Battery pull question

snmemx

Reaction score
I've noticed my Droid running a little slow on email retrieval (gmail) and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on the subject of battery pulls. On my old Blackberry Storm I used a program that automatically rebooted the phone each night to clear memory. I know the Android software is far better than the Berry at memory management and I've also got ATK installed and use that periodically, however I'm curious if there's a software program that'll reboot the phone or if it's sufficient to just turn off the power on the Droid and leave it for a few minutes for memory to clear out.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed my Droid running a little slow on email retrieval (gmail) and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on the subject of battery pulls. On my old Blackberry Storm I used a program that automatically rebooted the phone each night to clear memory. I know the Android software is far better than the Berry at memory management and I've also got ATK installed and use that periodically, however I'm curious if there's a software program that'll reboot the phone or if it's sufficient to just turn off the power on the Droid and leave it for a few minutes for memory to clear out.

Thanks!

When you say slow in gmail retrieval are you saying in regards to how fast it comes up on a computer?

In any case battery pull shouldn't have anything to do with it. If I were you I'd remove ATK, many of us feel that itself causes the phone to slow up by interfering with memory management. But I still don't think that will speed up your mail delivery.

OP
S

snmemx

Reaction score

Thanks!

When you say slow in gmail retrieval are you saying in regards to how fast it comes up on a computer?

In any case battery pull shouldn't have anything to do with it. If I were you I'd remove ATK, many of us feel that itself causes the phone to slow up by interfering with memory management. But I still don't think that will speed up your mail delivery.

It's slow in opening an email on the Droid. This thing is so blazingly fast I've gotten spoiled...the last day or so there's 1-2sec of latency between when I click on an email message and when it opens on the phone.

I went ahead and deleted ATK. I can see where manually killing apps could cause some problems with the Android OS.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer to use a task killer, although it isn't the one you're using. Advanced Task Manager (not killer) hasn't caused any problems and definitely speeds the phone up when it gets bogged down. With that said, I have never noticed reboots or a task manager to cause the gmail app to retrieve mail any quicker. Could you possibly be somewhere that has a weak 3G signal?

OP
S

snmemx

Reaction score
I actually prefer to use a task killer, although it isn't the one you're using. Advanced Task Manager (not killer) hasn't caused any problems and definitely speeds the phone up when it gets bogged down. With that said, I have never noticed reboots or a task manager to cause the gmail app to retrieve mail any quicker. Could you possibly be somewhere that has a weak 3G signal?

could be a weak signal...not sure. I'm going to give ATM a try...also turned off the phone after uninstalling ATK. Hopefully it was just a "little crowded in the memory room".

get quad

Reaction score
Why pull the battery when you can open the keyboard and press Shift-Alt-Del to cold reboot?

Chipolito

Reaction score
Thanks Quad I have been looking in multiple forums for that exact thing!!! Now do you know if widgetlocker can replace using the top power button to wake the phone up?

Thanks, again!!!