Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by n8sco, Jul 9, 2011.

1. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I was talking with a friend about the WIFI sleep policy yesterday. By default I think it is set to "turn off WIFI when screen is off", which is probably a good way to have it set. However, if you open up the DLNA app it will put up a somewhat cryptic dialog box about "never turning off wifi for better DLNA performance". If you press OK I think it changes your WIFI sleep policy to "Never". I would change it back to the default--could save some power.

2. Riley

Riley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has gone from a normal use day of medium use i would get around 16+ hours or more on battery with 15-20% left.

All of a sudden in the last day or so I like right now have 50% left after 4 hours of moderate use and my cell standby is always around 45%.

I always have a great signal and 3G

makes no sense to me.

Maybe I should so a factory reset?

3. spacecasespiff

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is doing the same thing. I've always had really good battery life but the last two day its much worse. Ive changed nothing so I don't get it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

4. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Maybe update PRLs by dialing *22899

5. MECHANO

MECHANO Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I unplugged @ 5:15 am this morning. I've had two, fifteen to thirty minute conversations, some light texting, 15-20 emails, and about 45 minutes worth of browsing. It is currently 7:16 pm and I am at 30-40%.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

#569 MECHANO, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. Fr33dom

Fr33dom Member

Ratings:
    +6
    68% with Bluetooth on all day

7. Fr33dom

Fr33dom Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Personally I wouldn't want WIFI at all if I had to turn it off when the screen is off. Part of the deal here is that WIFI is faster and more efficient. If I have to download updates etc and have WIFI available, it is generally better to use WIFI. If however I have to keep the screen on in order to keep the downloads working, then there is an added cost. What would be a smarter approach IMHO is if the radio would cease trying to connect if there isn't a network I've approved available after X amount of time. It can pop up every X minutes and check again, but if no network, it should shut down. This is essentially what Juice Defender professes to do, though it also professes to have location/learning based means to turn the network on.

So while it may save some battery if you set it to turn off when the screen is off, you might as well never turn it on as far as I'm concerned.

8. Fr33dom

Fr33dom Member

Ratings:
    +6
    If you chose to set global to CDMA in settings rather than pulling the SIM card, check the settings.

9. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    It all depends how you use your phone and where you have WIFI availability. I leave WIFI toggled on all the time. I noticed that if I do that and have the sleep policy set to "Never" it seems to have a negative impact on the battery. I don't have a lot of data moving around when my screen is off. I use most of my data browsing with the screen on. That being said, when I download a Howard Stern Show MP3 every morning I try to be on WIFI. When the screen goes off, I believe that the current downloads continue to keep the WIFI active.

Still, what is good for one person may not work well for another. I'm just saying that one setting that people might want to mess with is the WIFI sleep policy. By default it is set to "turn off when the screen turns off" but as I mentioned the DLNA app pops up a dialog that says something to the effect of "turn wifi sleep policy to never? It may negatively impact battery". People might be changing their sleep policy to "Never" without knowing it. YMMV.

10. Riley

Riley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I set mine to cdma since I've had the phone and I still am getting 45% of my battery use is cell standby. I've updated my prl twice and done all the other tricks.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

11. Jeeper_Slick

Jeeper_Slick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After using the Bloat Freezer on my Rooted D3, my battery life jumped significantly. When my battery hit 15%, it had been running for 16 hours. That was one of a cheap 1500 Chinese battery.

12. Ragnell

Ragnell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Replacement phone and yea, it WAS my phone, Did abit of medium to light useage and got 17hrs at 45%, Mostly making Phone calls and re-installing apps, Left it on overnight as well with wifi on, MUCH happier now

Search tags for this page
2m and 9s on battery

droid 3 battery life

droid 3 by motorola battery life
droid battery 3sh00134 53m
droid razr drops batter life in incriments of 10
phone idle is at 34%
putting apps on the front page causes more batteery life
s4 display sucking battery
what does 5m 33s on battery mean on android phone