Battery life??

honors21

Reaction score
how do you explain the way better battery life I get when I shut out of to charge with the same usage

turboteal

Reaction score
Task manager

whats helped me alot on my phone is keeping the task manager cleaned, :biggrin: if i remove programs from the task manager my battery last better to me than my bionic did, try it you will be amazed, also it kills any programs that are using battery, love it. just hold down the home button for 2seconds & it will appear, then hit remove all or push the programs to left of the screen to remove the ones you dont want, if you push the settings button on the left side of your home button you have other features that are very handy

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No reason to turn it off to charge the phone to max, you are not getting a better charge of the battery while phone is off.

Unless you're a battery engineer with some new information, I wouldn't go around definitely saying that it doesn't do any better. I'd suggest reading up on FoxKat's battery posts. Charging the phone while it's off is definitely a beneficial thing, at least every now and then.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
My best results with my battery is when I have turned it off to charge.

That's just silly. The only thing that will do is actually ensure that your phone is at 100% instead of being in the middle of full charge drop (which is on purpose to extend battery health).

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's the purpose of owning a cell phone when you have to turn it OFF to charge it, it's a phone and it needs to be ON to receive calls and texts and emails. I have never turned of any of my phones since I have been owning cell phones, from my first dumb phone over a decade ago, till this day, you want the phone to FULLY charge, you should leave it in the charger till the green light lights up "on the S3" , not when it says 100% on the screen, once the green light lights up, the battery is fully charged, by having the phone off does NOT give the battery more of a charge, the battery does not magically extend it's mAh rating by having it turned off.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Mine is pretty good. Make sure to drain the battery to at least 15% then completely charge it full while powered off.

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

This guy ^^ had it right.

Part one of two;

By discharging to at least 15% (or whatever level your particular phone gets to when it tells you to charge - usually a pop-up on the screen), you are setting the discharged or "Empty" flag so the charging and metering system knows the battery's low limit of charge. Then by charging to 100% with the stock manufacturers' chargers and with the power off you are assuring the charging of the battery is complete, as well as setting the charged or "Full" flag for the charging and metering system.

Charging with power on places the phone's demand for power, even while at rest in competition for the current being supplied to the battery during the charging phase. This can not only extend considerably the time it takes to reach a full charge, but in some cases demand for power by the phone can out-strip the supply by the charger, resulting in either stalled charging or even in some extreme cases discharging at some level.

More importantly, with the phone calling for power at varying rates depending on what background services may be performing things such as syncing of data & pictures, music streaming, Facebook updates, twitter feeds, email retrieval, location services, navigation, camera or video, cellular tower negotiations and pinging, wifi communications, or a myriad of other processor intensive services that can cause spikes in power demand. It's these voltage fluctuations that create confusion for the charging and metering system, preventing it from accurately determining charge rate, level of charge, and key "signatures" in voltage and current draw that signal the charger to know when the battery has reached certain thresholds of charge.

Without being able to properly identify these key thresholds, the charger is unable to accurately determine when to switch from the initial full charging rate (Stage 1), to the saturation charge rate for the last 10% or so (Stage 2), and finally for when the battery is fully charged and it's time for the charger to interrupt charging to prevent overcharging.

This phenomenon, known as a
"parasitic load" is the main culprit in phones that appear to have poor battery life when in fact there is nothing wrong with the battery at all. Symptoms of an out-of-calibration metering and charging system include apparent sudden charge level decreases, rapid drop from what was apparently a full 100% charge, markedly short runtime per charge, inexplicable change from reasonable charge levels to complete power-down, boot-looping, power-cycling, failure to respond to the charger, "White Light of Death", and complete failure to power up and an apparent "bricked" phone.

End of part one of two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Caesars

Reaction score
Well i must say that this is a good reason to have removable battery and external charger hehe.

