Battery Life?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Which battery mode does everyone use? Does Max life make a difference besides upating your data? Like Performance wise?

I've been using Customer battery saver, Brightness near lowest, Offpeak Hours 1am- 6am Turn off data after 15mins, Turn off data always on for peak hours

I've left mine on nighttime saver. Its funny, I don't need my battery use lowered at night.

I will play with these settings after I've proved the other things that have been recommended.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I think its time we cease with posting the stats since the percentages don't tell us all that much right now. It's been pretty clear for some time that the radio is our main suspect. I also think that the resolution of the data on that screen minimizes its usefulness as a debugging tool. We need to look at other tools.

I have been watching the Moto Forums and have found some things that suggest that we are correct about the radio, there may also be an issue with the amount of logging going on. While my personal experience with APC UPS batteries suggests that there could be a problem with the batteries Moto is using, I suspect it isn't a battery issue.

What I have noticed is that I get much better battery life at home on the weekends where my signal is much better. I am using a tool that will let me compare my battery use across several days. So I am working on proving some of the battery saving tactics listed in this thread.

Also mentioned on the Moto thread:

- uninstalled google plus (i hear its current notification method is battery heavy)
- turned off wifi network availability notification
- set the 'social networking' delivery frequency to 60 minutes
- installed ShutUpBatterySaver (free) and configured it to avoid data sync with low signal strength

I turn of my WFI network availability normally. I don't connect to networks I don't own anyway. I don't use Google+ yet, and My social networking delivery is set to push. I don't tend to update Facebook from my phone all that often so I have my doubts that the push is using much. While I did install the battery saver, I disabled it for now since I am trying to actively troubleshoot.

Day one of testing was with the sim card out, day two with it in. I compared the battery during the day at similar times and tried to have similar use profiles. At the end of each day I had 60% remaining.

Today I will try deleting the social network application's configuration settings.

Day three is ending and I am at 70%! What is extra special about this is that I left WIFI on all day. I also unwittingly left my adhoc wireless connection on at work most half of the day so the WIFI settings only affected part of the day.

Now I'm not saying WIFI gave me longer battery live. I said on the last post that I would test removing the Social Networking configuration. But when I looked for a way to do that, I came up empty. The app has nothing to do this with and under Manage Applications there was not much to do but force closing things. I'll detail this more in the morning if I have time, but suffice it to say that I thought that was basically a failed test. When I got to work I noticed I had left my WIFI on and decided to leave it that way.

So tomorrow I will leave WIFI off and make sure the social networking and social location apps get placed in the autokill bucket. I'll have a cleaner test to report tomorrow, but in the mean time I think we have enough proof that these two applications are a source of battery woes. If most of you were like me, you at least tried the app Social Networking, and perhaps Social Location--parts of the bloat that Moto or Verizon rudely failed to clean off our phones before sending them to us. Well if like me you discovered the remarkably useless work flow that these apps forced you through--describable only by invoking the name Edsel, and then marched off immediately to the market and downloaded the Facebook app and so on, you may well be paying for your natural curiosity with lower battery life. I'll confirm this supposition tomorrow and let you know.

70% again today. I am suspicious of that number so I am restarting my phone tonight and will see what I get with no changes or tasks killed tomorrow.

Part of the problem is that I killed some tasks and some of them--the bloatware--started back up. If what I did was achieve 10% by killing Facebook--and I did kill Facebook--then I am not doing what I set out to do. I already know I can save battery by removing Facebook and killing data and not using my d3 in the same way I used my d1. I could also save battery by buying a less useful phone.

Opiemitsu

Reaction score
Day one of testing was with the sim card out, day two with it in. I compared the battery during the day at similar times and tried to have similar use profiles. At the end of each day I had 60% remaining.

Today I will try deleting the social network application's configuration settings.

Day three is ending and I am at 70%! What is extra special about this is that I left WIFI on all day. I also unwittingly left my adhoc wireless connection on at work most half of the day so the WIFI settings only affected part of the day.

Now I'm not saying WIFI gave me longer battery live. I said on the last post that I would test removing the Social Networking configuration. But when I looked for a way to do that, I came up empty. The app has nothing to do this with and under Manage Applications there was not much to do but force closing things. I'll detail this more in the morning if I have time, but suffice it to say that I thought that was basically a failed test. When I got to work I noticed I had left my WIFI on and decided to leave it that way.

So tomorrow I will leave WIFI off and make sure the social networking and social location apps get placed in the autokill bucket. I'll have a cleaner test to report tomorrow, but in the mean time I think we have enough proof that these two applications are a source of battery woes. If most of you were like me, you at least tried the app Social Networking, and perhaps Social Location--parts of the bloat that Moto or Verizon rudely failed to clean off our phones before sending them to us. Well if like me you discovered the remarkably useless work flow that these apps forced you through--describable only by invoking the name Edsel, and then marched off immediately to the market and downloaded the Facebook app and so on, you may well be paying for your natural curiosity with lower battery life. I'll confirm this supposition tomorrow and let you know.

