Battery Life?

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
the battery life on this phone is junk and thats all there is to it....mine has been off the charger for 14hs 43min and at 37%
Phone Idle 32% for 13hrs 44min
Display on for 58min (it was nice out today so I was on the bike all day thats y the phone was never used)

now thats a bunch of JUNK my d2 b4 I rooted it and clocked it back would be at 50% after 10hrs with the display being on for 4-5hrs....so thats something that needs to be fixed for sure the phone setting there not being used 99% of the day and its at 37% come on thats stupid....dont get me wrong I love the phone and I can plug it up in the car while im on a job if need be but its the point of the hole thing they need to figure out what is eating up the batt life when the phone is idle!!!!! and im running the exact same apps as on the stock d2 b4 someone asks

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Someone else reported that if you don't remove all the widgets from Blur before using another launcher, they will still be running in the background.

That seems wrong to me. If you use a replacement launcher, the stock launcher doesn't run anymore. I don't see how it would ever call and keep widgets running, but I could be wrong.

Thats what I'm thinking as well. We'll see.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
50% tonight. When I restarted the phone I got a notice that it detected the SIM card and changed the settings back to global. So this must be confirmation that the settings in the menu are indeed the same as pulling out the card. I know you might think that obvious, but I wanted to be sure. So for me switching to CDMA only is worth 10% on the day.

80% tonight. I take this as proof that the problem is the low signal I get at work. I did switch back to CDMA only. I think I'll try tomorrow with global just to see.

90% tonight with one phone call and one short video (stored locally). So the Global setting is not chewing through my battery when I have good signal either. Tomorrow back to testing other settings. Back to CDMA for now.

Back on blur and as expected, 60%. I am removing the calendar widget for today's test.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Mine just started having an issue where the Wifi turns off and back on in an endless loop. The phone is also really hot and battery life is terrible because of this.
So far, rebooting the phone hasn't done anything and I can't seem to manually turn the wifi off. It has a mind of it's own.

I can put the phone into Airplane mode for a minute, then turn that back off and Wifi will behave but, I'm not able to connect to Wifi right now at all.

If you haven't tried a reboot, that would be the first thing to do. Otherwise you could try a factory reset, but it sounds faulty.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
My cell standby is at 42% which seems way too high to me. I've not made one call on my D3 today, not opened a single application and it's been off the charger for 10 hours and it's warning me to plug it in already at 15% charge.

My girlfriends Droid 1 is nearly 2 years old and it's getting exactly twice the life between charges and, she makes several calls a day on hers.

I'm turning this thing to Maximum battery life and if that doesn't help this P.O.S. is going back.

Pulling your sim card or setting the phone to use CDMA only is the quickest and best way to save battery so far if you're in a low signal area.

Some have also said the calendar widget is eating lots of battery.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Tell me if this is good battery life.

This is what I did yesterday I opened up my droid forum app about 20 times and replied about 4 times

Checked facebook about 10 times

Checked twitter about 8 times

Watched about 30 min of you tube vids

Checked for app upadates and downloaded one app

Opened up my zedge app and my backgrounds app and spent about 5 min on each one.

And took about 5 pics

At 12+ hours I had 40% battery left. So for me thats a light day of phone use for me. On moderate days I have about 40% left at 10 hours.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

The most important bit of information is missing. Regular or extended battery?

Either way, I don't think I'd have that much battery after that much use over 12+ hours, so I'd give it a qualified yes.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
My buddy told me of app called "JuiceDefender". It's in the Droid Market. It seems to work pretty good. The battery in my phone is HORRIBLE. I was debating whether to return my phone.
Try it out and see how it works.

I used JuiceDefender on my rooted d1 and it will help some, though I still think it failed to do some of what it promised. One free app that has been recommended is shutup battery saver. There is supposed to be a setting that will help in low signal areas. I hope to get to the point of testing it this week.

aramos87

Reaction score
Someone else reported that if you don't remove all the widgets from Blur before using another launcher, they will still be running in the background.

That seems wrong to me. If you use a replacement launcher, the stock launcher doesn't run anymore. I don't see how it would ever call and keep widgets running, but I could be wrong.

Thats what I'm thinking as well. We'll see.

Im pretty sure that they shouldnt be running, I looked in my task manager (stock one) to see what apps were running in the background and what was using my battery the most, and motoblur home was in a (not running) status which to me means that its well... not running. so i doubt that any of the widgets on those screens are using any battery at all.

aramos87

Reaction score
My buddy told me of app called "JuiceDefender". It's in the Droid Market. It seems to work pretty good. The battery in my phone is HORRIBLE. I was debating whether to return my phone.
Try it out and see how it works.

I used JuiceDefender on my rooted d1 and it will help some, though I still think it failed to do some of what it promised. One free app that has been recommended is shutup battery saver. There is supposed to be a setting that will help in low signal areas. I hope to get to the point of testing it this week.

I used JuiceDefender on this phone after having it for two weeksm, and it seemed to drain my battery more than save it. I downloaded it and enabled it overnight to see if it would save more battery while off the charger, and usually in the morning when i wake up its at about 90% after a full charge over night (usually about 6 hours or so). But when using JuiceDefender with all of the same apps as before it was at 70%. Im not sure what settings the app was on, i only enabled it with default settings but that was my experience with it.

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
nearly 2-1/2 hours on battery and im still at 100%. havent touched the phone and i have wireless and all data turned off.

is that possible?

B

aramos87

Reaction score
Im at 9 hrs 54 mins and I have 80% still, with my data on.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

John.Edwards

Reaction score
nearly 2-1/2 hours on battery and im still at 100%. havent touched the phone and i have wireless and all data turned off.

is that possible?

B

Kind of pointless to have great battery life when not using the device at all.

Yes it is possible. I've tried with the radios off and music playing from a local source for hours and the battery is barely drained. The battery drain is due to the radios - I am hoping for a fix.

The other day I was driving for about three hours (in a good coverage area) and without using the D3 at all, the battery drained from 100% to 30%.

militant

Reaction score

is that possible?

B

I get 2-3 hours at 100% if I barely touch it with background data ON, so YES, its entirely possible. 100% on our phones is calculated as any charge of 95% or above.

Fr33dom

Reaction score

is that possible?

B

What, you don't believe your liein' eyes?

Not everyone is having battery issues, some are quite happy. Indeed, If I worked in an area with good signal I could expect to see around 80% at 12hrs.

So perhaps yer eyes ain't liein' after all.

howzball

Reaction score
I gave in and carried mine into the Ver store today and told them about the battery issues, he takes the phone in back, comes back in about 5 minutes and hands it back to me and says try it now.
All he told me was something was installed that shouldn't be....? I asked but he just said some apps were running that don't need to be on all the time.

Now, I don't know if he actually did a damned thing or not but, wouldn't Watchdog have told me if something like this was up? The only other thing he screwed with was the display timeout setting which seems pointless if the battery is dying when I'm not even turning the display on.

Whatever the guy did, my Wifi has started working again now so maybe it wasn't a total lost cause.
He actually told me that 8 hours was all I could expect from it so apparently all of you getting better are outright liars..... either that or he's full of s---.
When I told him my Og Droid lasted 2 days he said it had a much bigger battery in it, he claims they've downsized battery life to save space..... I said BS and left.

I guess time will tell if whatever he did helps, funny why it had to be such a secret.