Either way it's not a gigantic issue :)

Googorola MAXX

dmateo

Reaction score
I have a droid thunderbolt and for the past few months the battery will NOT charge past 61% and it drains fast as *&^* I'll get maybe an 35-40 min of full on use with it. I just switched to JellyBlur v1.1 but no difference on batter power/ charge/ or stamina what should i do. I've even changed the battery to the other phone models that works with this the thunderbolt as well. I can't remember the model name but it goes to ADR6425. can someone help me?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well i must say that this is a good reason to have removable battery and external charger hehe.

Either way it's not a gigantic issue :)

Googorola MAXX

As long as its a good external charger that cuts things off when the battery is fully charged, that's a great point.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by honors21

My best results with my battery is when I have turned it off to charge.

That's just silly. The only thing that will do is actually ensure that your phone is at 100% instead of being in the middle of full charge drop (which is on purpose to extend battery health).

Actually sbenson, you bring up a good point...the charging system DOES charge to what it "believes" is 100%, whether the phone is powered on or off. The question is whether the phone is accurately determining when to switch from Stage 1 charging to Stage 2, and ultimately when to interrupt charging altogether once fully saturated at the rated charge level. As described above in "Part one of two", this can be difficult for the system to do while the voltages and current draws are fluctuating due to the parasitic load of the phone itself.

The "full charge drop" I believe you are referring to is the interruption of charging that takes place once the phone's battery is determined to be fully saturated, and is designed to prevent overcharging (again as mentioned above and as you eluded to). Once the phone's charging and metering system concludes the phone's battery is fully saturated, the charging system will go into the "stand-by" mode and interrupt charging (AKA "full charge drop"). It doesn't matter whether it's charged while powered off or not, the interruption happens just the same. What does matter is whether the charging and metering system accurately times that interruption of charge, or if it does it prematurely;

• causing either a failure to transition to State 2 charging for saturation, or causing it to interrupt too early during Stage 2, before it's reached full saturation,
  • or far too late thereby causing undue stress on the battery and shortening its lifespan (as you mentioned regarding battery health).
What's the purpose of owning a cell phone when you have to turn it OFF to charge it, it's a phone and it needs to be ON to receive calls and texts and emails. I have never turned of any of my phones since I have been owning cell phones, from my first dumb phone over a decade ago, till this day, you want the phone to FULLY charge, you should leave it in the charger till the green light lights up "on the S3" , not when it says 100% on the screen, once the green light lights up, the battery is fully charged, by having the phone off does NOT give the battery more of a charge, the battery does not magically extend it's mAh rating by having it turned off.

cybertec69, I hear you loud and clear. Nobody really likes to power off their phones anymore, and as you pointed out for good reason - a missed call or text could be extremely important and disruptive. I have a wife who is a cancer patient and a father-in-law who is 94 and in rehabilitation for a hip fracture. In both cases, a missed call could be terribly unfortunate. The good thing is you don't have to risk charging with power off more often than about once every 2-3 months. Battery University recommends once every 40 full cycle charges, meaning after 100% charges followed by discharges that in total are cumulatively 4,000% of the battery's capacity (i.e. 100% * 40 = 4,000%).

SO if you charge normally to 100%, but use typically to let's say 25%, you are using 75% of the battery's capacity. Take 4,000 and divide by 75, and you come back to every 53 days or so. If you only discharge to 50%, before placing back on charge at night, then it would be every 80 days (4000 / 50 = 80), to keep the charging and metering system "trained" to the battery's ever-decreasing capacities. In the case of phones with larger batteries such as the Droid RAZR MAXX, which for many can go 2 days of full use before a charge. In their phones' cases, if it takes two days to get to 15% (the recommended charge point), then 4,000 / 85 = 47 * 2 (2 days) = 94, so in the RAZR MAXX's case for that user, he'd need to do the "Meter Training" every 3 months on average.

