Battery life?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hey Jason, what is your screen brightness set at? If it's high, try turning it down to 50%. I know at first you will feel that it doesn't "look" as nice. But after a short while you'll adjust your eyes to it and 50% will seem normal. The reason I bring this up is because screen brightness has a big impact on battery life.

Oh, and have you tried using the Smart Actions app to turn off cellular data (3g and 4g) when your screen is off? That really helped me increase battery life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Deron...got a question. If you turn cellular data off can you still get phone calls and text messages?

mportuesisf

Reaction score
Yes, you can still get phone calls and text messages when cellular data is turned off.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using DroidForums

bungholio

Reaction score
You can also adjust when your phone starts saving power, in settings. Move it to 30% and you should have no problem. And its true about 4G and all of that draining your battery, but also the longer you keep on the screen, the more battery you waste. It uses up at least 78% of battery life overall.

Sent from my Desire HD using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yes, you can still get phone calls and text messages when cellular data is turned off.

Thanks...one more question...what has to be turned on to get gmail.

mportuesisf

Reaction score
For gmail, you will need to have either cellular data or wifi turned on.

I have wifi at both home and work. When I set up Smart Actions to turn off cell data when I'm at home or work, my battery life improved significantly. I still get calls and texts, and gmail comes over wifi.

Or you could simply set up a Smart Action that turns off cellular data whenever your RAZR has a wifi connection.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
For gmail, you will need to have either cellular data or wifi turned on.

I have wifi at both home and work. When I set up Smart Actions to turn off cell data when I'm at home or work, my battery life improved significantly. I still get calls and texts, and gmail comes over wifi.

Or you could simply set up a Smart Action that turns off cellular data whenever your RAZR has a wifi connection.

Ok, so if WiFi is on you don't need background data enabled to get gmail, if i understand you right...just WiFi on. Thank you.

mportuesisf

Reaction score
Ok, so if WiFi is on you don't need background data enabled to get gmail, if i understand you right...just WiFi on. Thank you.

Yes, you understand me quite right. Just wifi will work.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yes, you understand me quite right. Just wifi will work.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I tried a SmartAction where WiFi was on and cell data and background data where turned off and I could get phone calls and sms, but no email. It seems that if you have cell data off then you have to have WiFi and background data on to get email (gmail pushed to phone)

mportuesisf

Reaction score
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I tried a SmartAction where WiFi was on and cell data and background data where turned off and I could get phone calls and sms, but no email.

Cellular data: off
Background data: on

That will let gmail work over wifi.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I've had mine a week today. I started off with a couple full charge to dead cycles so the OS knew the range of the battery. I also have a fairly aggressive set up in Smart Actions, turning various services off for certain conditions. Use WAY more wifi than 3g/4g data.

Last night I took my phone off charger before I went to bed. When I woke up in the morning some 7 hours later the battery was at 93%. It is now 14 some hours later and I am at 55% battery from last nights charge, and I've been using some 4G, some streaming music, lots of camera and some twitter today. Working pretty well IMO!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Take it back and get a cell phone. Smart phones will not last all day on a single charge.

mmcompute

Reaction score
I installed Juice Defender from the Market and it has improved my battery life by 2X on average. The app turns the data on and off at certain intervals which saves battery life. I tried using the Smart Actions which work fairly well but Juice Defender has some brains about it and it knows not to turn off the data if an app is using the data connection when the stream is turned off. For example, lets say that you are streaming music from Pandora or Google Music with the screen turned off. I couldn't make Smart Actions understand that I wanted the data turned on while streaming but Juice Defender understands this and leaves the data turned on even while the screen is off. It works great!

Now I use Smart Actions for other things not related to battery life.

BlueShadow

Reaction score
So if you have Wi/Fi toggled on, and you walk into your house where you have Wi/Fi, does it automatically start using that and stop using 3g and save battery life that way?
Thanks.