Battery Myth

SDW

Reaction score
Does, using your phone while it is plugged-in (charging), shorten the overall life of the battery?

I also heard that there is a bigger chance freezing or malfunction, if you use your phone while it is plugged-in.

Does this make sense? Or am I just paranoid.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
False....next :)

Once its fully charged it runs off the plug while plugged in bypassing the battery.

Sent from somewhere...

JeffGoldblum

Reaction score
While we are on the subject, I just got my Droid X a few days ago. I have heard that using "task killers" is a bad thing to do and that it's really just a false sense of security thing. Is this true? If not, what's a good one to use? Thanks.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
While we are on the subject, I just got my Droid X a few days ago. I have heard that using "task killers" is a bad thing to do and that it's really just a false sense of security thing. Is this true? If not, what's a good one to use? Thanks.

Do not use task killers period.

Sent from somewhere...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google has stated in not so many words that because android has it's own task management there should be no need for a task killer. If you use astro's process manager you will see that while the browser is open in the background, there is no CPU time associated with it.

However, if You happen upon a rogue app which is always doing something in the background, You should remove it.

Just become more familiar with what is running in the background is all. The more You kill an app, the faster it comes back. You are just wasting CPU time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does, using your phone while it is plugged-in (charging), shorten the overall life of the battery?

I also heard that there is a bigger chance freezing or malfunction, if you use your phone while it is plugged-in.
I'd say consider the source. The source for this sounds dubious and I'm not even sure where you got this info from.

Once its fully charged it runs off the plug while plugged in bypassing the battery.
Where did you find this? I don't know on Android devices but I do recall some other devices I've used that always draw power from the battery.

IanG

Reaction score
I'm going to go with paranoid.

Either way, batteries are like $5 on Amazon.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

I'd say consider the source. The source for this sounds dubious and I'm not even sure where you got this info from.

Where did you find this? I don't know on Android devices but I do recall some other devices I've used that always draw power from the battery.

I thought I read that somewhere almost a year ago. I could be wrong though. But in any case there's no harm using the phone while plugged in.

Sent from somewhere...

Darkseider

Reaction score

Here comes my obligatory response...

TASK KILLERS?!?!? BURN THEM!!! BURN THEM WITH FIRE!!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Here comes my obligatory response...

TASK KILLERS?!?!? BURN THEM!!! BURN THEM WITH FIRE!!!

We should organize a group bonfire

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
S

SDW

Reaction score

I thought I read that somewhere almost a year ago. I could be wrong though. But in any case there's no harm using the phone while plugged in.

Sent from somewhere...

I read it somewhere a few years back. Bout other, older (non smartphone) devices.

And after picking up my first Android last week, I just wanted to make sure ... before I really got into using it.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App