The point you made of the green light versus 100% may be (in your phone specifically) an indication of green light = end of Stage 2 & fully saturated, versus 100% without a green light = end of Stage 1 charging (where it is still applying power at a reduced level to gently saturate the battery). I will say her as a disclosure that I am not familiar with your phone's specific charging system, but will also say that for the most part, any phones that use the newest battery technologies - Lithium Ion based batteries, and even more importantly Lithium Ion Polymer based batteries such as the newest "Pouch Cells" will have very similar charging systems since these batteries all exhibit the same characteristics that dictate charging rates, maximum charging levels, minimum charge levels (or maximum discharge levels), and maximum discharge rates, so it's safe to apply the same general knowledge to phones of like power system designs and like batteries. None of this applies to phones that use either Nickel Cadmium or Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries, or even in rare (older) cases Sealed Lead Acid batteries.

Last edited:

caldergsu

Reaction score
I too noticed my battery drained extra fast on my second day of use. Im trying some of the suggestions here and will screenshot later in the day/tommorow to show results.

So far: deleted the Facebook app that seemed to be constantly running the cpu.
Turned off motion controls and adjusted screen brightness to about 35-40% instead of auto.

Put phone in power save mode.

Currently im at 73% after almost 3 hours off of the charger. But my screen has been on for 1 hour and 20 minutes reading the forum through my browser. So the current results are a little skewed lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

RoboCop1268

Reaction score
The phone went from turning on to around 3% super quickly so I was a little worried. I charged the phone to 100%, used it again and it went to 5% in around 7 hours. Charged it to 100% again and it lasted about 6 hours.

However...I was using my phone HEAVILY. Nonstop screen brightness of 89-100%, internet 4g, streaming HBO GO, and Facebook.

However, the last few times it's been a lot better. I don't know if it takes time but I went 12 hours yesterday, 10 hours since unplugging it right now and I'm at 22%.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
caldergsu said:
I too noticed my battery drained extra fast on my second day of use. Im trying some of the suggestions here and will screenshot later in the day/tommorow to show results.

So far: deleted the Facebook app that seemed to be constantly running the cpu.
Turned off motion controls and adjusted screen brightness to about 35-40% instead of auto.

Put phone in power save mode.

Currently im at 73% after almost 3 hours off of the charger. But my screen has been on for 1 hour and 20 minutes reading the forum through my browser. So the current results are a little skewed lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

It's an app that is draining it, since I am positive you have loaded more apps since your first day of ownership.

caldergsu

Reaction score
All my apps were transferred from my backup OTA (droid X previous phone). The battery app is showing 60% of battery usage over the past 6 hours was from apps, with internet being 40% of that usage. The rest is miscellaneous items like the android system. No other item stands out. In essence my battery drain seems to be normal considering the amount my screen has been on so far today and the amount ive been on the internet. I will know more tomorrow i guess.

Sent from my Verizon GalaxyS3

xluryan

Reaction score
I'm on about day 5 of an ongoing investigation into my battery issue. I posted earlier in this thread with some detailed information accompanied by screenshots. My battery would last about 8-10 hours with little to no use at all. Yes, you read that correctly. My phone would go from 100% to 0% overnight - while I was sleeping - if it was not plugged in.

Since my first couple of posts, I've done a factory reset (a few actually, explained in a moment), and discovered a few things. At first, I thought the phone radio was to blame. But now I know it's an app (or perhaps several) that is responsible for the accelerated battery drain.

After my first reset, my battery was phenomenal! It was on track to last two full days! I figured the problem was resolved, so I installed several of my apps and went to bed, only to wake and find the dismal battery performance had returned. So I repeated the process.

Full factory reset again. Only this time, I'm installing one app at a time, and waiting about 6 hours to monitor the battery drain before installing another app.

I know I'm going to eventually install an app and my battery power will plumit in the following 6 hours. Then all I'll have to do is either uninstall it, or factory reset and not install that specific app again.

I would strongly urge some of you to do this same process. Your phone might not be setup the way you like it for a week or so, but at least you'll be able to spend the next couple of years with awesome battery life as a result.

Last edited: