't have one.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Pretty sure I remember reading that they have the option of holding in the power button for 10-15 seconds and it simulates a battery pull. Could be wrong because I am going off of memory and not experience since I don't have one.
Ok, just wondering cause I know you can't remove it, well easily at least. Would've hoped Moto thought that through when making the phone:D

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok, just wondering cause I know you can't remove it, well easily at least. Would've hoped Moto thought that through when making the phone:D

That was one of my first thoughts when I saw it didn't have a removable battery since pulls are required from time to time.

wlemammoth

Reaction score
I think the razr works the same as my xoom, you hold the volume button up and the power button at the same time and it will reboot.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I just Googled it to see (which I could have done before) and it's volume down + power for 15 seconds. I had it partially right lol.