Battery life

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by microsnook, Apr 11, 2010.

1. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, my battery life isnt doing so well.
    I am on cyan (latest)
    OC to 600mhz (stock basically)

I text a lot. Auto brightness. GPS on.
    But I dont use my phone too hardcore.
    At the end of the day, if not sooner, my phone is dead.
    Whats the deal?

Any Ideas?

Hopefully this isnt a repost.

2. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Your settings are draining your battery. The biggest drain is the display. You should take it off auto-brightness and manually set it to the lowest possible. Set the screen timeout to the shortest time possible. If you're not using the navigation system, there is no reason to have this on. GPS is a major drain, so is wifi. Keep them both off unless absolutely necessary.

If you follow my advice, you will see significant improvement. If you want to see what's draining it, simply go to settings <about phone<battery.

3. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, ill try it

4. ShowTime

ShowTime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can keep the screen timeout set at whatever you want. I keep mine set at 2 minutes so it doesn't sleep while I'm reading long articles and such. Just manually sleep the phone any time you're done using it. Also, GPS is not a major drain on the battery. GPS is only active and using the battery when an app is using it and the GPS satellite icon is in the notification bar. You can keep it on all the time.

OP if you're getting a full day on a charge, that's pretty decent/good. As long as it makes it all day, what's the problem? Just plug it in every night. The more you text, surf, etc, the more your display is on (which I will agree is probably the biggest battery drain regardless of brightness setting) so your battery is going to suffer. Admittedly, I'm no root expert and I really don't know the ins and outs of ROM and OC effects on battery usage.

5. roberj13

roberj13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, a full day on a charge is pretty decent. I am on Cyanogen 5.0.5.7 and at 1Ghz. I can make it through the whole day. Manually putting the phone into standby after I am done using has proved to make a significant difference. The display is what eats at the battery so any brightness you can shave off and still enjoy using the phone is good. I agree that GPS should only be draining your phone if an application is using it. I would turn wifi off if you are not going to be using it, because the phone scans for open wifi networks. Also are you underclocking the phone while the phone is in standby in Set CPU. That can make a difference as well. (I actually don't underclock it, I keep it at stock speeds, because I can't stand lag when I am receiving a phone call.) One other thing is that I have a car charger, a USB for my home computer and a USB for my work computer. If I am in one of these three places, my phone is charging. If I am going to sit around a computer or drive to work for 30 minutes I might as well. This might help you out.

Hope some of these things will narrow it down for you and improve your life.

6. vrdubin6

vrdubin6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed. Why would you want your display to time out all the time while you are doing something such as reading articles on the internet. I never do something, such as send a txt, and then just let my phone sit there till it times out. I always manually put it to sleep. If you are the same way I would leave auto brightness on as well.. unless you never leave you mothers basement.

If you are like the average Joe and sleep for 8 hours a day, that would mean your phone is lasting you 16 hours. That is great battery life, especially being rooted and slightly overclocked.

7. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One recommendation I can make is to get UltimateJuice from the market. It's really helped with my battery life. I have it to schedule a sync every hour and to turn off wifi if I'm far from a known location. I've lasted a day and 6 hours with moderate usage. I'm testing the 2 hours sync interval right now.

EDIT: I also try to use a clock speed that is low as I can possibly take lol I usually try to keep it at 550 and set my standby clocks to 125-250.

8. vrdubin6

vrdubin6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried almost every battery conserving tactic and app and I am very skeptical when I hear people talking about a 30 hour battery life with "moderate" usage. I guess mild, moderate or heavy usage are subjective terms though. I consider myself to use my phone moderately on a daily basis, and I usually average roughly 12-15 hours.

Edit... I Just looked and my phone is at 80% right now after 6 hours of light usage. That includes a handful of texts, some quick internet usage, and one short phone call. Maybe my horrible reception in my office at work kills my battery...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  9. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it's more moderate/light lol during that day I read e-mail a few times, texted and made a few short calls, and read some rss feeds. Otherwise that phone wasn't used very much.

10. vrdubin6

vrdubin6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha.. now that I think of it I might just tinker with my phone WAY too much while I am at work. :icon_eek:

11. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Completely understandable haha lol :icon_ banana:!! I remember I when I couldn't stop playing around with my droid lol, lately I've had to though lol

12. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for responding.
    I think its just cause I text all the time...
    And wifi comes on when Im home, but im going to change that now.

13. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, 3:25 pm to 5:05 pm.
    Texting only. about 50 ish?
    80% battery. I drained 20% of my battery in less than 2 hrs. Something doesnt seem right.
    Brightness is down low. Wifi is off.