70% again today. I am suspicious of that number so I am restarting my phone tonight and will see what I get with no changes or tasks killed tomorrow.

Part of the problem is that I killed some tasks and some of them--the bloatware--started back up. If what I did was achieve 10% by killing Facebook--and I did kill Facebook--then I am not doing what I set out to do. I already know I can save battery by removing Facebook and killing data and not using my d3 in the same way I used my d1. I could also save battery by buying a less useful phone.

I hear ya. Try telling that to a VZW rep who says there is nothing wrong with the device and that all Android devices use lots of battery so turn everything you'd like to use off in order to save it. What's the point of having the phone? No one seems to want to touch the fact that our D1s lasted 2-3x as long with the same "usage" patterns.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Generally I get phenomenal life out of my battery, but the other day I had a bad one. Got 4 hours of moderate use with the extended battery. the battery stats showed Maverik pro using 60%, I backed out and kill tasks, so it was only running for about 5mins, but still used that much battery. Stupid zombies did the same thing a few days before that.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

spikejnz

Reaction score
Originally posted in this thread:

The wife and I both have D3s that we picked up on Tuesday. I got the D1 the day it got out, so I'm used to what the "average" battery consumption should be on an Android device. This phone, though, is insane.

I charged my phone last night to 100%, went to work this morning at 8 am, and then picked up my phone to check something at around 9:45. My battery was already at 40% (!!!!) and the back of the phone was burning up like it was running constantly. I checked battery status and here's what I saw.

Cell Standby 40% (12% time without a signal)
Phone Idle 26%
Android System 14%
Groupon (need to disable the constant checks) 6%
com.motorola.home 4%
Display 3%
Android OS 3%
Maps 2%
Media 2%
com.motorola.contacts 2%

I connected my phone to my second computer to charge it--which I've done w/o problem all week. I pick the phone up about 20 minutes later to check, and I'm down to 30%. Another 10 minutes, I'm at 15%. WTF?! The phone is DISCHARGING while charging! I know the MAX output of a USB port is ~500ma, and that the wall charger is ~750ma, but there's no reason for that.

I'm seriously starting to think that this phone was a bad decision.

Reaction score
Dont blaim the phone for this its a bad battery. Take it back and get a new battery and I bet that fixes your issue.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

spikejnz

Reaction score
Dont blaim the phone for this its a bad battery. Take it back and get a new battery and I bet that fixes your issue.

I'm not buying it. The back of the phone where the radio and processor are is what was UBER hot to the touch, not the battery itself. That indicates that the phone itself is consuming an abnormal amount of juice, not an issue with the battery.

40% Cell standby? WOW!

Reaction score
Now mine gets realy hot in the same place as well but I dont loose the much battery like you are. I would still get a new battery and find out about the phone having issues. Take it to verizon store and see what they can do for you. I would be reel curious about if you got another d3 and it did not do the same thing. Im thinking about doing that

militant

Reaction score
Pretty sure battery life will get better with time. Many apps still are not optimized for the D3 because of its newness, so once all the apps have caught up, the first software update rolls out, and especially root is avail and the bloat is freezed, this thing is going to be greased lightning.

otacon

Reaction score
With wifi off and no live wallpapers I get a full day of heavy use out of the extended battery.

Fr33dom

Reaction score

50% tonight. When I restarted the phone I got a notice that it detected the SIM card and changed the settings back to global. So this must be confirmation that the settings in the menu are indeed the same as pulling out the card. I know you might think that obvious, but I wanted to be sure. So for me switching to CDMA only is worth 10% on the day.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
No doubt something related to the 3g radio. I just charged up, took a train ride for just over 3 hours, battery is down to 20% with little usage.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Now mine gets realy hot in the same place as well but I dont loose the much battery like you are. I would still get a new battery and find out about the phone having issues. Take it to verizon store and see what they can do for you. I would be reel curious about if you got another d3 and it did not do the same thing. Im thinking about doing that

Mine doesn't get hot. But then I'm sure the heat is from games and such.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Pretty sure battery life will get better with time. Many apps still are not optimized for the D3 because of its newness, so once all the apps have caught up, the first software update rolls out, and especially root is avail and the bloat is freezed, this thing is going to be greased lightning.

I don't doubt it.

Ragnell

Reaction score
My stats currently are

20h 20m 50s on battery @ 15% right now
Cell Standby 27% - 20h 20m 40s
Phone idle 22% - 16h 44m 59s
Maps 16% - 2h 12m 1s
Android System 13% - 14m 26s
Voice calls 7% - 31m 48s
Display 7% - 3h 35m 50s
Wi-Fi 6% - 4h 14m 27s
Android OS 3% - 57m 31s

Extended battery, been using Maximum battery saving mode, there is no real down side to it other than data sync, performance seems the same. It drained about 20% when I left it off the charger with Wifi, was using it off and on, plugged it on and used it for GPS heading to VA, after that been using **** like foursquare, twitter, facebook, so it seems better life is getting better, i guess i was using my phone alot before.

I do notice that the battery doesn't really charge when using PDAnet it just stays at the same percentage, but whatever