Battery Poop out

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Pro' started by eppo50, Dec 19, 2010.

1. eppo50

eppo50 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a hard time making it through the afternoon with out the battery draining. Have pro on nighttime battery saver. Other than a car charger, any suggestions? dancedroid

2. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Senior Member

Ratings:
    +61
    There are a few other post on this subject...put here are a few suggestions:

GET THE EXTENDED BATTERY FROM VERIZON ($49.00). It improved my battery life by about 35% over the stock battery.

--Dim your screen brightness down to as low as is comfortable for you.
    --Turn-off GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth until you need to use them
    --WiFi uses less battery than 3G...so if your surfing the web use WiFi
    --Control/eliminate any apps/widgets that periodically update themselves, or minimize the frequency that they do so (weather, news, sports, Facebook etc).
    --The fewer apps you have running in the background the better your battery life is going to be
    --Email...again, turn off automatic updates or change the setting to every 30 minutes or 1 hr etc. Best bet for battery life is set it to "manual".
    --The more widgets you have on your home screen the more battery your home screen uses...but this is not a big battery hog.If I
    If your a new user, like myself, you're going to fine yourself "playing" around with you phone for the first couple of days (weeks in my case) so your battery life will gradually get better once you get past that initial phase of a "new phone". Hope these help.

3. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i have to disagree with one thing, the more apps running in the background thing? yeah, I dont think thats too much of a problem, you can't do much about it, taskkills don't save battery at all! I could give you a link as proof, but I'm too lazy :3

4. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Senior Member

Ratings:
    +61
    What I was referring to was the number of icons you have on the home screens...or so I have read here on this forum. Yeah, I agree...not much you can do about background stuff and sometimes a task killer actually makes mad matters worst.

5. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Senior Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Here is a list courtesy of BayouFlyFisher found in a different thread:

1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.

2. Emails: I don't know what email app he uses, but have him try this. It saves battery power and in some cases gets his emails to him quicker. This scheme will have him using only the Gmail app on the phone for all his email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on his computer and log into his Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an options called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll his regular, non-Gmail accounts. He provides the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll his other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to his phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. It will always be at least every five minutes. This saves battery power because on the android os with pop3 accounts they are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop!

4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.

5. If there are widgets on any of the screens that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.

6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.

7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.

8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).

9. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.

10. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app, uninstall. Your phone needs neither.