Battery Life

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by DocWalt, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Linux4ever

Linux4ever New Member

When I got my D4 today... I also picked up a Universal Portable Charger... Loving the portable charger... Just be sure to charge your portable charger when your at home...
  2. Sohcahtoa

Sohcahtoa New Member

External battery charger

If you're a heavy user, I would highly suggest one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Anker-5600mAh...192G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329296163&sr=8-1

They really ARE a life saver. With a 5600 mAH charge, it can recharge your battery 3 times. I find it to be extremely handy. I take public transit to get to my university classes, and its about an hour trip each way. By carrying one of these, I can watch an hour of Netflix over 4G or play GPU/CPU intense games and not have to worry about sucking the battery dry.
  3. LadyHottShott

LadyHottShott New Member

Guess I'm a light user. I charged it yesterday morning, haven't charged it since, and I've got 45% batterly left, lol.
  4. Wrigley25

Wrigley25 New Member

Thank you very much.

I also turned off the google and verizon location services like another poster suggested.

I've been told my house has three towers and not all are 3G, so depending which one I hit, my phone is constantly switching from 4g and 3g while I am at home. I don't know if this is also a strain on the battery but there isn't much I can do about it short of turning off 4g or staying in wifi. Although last time I had wifi on, 4g did not turn off, which I found strange.

I will give it some more time to see what happens before I return the device.
  5. fingaz

fingaz New Member

so, has there been any concrete data to say that Wifi is less of a drain on the battery compared to 4g? I haven't turned on Wifi once and continuously get at least 12 hours on one charge.

Currently, the phone has been off charge for 3.5 hours and is down to 80%... Therefore, theoretically, the battery should last for 17.5 hours.

Furthermore, it says the display accounted for 52% of my usage, Voice calls 27%, Android OS 10%, and the rest is real low. With that said, I think ill turn my brightness down a bit to see if I can get more out of the battery.
  6. LadyHottShott

LadyHottShott New Member

When I'm at home using wifi, do I have to turn off 4g data? Or do I not need to bother with turning it off since wifi is on?

Hope that makes sense, lol.
  7. me_droid

me_droid Member

So far I'm impressed with the battery life - yesterday after 17 hours system reported 60% left. However I don't have 4G in my area yet so that may be a factor. The battery indicator was off though as it looked like it should when at 90%. I was only getting about 12 hours with extended battery on D1 and I carried extra batteries with me always.

Still not sure I trust the reported charge though due to the battery indicator being out of whack. Is there a way to fix that?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums
  8. DocWalt

DocWalt Member

I've managed to make it two days so far with light usage and just now hit 10% left. I'm more than happy enough with the battery life. I'm still confused as to why WiFi is using such a high amount of battery. Oh well.
  9. ezeddiekun

ezeddiekun New Member

I'm strongly considering taking my D4 back because of the poor performance of the battery. Does anyone know of an app that backs up everything without rooting?

10. fingaz

fingaz New Member

What do you need to have backed up? If you contacts are google contacts, they are backed up, your pictures should be on your SD card and your apps will simply just re-download the next time you to into the market on your new phone.

Furthermore, if you have a launcher like ADW or GoLauncher, they can save your configurations and you can restore them at a later date.
  11. aqworldthunder

aqworldthunder Darth Droid

My battery life works for about 6 hours then dies.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!
  12. fingaz

fingaz New Member

You're doing something wrong. Or.. were you talking on the phone for like 3 hours.. or playing an intense game for a long time? Do you have wifi on? Others on this board say differently, but in my opinion, wifi seems to drain the battery really quickly.

I'm at 7hours and 40 minutes and its 50% depleted.

Go to your battery settings. What is draining your battery the most?
  13. ezeddiekun

ezeddiekun New Member

Like my apps and settings stuff like that. Titanium Backup did everything but it requires a root :/

14. Wrigley25

Wrigley25 New Member

Well as I stated also earlier in the thread, the other day I only made it 6 and a half hours only texting, using ubersocial, wordfeud and a few minutes of voice calls. Unacceptable battery performance if you ask me. 6 and a half hours should be for video watching and constant browsing. Not what I have been doing.
  15. km75

km75 New Member

Give this a read. http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/496992-how-does-wifi-save-battery-over-3g-4g.html
    In regards to display being so high think about the fact that if you are using your phone you are usually using your display. Only time i can think of otherwise is when you are talking on your phone and your screen blacks out bcuz of the proximity sensors. Also take into account that its 'out of 100 percent'. So even if you keep your. brightness all the way down it still is going to show that it is using a higher percentage than anything else that may be running

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  16. *86eyerok*

*86eyerok* New Member

Same here. Battery life for me is great.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
  17. Fr33dom

Fr33dom New Member

WIFI can be a high percentage if it spends lots of time looking for a connection. If like me you are away from your wireless most of the day, then turning off WIFI is a good idea.

If thats not the answer then I'd have to suspect an error somewhere.
  18. aqworldthunder

aqworldthunder Darth Droid

Don't forget about music, it kills your battery Wifi,Apps and music kills your battery. Texting isn't much of a battery killer it can last longer when texting.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!
  19. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

I've always left WIFI toggled on 24x7 with my Droid and now Droid 3. However, I have WIFI sleep policy set to turn off when the screen is off. This can be set by going to WIFI settings and then pressing menu to go to advanced options.

I don't know about the Droid 4, but the default has always been turn off when screen is off. Unfortunately, when you launch that darn DLNA bloatware app it pops up a somewhat cryptic dialog box. If you press OK, it turns your WIFI sleep policy to Never. This amounts to a bug as far as I'm concerned. I think most users would be happier with the default setting--off when screen is off.

By the way, I also leave GPS toggled on 24x7. It only gets used when an app/widget needs it and I stay away from apps that use it in the background.
  20. RoninX

RoninX New Member

I agree. I think you have a bad battery.

For comparison, my phone has been on battery for 14 and a half hours, with moderate use of both 4G and WiFi, and I still have 30% charge left.
Search tags for this page

android app dataoffload

android dataoffload app

dataoffload android

dataoffload android app

dataoffload app

dataoffloading
droid 4 6hrs battery life
motorola phone battery depletion