Battery Life?

Ragnell

Reaction score
Updated to the leak, rooted and froze the bloat, off charger since 7:00 am at 94%.

The leak seems to have fixed the standby and idle issues. If you have the means and know what you're doing installing the "leaked" update will fix a lot of battery related issues.

Everyone is positive that you can still get OTA updates even with the leak? if so then I'm gonna do that right now

Reaction score
All the links don't work I Think they all have been taken down

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Ragnell

Reaction score
All the links don't work I Think they all have been taken down

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

No they are still up, I downloaded it when I first heard about it leaking to my desktop and I just did 5 mins of looking and found the same link for the update file just now to my laptop

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not OTA, you'll have to watch for someone to post it.
When was this confirmed? Just wondering.

Anyways, after that (fake)"soaked" OTA update, my battery life is AMAZING! 85% left with quite a bit of use. Even watched probably 30minutes of youtube with some friends during my off period today.
mail

Oops, I need to invert the colors again after rerooting.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
When was this confirmed? Just wondering.

Anyways, after that (fake)"soaked" OTA update, my battery life is AMAZING! 85% left with quite a bit of use. Even watched probably 30minutes of youtube with some friends during my off period today.
mail

Oops, I need to invert the colors again after rerooting.

Okay, I'm going to let my OCD loose for just a minute. <rant> The update that has been circulated is neither soaked nor OTA. It wasn't released at all and you certainly didn't get it OTA. According to Motorola, there has been no SOAK test yet. </rant> Now the reason for the rant is that I see future confusion by new users.

As far as confirmation goes, here are quotes from the Moto website by the employees that moderate the forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/460460#460460
as i described above if the stolen version is not the final then the people on it will more than likely not get the official update when it is released and will have to wait for (if ever) a leaked full OS (sbf) of the latest in order to get to the official.

this is standard practice and not something that Motorola does on purpose or is the only company that does it like this.

as i said before this is a very possible scenario:

(OS versions below use to simlpy the numbers)

1. our D3 is on 1.0.0
2. Motorola sends out 1.0.1 to test devices
3. they test and check with verizon and then test etc...
4. they find some more bugs or a fix breaks something else that worked before whatever and they end up going through some tests from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 and finally get approved and working at 1.0.4
5. there is no reason to create an update from 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 since they never released these and the "update" parts would be slightly different for each of these versions since things were changed along the way that either arent being used or whatver as they were changed.
6. the update is sent out and it will ONLY update 1.0.0 to 1.0.4 becasue if your developing software and didnt give anyone the other versions out side of the test phones there is no reason to take the time to get updates from these test versions to the latest and spend the time doing invidiual upgrades.

(Q) so you will say "that doesnt make any sense since they could just release a full OS (SBF)"

(A) maybe they could but it is not how they set up the system to work and it really is their decision on how to do this. whether you like it or not if you stay on what they provide then your good to go and your phone will work as they planned it to.

(Q) you might say " well if the test phones can update then so can we and why dont they just give us that solution"

(A) we arent made aware of how this is done and it could be that a tester on 1.0.2 or 3 or whatever is provided a way to get back to 1.0.0 to allow them to update as well.

and from https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/460846#460846

There have not been any soaks yet.

and from https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/461120#461120

Rooted phones and/or phones not running the standard software load will not get an OTA update, even if you are part of a soak test. You have to be completely stock, no removed/frozen apks, no backup programs left in place -- no nothin'!

and finally fromhttps://supportforums.motorola.com/message/461332#461332

you can not get back to stock either officially or unofficially.

i have posted in this thread many times that you risk being stuck from whatever amount of time (unknown) if you root your D3 or apply the leaked possibly beta software update.

mgerbasio,

you didnt break any rules. it is important they know what they are getting into and most dont have a clue. not pointing fingers just a blanket statement. just because a teenage "dev" releases some root or leaked update isnt a reason to go jump into to their game. if you play the game you can lose sometimes.

Now while I'm quite sure some of this is unnecessary bluster--I'm especially suspicious about that last statement--I don't see any reason to doubt the statement about how the OTAs work.

And here is another reason to be rather anal about language. What is being talked about here is OTA, not downloading a future update that someone manages to grab off their phone before applying and posts.

I see at least two basic propositions about how OTAs could work, but have no clear information of which is correct:

1. The server contacts the phone and tells it an update is available from version x to version x(1).
2. The update.zip checks to make sure it is updating the proper version.

It isn't without possibility that the information above is wrong, but I see no reason to doubt it.

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to let my OCD loose for just a minute. <rant> The update that has been circulated is neither soaked nor OTA. It wasn't released at all and you certainly didn't get it OTA. According to Motorola, there has been no SOAK test yet. </rant> Now the reason for the rant is that I see future confusion by new users.

As far as confirmation goes, here are quotes from the Moto website by the employees that moderate the forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/460460#460460

and from https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/460846#460846

and from https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/461120#461120

and finally fromhttps://supportforums.motorola.com/message/461332#461332

Now while I'm quite sure some of this is unnecessary bluster--I'm especially suspicious about that last statement--I don't see any reason to doubt the statement about how the OTAs work.

And here is another reason to be rather anal about language. What is being talked about here is OTA, not downloading a future update that someone manages to grab off their phone before applying and posts.

I see at least two basic propositions about how OTAs could work, but have no clear information of which is correct:

1. The server contacts the phone and tells it an update is available from version x to version x(1).
2. The update.zip checks to make sure it is updating the proper version.

It isn't without possibility that the information above is wrong, but I see no reason to doubt it.
Makes sense, good post.

But for clarification, I know the "OTA" I got is not the actual soaked OTA. I've read that numerous places already. Reason why in my post, I added "(fake)" due to the fact it is NOT the real soaked OTA. Also considering people are just now getting emails about it, that's another good indicator.

The whole point of my quoting you asking if it was clarified and really confirmed or not that the people that have this version of.. whatever it is, can or cannot/will not receive the real OTA update. If you caught that, good, post helps out others reading. If not.. then yeah, that's the only thing I needed from your reply, not the part that what we got isn't the real thing.

Though at the same time, I don't care, I love this as it has helped a lot, real or not.

Thanks for the reply either way though, you always got good info in your posts.

LT*

Reaction score
Another possibility is that the OTA will be the same update that was stolen, only with the root exploit patched. I can't remember reading about any issues with the update so far. All the tough talk form the support forums would be expected to try and scare some people into not applying it before they can roll out the non rootable version.

Just a though.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I don't doubt some of what is posted at the Moto forum is to dissuade, but I also don't doubt some of it is true. They mostly (and understandingly) ignore that people have in the past copied the updates off their phones and posted them before applying them. They do have to seem credible so I doubt what they are saying is an outright lie, though I don't doubt they are leaving things out.

I doubt the version used for soak testing will be the same as the one thats been passed around. The odds that some minor issue isn't discovered is very poor. I also doubt they'll add something like the root patch without soak testing it. Either way, if they add the root patch, the version number changes.

LT*

Reaction score
I don't doubt some of what is posted at the Moto forum is to dissuade, but I also don't doubt some of it is true. They mostly (and understandingly) ignore that people have in the past copied the updates off their phones and posted them before applying them. They do have to seem credible so I doubt what they are saying is an outright lie, though I don't doubt they are leaving things out.

I doubt the version used for soak testing will be the same as the one thats been passed around. The odds that some minor issue isn't discovered is very poor. I also doubt they'll add something like the root patch without soak testing it. Either way, if they add the root patch, the version number changes.

I suppose we'll have to wait until someone pulls the real OTA off and takes a look through it to find out.