Battery overheating with Navigation.

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by thirdage2009, Aug 28, 2011.

1. thirdage2009

thirdage2009 New Member

My battery starts to overheat whenever I launch Navigation and doesn't stop until I power off and remove and reinsert my battery. Anyone else with this problem and do you have a solution?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  2. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Yeah get the phone replaced. Thats the only fix
  3. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

If I understand this correctly, you enable GPS and are unable to exit or stop it without a battery pull. Is this correct?

Replace it quickly if it's overheating. You only have so many days to get a new replacement as opposed to a CLNReplacement. I've owned my Charge for a few months now and have not had to do a battery pull yet.
  4. thirdage2009

thirdage2009 New Member

Have you used Navigation in conjunction with Gps and did not have an overheating problem?
  5. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

Many times. Unless its overheating and I can't tell through the dual case surrounding it (silicone with plastic housing). It's hasn't seemed hot to me and no force closes.

The only problems I've had with the GPS are:

1. Takes a long time to locate and lock on to satellites through the Maps app, so I run GPS Test app first . It is a minor inconvenience but it locks on almost immediately. Then when I go into Maps, it locks on immediately.

2. The update didn't work the first time, so I uninstalled and it works fine. (Haven't tried re-installing the update after I figured out the GPS Test trick, it may work)
  6. jhev1

jhev1 New Member

I get the warning that charging has stopped due to too high a temperature or to low frequently. I usually crank up the ac and hold the back of the phone in front of one of the vents for a minute, maybe two. After that it seems fine, and no battery pull or reboot required. I figured there was just too much of a draw and this was normal. Should I be worried?

7. brad92

brad92 New Member

Mine X gets hot with extended periods of GPS also.

random rom'd X
  8. mjt111

mjt111 New Member

I have had the problem before as well but only when using my old blackberry car charger with phone. Since flashing humble Rom and upgrading my car charger i havent had any issues.

9. dgphotog

dgphotog New Member

I have my Charge mounted on a dash mount when I'm navigating and I get this overheating problem on trips that last more than 30 minutes or so. I've attributed it to the fact that the case is black and absorbs sunlight while on my dash. I've held it in front of the A/C grille for a few minutes, and replace it onto the dash mount. Rinse and repeat until trip is over. If someone has proof that it is a software/hardware issue, I'm all ears, but until then, I'm sticking to the solar gain concept.
  10. willz

willz New Member

I had this issue the other day while driving. The battery overheated and now for the last couple days, the battery life is really short...even when 4G and GPS are turned off all day. Not sure what to do...
  11. MikeGoob

MikeGoob Member

This happened to my phone many times when using GPS over a long distance.
    The alert would pop up saying that charging was stopped due to high temperature. And indeed the phone felt hot! Keeping it plugged into my car did nothing as it cut off the charge which is scary if you think about the battery venting on your dash.

I can continue driving using GPS without being plugged in but it wont last more than an hour or so and drains quicker than normal. The phone was pretty decent otherwise so I thought it was the battery and had planned to get a new one anyway.

When I went into the verizon office they said they'd replace my phone. I said no, i think its the battery but they said we'll try the phone first. Maybe they know of an issue?

SOo they shipped out a new phone (no new batt or card) and we'll see. I dont have any 3 hour driving trips planned to test it for awhile though.
  12. rdgxray

rdgxray New Member

My charge overheated the other day while using gps and navigation. It wasn't in the sun. It was sitting in a cool spot in the console. I was charging it and thought that was the cause, but now I see it was something else. Definitely hardware related when those items are in use.

Search tags for this page
dash mount phone overheating
does the droid rlazer have a battery over heat
droid bionic battery overheating
droid bionic overheating while using navigation

droid charge overheating

droid overheats when using gps
htc rezound overheats with gps on charge
is the droid charge known for battery overheating
samsung charge battery overheats when using gps
samsung charge overheating with gps