Battery Life

LadyHottShott

Reaction score
When I'm at home using wifi, do I have to turn off 4g data? Or do I not need to bother with turning it off since wifi is on?

Hope that makes sense, lol.

me_droid

Reaction score
So far I'm impressed with the battery life - yesterday after 17 hours system reported 60% left. However I don't have 4G in my area yet so that may be a factor. The battery indicator was off though as it looked like it should when at 90%. I was only getting about 12 hours with extended battery on D1 and I carried extra batteries with me always.

Still not sure I trust the reported charge though due to the battery indicator being out of whack. Is there a way to fix that?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
DocWalt

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I've managed to make it two days so far with light usage and just now hit 10% left. I'm more than happy enough with the battery life. I'm still confused as to why WiFi is using such a high amount of battery. Oh well.

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering taking my D4 back because of the poor performance of the battery. Does anyone know of an app that backs up everything without rooting?

fingaz

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering taking my D4 back because of the poor performance of the battery. Does anyone know of an app that backs up everything without rooting?

What do you need to have backed up? If you contacts are google contacts, they are backed up, your pictures should be on your SD card and your apps will simply just re-download the next time you to into the market on your new phone.

Furthermore, if you have a launcher like ADW or GoLauncher, they can save your configurations and you can restore them at a later date.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
My battery life works for about 6 hours then dies.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

fingaz

Reaction score
You're doing something wrong. Or.. were you talking on the phone for like 3 hours.. or playing an intense game for a long time? Do you have wifi on? Others on this board say differently, but in my opinion, wifi seems to drain the battery really quickly.

I'm at 7hours and 40 minutes and its 50% depleted.

Go to your battery settings. What is draining your battery the most?

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
What do you need to have backed up? If you contacts are google contacts, they are backed up, your pictures should be on your SD card and your apps will simply just re-download the next time you to into the market on your new phone.

Furthermore, if you have a launcher like ADW or GoLauncher, they can save your configurations and you can restore them at a later date.

Like my apps and settings stuff like that. Titanium Backup did everything but it requires a root :/

Wrigley25

Reaction score
You're doing something wrong. Or.. were you talking on the phone for like 3 hours.. or playing an intense game for a long time? Do you have wifi on? Others on this board say differently, but in my opinion, wifi seems to drain the battery really quickly.

I'm at 7hours and 40 minutes and its 50% depleted.

Go to your battery settings. What is draining your battery the most?

Well as I stated also earlier in the thread, the other day I only made it 6 and a half hours only texting, using ubersocial, wordfeud and a few minutes of voice calls. Unacceptable battery performance if you ask me. 6 and a half hours should be for video watching and constant browsing. Not what I have been doing.

km75

Reaction score
so, has there been any concrete data to say that Wifi is less of a drain on the battery compared to 4g? I haven't turned on Wifi once and continuously get at least 12 hours on one charge.

Currently, the phone has been off charge for 3.5 hours and is down to 80%... Therefore, theoretically, the battery should last for 17.5 hours.

Furthermore, it says the display accounted for 52% of my usage, Voice calls 27%, Android OS 10%, and the rest is real low. With that said, I think ill turn my brightness down a bit to see if I can get more out of the battery.

Give this a read. http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/496992-how-does-wifi-save-battery-over-3g-4g.html
In regards to display being so high think about the fact that if you are using your phone you are usually using your display. Only time i can think of otherwise is when you are talking on your phone and your screen blacks out bcuz of the proximity sensors. Also take into account that its 'out of 100 percent'. So even if you keep your. brightness all the way down it still is going to show that it is using a higher percentage than anything else that may be running

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

*86eyerok*

Reaction score
I've managed to make it two days so far with light usage and just now hit 10% left. I'm more than happy enough with the battery life. I'm still confused as to why WiFi is using such a high amount of battery. Oh well.

Same here. Battery life for me is great.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
WIFI can be a high percentage if it spends lots of time looking for a connection. If like me you are away from your wireless most of the day, then turning off WIFI is a good idea.

If thats not the answer then I'd have to suspect an error somewhere.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Don't forget about music, it kills your battery Wifi,Apps and music kills your battery. Texting isn't much of a battery killer it can last longer when texting.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
WIFI can be a high percentage if it spends lots of time looking for a connection. If like me you are away from your wireless most of the day, then turning off WIFI is a good idea.

If thats not the answer then I'd have to suspect an error somewhere.

I've always left WIFI toggled on 24x7 with my Droid and now Droid 3. However, I have WIFI sleep policy set to turn off when the screen is off. This can be set by going to WIFI settings and then pressing menu to go to advanced options.

I don't know about the Droid 4, but the default has always been turn off when screen is off. Unfortunately, when you launch that darn DLNA bloatware app it pops up a somewhat cryptic dialog box. If you press OK, it turns your WIFI sleep policy to Never. This amounts to a bug as far as I'm concerned. I think most users would be happier with the default setting--off when screen is off.

By the way, I also leave GPS toggled on 24x7. It only gets used when an app/widget needs it and I stay away from apps that use it in the background.

RoninX

Reaction score
Well as I stated also earlier in the thread, the other day I only made it 6 and a half hours only texting, using ubersocial, wordfeud and a few minutes of voice calls. Unacceptable battery performance if you ask me. 6 and a half hours should be for video watching and constant browsing. Not what I have been doing.

I agree. I think you have a bad battery.

For comparison, my phone has been on battery for 14 and a half hours, with moderate use of both 4G and WiFi, and I still have 30% charge left.