Battery problem

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
It stays at 1% from about 8 to 12 hours. During this period, battery left widget reads 5%, which is the same as the system reading. The phone only supports 10% increments/decrements, however after 20%, it drops to 15%, 10% and 5%. I always let it drain and giving it a 2.5hr+ charge.

Nasa

Reaction score
The reason it does this is the the 3500 battery is a lower operating voltage than the standard battery. The way that a Li-Ion battery works, it can store more voltage than the rated voltage. When it gets down to it's operating voltage, it is a lower voltage, still enough to run on but lower than expected. It will stay this way for a long time untill it finally drains below the operating voltage at which time it will go down very quickly.

Battery Left Pro is a good app to have. With the Pro version you can have multiple battery profiles. It has a calibration feature that works pretty well. I use the app to show voltage and it give me a better indication of what to expect. The only time I use the smaller battery is for a long trip where I dock it in my truck. I have thought about reworking the dock to accommodate the larger battery.

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
Yes I use Battery Left Pro and I have created a profile for the extended battery. It says that it's 95% calibrated.

From where can it show the voltage? Just by going to Battery info? How can the actual voltage determine what to expect from the battery? Battery Monitor Widget shows voltage as a fluctuating graph, meaning that sometimes voltage gets lower and then it gets higher again.

Last edited:

Nasa

Reaction score
Just let it run down to a point where it stops by itself to finish the calibration. What it still doesn't know is how far it can go, and the only thing to make that happen is to let it drain over the normal course of use.

Are you having any problems keeping it charged and it plays out at a bad time? I run min a good 12 hours of fairly heavy use, markets, news, downloads and it usually get down to the point of I have less than 5% remaining then I get home and its going on 13 to 16, use it for mail and TV Guide and after about 18 hours I plug it in by my night stand and take it off charge when my alarm goes off.

biknut1

Reaction score
There's a big difference between cheap from china and a quality one. It's not a matter of brand but quality.
You can't assume that because a moto worked and a cheap one didn't, that the moto is the only one that will charge... That's flawed logic! : P[/Q

'Tis true- sorry to not be clear about what I was saying. What I meant was that many aftermarket chargers for these phones simply do not pass enough mA through them to keep these power-hungry beasts satisfied. Scientifically I don't know why that is, but you can read the specs on them- if they make them available, and you can see that the Moto charger puts out 900-1K mA (or approximately 1 amp) while many aftermarkets put out only 500 mA. THAT is what I meant by saying that many of the cheap chargers won't do the job.

Guess that was a scientific answer after all!

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
Just let it run down to a point where it stops by itself to finish the calibration. What it still doesn't know is how far it can go, and the only thing to make that happen is to let it drain over the normal course of use.

Are you having any problems keeping it charged and it plays out at a bad time? I run min a good 12 hours of fairly heavy use, markets, news, downloads and it usually get down to the point of I have less than 5% remaining then I get home and its going on 13 to 16, use it for mail and TV Guide and after about 18 hours I plug it in by my night stand and take it off charge when my alarm goes off.

No I get pretty decent battery life, with a minimum of 24 hours of usage (with around 6-7 hours of display on and 6-8 hours of wifi on) Even if I let the battery fully drain, Battery Left still shows 95% calibration. However, sometimes if I unplug it from charge as soon as Battery Monitor Widget reaches 100%, I start using it and then at some point it drops drastically, for example it dropped from 90% to 50%.

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
However, sometimes if I unplug it from charge as soon as Battery Monitor Widget reaches 100%, I start using it and then at some point it drops drastically, for example it dropped from 90% to 50%.

This happened again, it dropped from 84% straight to 50%. In a few words, all that has to do with the battery in this phone is totally messed up. Can it be a solution if I SBF to Froyo and re-install GB?

lotzakritters

Reaction score
This happened again, it dropped from 84% straight to 50%. In a few words, all that has to do with the battery in this phone is totally messed up. Can it be a solution if I SBF to Froyo and re-install GB?

Maybe, but really sounds like you have a bad battery.

Sent from my DROID3

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
But how can it be bad if it is giving me decent lifetime?

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
It charges normally, however in order not to have any sudden battery drops, I have to leave it connected to the charger after it reaches 100%.

lotzakritters

Reaction score
It charges normally, however in order not to have any sudden battery drops, I have to leave it connected to the charger after it reaches 100%.

My phone, pretty much does the same thing. But only right after I pull it off the charger. It drops from 100% to 90% right away. After that, it drains pretty normal, for and android.

Sent from my DROID3

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
Is there a method to fully delete battery stats apart from CWM method or deleting batterystats.bin? I would like to restore battery data as though the phone has been switched on for the first time. I'm not willing to SBF right away.