Battery Pack for Milestone

Daeymon

Reaction score
With the Festival season approaching I'm going to need a Battery Pack that can keep this phone charged up easily for a week. For my previous HTC Windows Mobile PDA I used a 24kmah capacity external usb charger, which did the trick. But it doesn't work for the Milestone.

From what I've read if a USB charger doesn't output more than 850mah then unless its a computer that can send an authorisation signal then the phone won't charge. And my battery packs output is 5v/700mah.

This is an absolute pain. So I'm stuck with a problem and I need a solution. So either I need a new external power pack that can keep this phone going for a week (10kmah+ capacity), and please only recommend something you know works for the Milestone/Droid. Or I need to somehow get the Milestone to charge from a battery pack with an output of less than 850mah.

ohymeagain

Reaction score
You haven't said what you're using for a power source - 12 volt or ac or what? I use a 12 volt cig lighter Rocketfish (meant for an LG) with output of dc 5 volt 600 mA which works fine, also I have a 110 volt to usb adapter, and also use my black MacBook to keep it charged. I bought a couple of spare 1600 mAH batteries I picked up on eBay for $7 each delivered in case I have nothing else handy.

OP
D

Daeymon

Reaction score
It's a USB Battery Pack. Connects via the same USB cable you use on a computer. The battery outputs a charge of 5v/700mah through the cable. Has a total capacity of 24kmah. When I plug it into the Milestone, nothing happens, though when I plug it into my old phone or other USB powered devices, they draw power.

I've searched to find a solution to the issue, thats where I found out bits of information like the Milestone won't charge through the USB on a charge of less than 850mah unless an authorisation signal is sent by the host. As its just a rechargable battery with a USB socket, it obviously cannot send no such signal.

To normally charge my phone I may charge through the USB of a computer or through the wall socket adapter, whatever is easier at the time.

OP
D

Daeymon

Reaction score
I was responding to ohymeagain, I was somewhat confused why he wanted to know what I currently use as my power source. So I just wanted to be more clear what I'm trying to use as a power source, and then actually answer his question. The issue isn't charging my phone normally, the issue is I need a solution for the up coming festivals I enjoy. And using a car to recharge it is also not an option.

ohymeagain

Reaction score
With the Festival season approaching I'm going to need a Battery Pack that can keep this phone charged up easily for a week. For my previous HTC Windows Mobile PDA I used a 24kmah capacity external usb charger, which did the trick. But it doesn't work for the Milestone.

From what I've read if a USB charger doesn't output more than 850mah then unless its a computer that can send an authorisation signal then the phone won't charge. And my battery packs output is 5v/700mah.

This is an absolute pain. So I'm stuck with a problem and I need a solution. So either I need a new external power pack that can keep this phone going for a week (10kmah+ capacity), and please only recommend something you know works for the Milestone/Droid. Or I need to somehow get the Milestone to charge from a battery pack with an output of less than 850mah.

You haven't said what you're using for a power source - 12 volt or ac or what? I use a 12 volt cig lighter Rocketfish (meant for an LG) with output of dc 5 volt 600 mA which works fine, also I have a 110 volt to usb adapter, and also use my black MacBook to keep it charged. I bought a couple of spare 1600 mAH batteries I picked up on eBay for $7 each delivered in case I have nothing else handy.

It's a USB Battery Pack. Connects via the same USB cable you use on a computer. The battery outputs a charge of 5v/700mah through the cable. Has a total capacity of 24kmah. When I plug it into the Milestone, nothing happens, though when I plug it into my old phone or other USB powered devices, they draw power.

I've searched to find a solution to the issue, thats where I found out bits of information like the Milestone won't charge through the USB on a charge of less than 850mah unless an authorisation signal is sent by the host. As its just a rechargable battery with a USB socket, it obviously cannot send no such signal.

To normally charge my phone I may charge through the USB of a computer or through the wall socket adapter, whatever is easier at the time.

I was responding to ohymeagain, I was somewhat confused why he wanted to know what I currently use as my power source. So I just wanted to be more clear what I'm trying to use as a power source, and then actually answer his question. The issue isn't charging my phone normally, the issue is I need a solution for the up coming festivals I enjoy. And using a car to recharge it is also not an option.
I gotcha now Daemon. I've had my phone not agree to charge from some sources sometimes. What worked for me when it happened was to do a battery pull, connect the usb cable, reinsert the battery and then turn on the phone. One of my aftermarket cables also needs repeated re-insertions before it works for some reason. Then the phone comes up with a message that it can only make emergency calls but does charge. Then disconnect the cable, do another battery pull and it works normally. Weird.

iamdarren

Reaction score
i got a 1600 battery which isnt offical and i think that its not as good as the original one.

gorto

Reaction score
Daeymon, try this, it works for me.

Buy a USB to micro USB cable. Strip the outer shell of the cable in the middle and find the two data wires inside (usually green and white). Connect the two data wire together and make sure the power wires (read and black) are not damaged. Cover the exposed wires with electrical tape.

Use this cable to charge your Droid/Milestone from any usb power source.

OP
D

Daeymon

Reaction score
Ha, found a solution. An External Laptop Battery. Got one off Ebay that stated it specifically could charge a Milestone. A reasonable whack in cost and it has a 75wh capacity, which I believe should mean 14 charges for the Milestone. Testing it now for the next week, hopefully I'm now sorted for the coming festivals :D

lapya

Reaction score
Could you give us an update mate? Did you find that "thing" usable? Could you give us extra info about this 75wh solution? Brand, store? Also how did you resolve that getting a usb output from a laptop battery issue and how did you resolve the output voltage alignment with our precious phone's input specs? If it works it really sounds amazing...

OP
D

Daeymon

Reaction score
At full use, with APN enabled, EBuddy constantly running, and no down time for the phone, it lasted about 84hrs. The phone can draw a charge from the Battery, so the description held true, the case must output the correct specs on the usb port.

It's a "Universal External Battery for Laptop Acer Aspire 5315". I bought it off eBay. If it can last 84hrs at constant full capacity, then with APN off, no eBuddy and turning it off when I sleep, means this can easily last me the length of a festival. I'm very happy with it. The external battery is cumbersome though, not something you can just slip in your pocket, remember this is a laptop battery. But perfect for my needs.

Szadzik

Reaction score