Battery Overnight Losing charge since ICS

kpoker

Reaction score
Sitting idle for 8 hours loses about 40% of the battery now. This new upgrade seems to be draining a lot of battery all the time. Any suggestions?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Put it on the charger over night. It's not like you have to run these batteries down to nothing before charging again.

Other than that....Factory Data Reset (if you haven't since getting the update). There were a lot of changes going from OS 2.3.6 to OS 4.0.4 and a clean system is much better than an "updated in place" system.

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
Put it on the charger over night. It's not like you have to run these batteries down to nothing before charging again.

Other than that....Factory Data Reset (if you haven't since getting the update). There were a lot of changes going from OS 2.3.6 to OS 4.0.4 and a clean system is much better than an "updated in place" system.

How do I do a factory re-set? Does it effect anything else or remove anything? Also leaving it on overnight, isnt overcharging bad for the battery. The D4 doesnt have a replacement battery so I am a bit worried about that.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
System Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset. It wipes out all your apps and all the configuration info (configured accounts, settings, etc..). It does not wipe your sdcard unless you check that (Erase internal storage). I always recommend doing a Factory Data Rest whenever the OS is upgraded/updated to a new version. 2.3.4 to 2.3.6...no, would't worry about it. GB to ICS (2.3.6 to 4.0.4)....yep..factory reset.

No, no overcharging. My routine on every Android phone I've had.....take it off the charger (dock) at 6:30am and put it back on the charger around 11:00-11:30pm when I go to bed. Phone last all day and still have 30-40% battery left when dropped back in the dock.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And I agree, there's no lasting negative effect from leaving the phone on the charger like there was with earlier battery technologies. This phone's charger shuts down charging once the battery reaches 100% and won't resume charging until it drains to 90%, which for most people won't happen overnight.

In fact, resuming charge when the battery is only depleted to 30 or 40 percent each night will actually help to extend the battery's life, as it add stress to the battery when depleting it below about 10 percent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Are you using smart actions??. If not try using battery extender. This is how I have mine set up.. try it if you're not using it already.

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
For LTE on/off do I select LTE only for 3g?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, for 3G, you choose CDMA auto (PRL) or GSM/CDMA auto(PRL). For all radios, including LTE to be on, you choose LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA.

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
No, for 3G, you choose CDMA auto (PRL) or GSM/CDMA auto(PRL). For all radios, including LTE to be on, you choose LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA.

Do I want LTE to be on or just CDMA?

snowman

Reaction score
also the first or second day it will do a complete indexing of all the files on the phone this uses a lot of battery
let it index a day or so before installing a bunch of stuff also hard reset it after installing ICS this fixed most issues for me===
but of course a pain to get all back to normal

avilner

Reaction score
I noticed an interesting (well, no so cool) thing after the ICS upgrade.
My Droid 4 used to be at about 50-60% battery life pre-ICS.

Now I have to charge it before 9pm for it to even stay alive.
All other things equal...

So, I looked at battery utilization, and I am seeing that 20 minutes of screen on ate about 40% of battery.
Purposely, I turned the screen on (at about 80% brightness, not even at 100%), and it consistently consumes about 1% of battery every 1-2 minutes.

So, best case scenario, phone on - as in "screen on" - will be dead in 1.5 - 2 hours...

Is that the type of behavior you guys see?

Should I, somehow, do a reset of the battery?
The phone is factory reset recently, with apps installed fresh (2 IMAP accounts, 1 Gmail account, no wi-fi, no bluetooth)...