battery life

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by mikeyo1990, Aug 19, 2010.

1. mikeyo1990

mikeyo1990 New Member

First off sorry if this has been posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.
    So I just switched over to simply stunning and I love this rom however my battery life is terrible. My screen brightness is set at the dimmest it can be and the battery still drains swiftly. I am using the stock kernel with this rom. Just wondering if someone could give me some tips or let me know some set ups there using cuz I really want to stick with this rom.
  2. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT New Member

The stock kernel is clocked at 1ghz, you might need to use SetCPU to downclock it for some more battery life.
  3. heleos

heleos New Member

91ludesit is correct, firstly make sure you have setcpu, and have some profiles set up. Also, how quick does it drain, what apps are you running, etc. I unplug my phone at 5:30 in the morning, and when I plug it in at nights, its usually around 40 or 50%, with about an hour and a half of web browsing, some phone calls, etc.
  4. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

Not too sure I agree with the SetCPU theory. I flashed SS4.7 the morning it dropped and tinkered with my phone all day trying to get the ROM to run right. Long story short I tried several things but had issues and had to restore my Sapphire 1.0 backup. Before I restored my battery percentage with SS4.7 was at 70%, after my restore to Sapphire it was at 90%! I thought it was a fluke and continued to use the phone to see if the percentage would drastically drop but it never did. I have never seen a battery percentage jump this much when flashing from one ROM to the next.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not here trying to bash SS4.7; I will continue to try and figure out how to get this ROM running on my phone because I think Chevy has some great features in SS4.7. I'm just saying some of us may be experiencing this while others are not. My phone ran very hot on 4.7 which is why I suspect I had poor battery.
    Just my $0.02
  5. heleos

heleos New Member

You had 70% with SS, then you restored a backup to sapphire and your battery said 90%? :icon_eek: That doesn't sound normal at all
  6. Skullx

Skullx New Member

Even though the kernel is a 1ghz kernel, it will still run to the default max, which is 550mhz. Most likely the cause of the battery drain would be an app that broke during the switch. Although one thing i recommend trying is using wiping. Some issues can be resolved this way.

Edit: I don't know what would cause the battery issue, but like I said try wiping. With bkapps, it will be easy.
  7. lack06

lack06 New Member

Im running SS4.7 with 7x LV (not uLV) 1.2Ghz.
    SetCPU @ 1000 MHz max, 700 MHz min(performance setting). Just going by what App says, I dont know if its actually at this level. But my Droid has no lag/sludge.

Also have JuiceDefender shutting off data when my screen is off. My battery is much better with SS4.7 comapred to my last ROM that I dont need to take my charger to work anymore.
  8. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

SetCPU
    Juice Defender
    Switch Widget Pro (data toggle switch for this app was the biggest battery saver)
  9. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I've noticed this also, but not just with SS ROMs, I've noticed this with other ROMs as well. The only thing I was able to conclude in my case is I generally have my phone connected via USB while doing this and it is charging at a much faster rate while I'm switching ROMs. I come to this conclusion because the user interface is so simply for these recovery programs that they don't use much battery, resulting in a increased rate of charge.
  10. Asterisk

Asterisk New Member

My battery life with SS has been better then any other roms that I have tired. I can get 14-16 hours of life out of my phone before having to plug it in. When I get home from work it is usually at 40% and that is with texting and phone calls and also facebook, twitter, my weather app updating every 2 hours and my email getting checked every hour. Also my phone is on vibrate most of the day so that uses a little more battery.
  11. beejaycee

beejaycee New Member

I always got acceptable battery life from Chevy's ULV kernels. Just for kicks while I was waiting for the latest ROM, I switched to a p3droid LV kernel (1000 mhz set to 800 mhz) to give me something new to play with. My phone stays cooler (I'm now getting down to 25C for battery temp, which I never did before) and it "appears" that I'm getting more battery life. I have to say "appears" because I've not done controlled tests but my battery % is higher at the end of the day than with Chevy's 1000 mhz ULV. YMMV but you might want to try different kernels (including Chevy's ULV, LV, and MV) to see if another does the trick for you.
  12. tameone

tameone New Member

I experienced the same thing oddly enought. I am getting ok batt life with ss now though and I thought nothing of it.

I flashed ss 4.7 the first time while not charging. I had to restore to sapphire because vzw activation was down and I needed to make a call.. when I did my batt % jumped 20%.
  13. YankInDaSouth

Yeah, I thought it was kinda strange as well :D

This was off the charger and the increase happened.

Thanks for verifying I am not crazy :laugh:
  14. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 New Member

I'm going to have to agree about the battery life not being so good. It drops way faster than it did in 4.4-4.5.

I run the same amount of widgets/homescreens and get less battery life. Odd.
  15. kruizin

kruizin Addicted to ROM Premium Member

Same thing happened to me. Went from about 70% to 90% when I went back to another ROM. I couldn't figure out how to get better battery life either with 4.7. I hope someone figures this out as I really like the ROM, but I gotta have decent battery life.
  16. tameone

tameone New Member

Try a different kernel. Chevy's, while always giving great performance, run hot on my Droid. I find P3Droids to run cooler, and thus, I would assume give better battery life since heat = wasted energy.
  17. Turbo7MN

Turbo7MN New Member

Another bad battery life issue here. Running chevy's 1GHz LV kernel. I can keep my phone plugged in at work which means the battery life itself not a huge issue, however after the OTA update I've been having another issue that makes plugging in the phone more annoying that I'm going to start a new thread about.
  18. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie New Member

Me too. Jumped 20% when I switched away from 4.7. It was strange...almost like it just wasn't being read properly. I have been at 600/250 on setCPU so I don't think that's doing it.

I love SS ROM's but my battery has sucked ever since I left the rooted 2.2 Stock. It's not exclusive to SS, it's all customs. I hate it because they look fabulous. I had to throw in my extended battery, which I don't really like because of the size.

I just downloaded Ultimate Juice hoping that will help but it may take a while to learn how to use it:icon_eek:
  19. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

OK - for those getting the weird battery readings - I need you to check the system (settings -> about phone -> status) in my ROM, and in the one you are going to. One of them must be wrong.
  20. YankInDaSouth

OK, interesting turn of events here. Tried a fresh install of SS4.7 last night, went with Chevy's 800 kernel but couldn't stay connected to wifi and the temps seemed a little hot. So, this morning I installed a p3 kernel and everthing ran a little better. Anyway, after an hour or so of playing my battery was at 60% and I restored my Sapphire backup so I could get the status info chevy wanted. Well it loads up and the battery is at 60% too. So, either my first experience was a fluke or perhaps it's something with chevy's kernels?