Battery Life?

OP
N

n8sco

Reaction score
I have the same cell signal % but if you click on it it says that the radio has spend 0% of the time out of service or searching for service. It honestly seems like its using more battery in my pocket then when im using it.

Exactly. Mine is at 0 % as well. Hopefully the battery just needs a few more cycles to sort itself out.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
The heat may be telling you something

Perhaps there is a process locked up and running in the background. Try rebooting just in case. Also, in case you haven't experienced this before, if your slide opens slightly in your pocket, it will drain the battery faster, though the stats don't seem to point there.

As far as the heat goes, I get that occasionally with my (og, version 1...) Droid. After a reboot it does cool down. I suppose you could get one of those task killers and try to find the offending service/app, especially if it keeps happening.

socalsx

Reaction score
So far mine is great. Its been off the charger for 4 hours. lots of use: messing with the hd cam, tango video chat, pandora etc.. its only lost about 30%. better than my og

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Always CDMA with global phones unless you are abroad. The battery life should be noticeably better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

moset

Reaction score
Just a thought, if cell standby is high I would think its the radio. Maybe*228 2 to update PRL. (roaming).
Do you have a good signal most of the time? The radio searching for signal is a power hog. I'm pretty sure it's only CDMA in the states so I would think turn everything else off.
Don't think*228 option 2 can hurt.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

esm2

Reaction score
I've had mine for 2 days now and have noticed this too. Horrible battery life when compared to my droid 1. I have the same battery use stats as reported by other forum members:

8h on battery, down to 20% remaining
cell standby 29% (time w/out sig 0%)
wifi 29%
phone idle 26%
display 4% (time on 50m)
everything else less than 4%

what is going on??? this thing is going back to verizon if it can't last through a work day with wifi and bluetooth on...

I've toggled to CDMA only and I'll post again tomorrow after I run it down to share how those #'s have changed....

Snow02

Reaction score
You have to give it time to properly calibrate. After a few days, run it all the way down one time too so the phone knows where the cut off level is.

rushmore

Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quickly. If you don't mind my asking, what led you to that conclusion? Was it the high standby and idle percentages? Admittedly despite my love of technology I'm no expert in matters such as this. And if it is the case that the radio is acting up, should I turn on wifi when I'm at home to try and counteract it?

Wifi is always a better alternative to 3G (and obviously 4G) in terms of battery, in my experience. So yeh, try wifi.

Though wifi is better on battery, 3g should not be sucking battery like 4g on a bad day.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quickly. If you don't mind my asking, what led you to that conclusion? Was it the high standby and idle percentages? Admittedly despite my love of technology I'm no expert in matters such as this. And if it is the case that the radio is acting up, should I turn on wifi when I'm at home to try and counteract it?

Wifi is always a better alternative to 3G (and obviously 4G) in terms of battery, in my experience. So yeh, try wifi.

Though wifi is better on battery, 3g should not be sucking battery like 4g on a bad day.

have you turned it onto CDMA only not Global? I've noticed improved battery from that.

mattbooty

Reaction score
1st, how do you turn it to CDMA only, not global? I would like to try that.

2nd, my stats for today (first full day):

13 hrs on battery - 30% remaining
cell standby - 28%
wifi - 25%
phone idle - 24%
android system - 13%
display - 6%
android os - 2%

I'm really happy with the fact that on my D1 the display was consistently 40-50% of my battery... hats of to the (supposedly) terrible pentile.

mattbooty

Reaction score
1st, how do you turn it to CDMA only, not global? I would like to try that.

2nd, my stats for today (first full day):

13 hrs on battery - 30% remaining
cell standby - 28%
wifi - 25%
phone idle - 24%
android system - 13%
display - 6%
android os - 2%

I'm really happy with the fact that on my D1 the display was consistently 40-50% of my battery... hats of to the (supposedly) terrible pentile.

NM, found it, it was under settings, wireless and networks, mobile network settings, network mode.

Also, I did the *228 suggested earlier and my bars jumped from 1 to 4, so I'm hoping that may help as well.

OP
N

n8sco

Reaction score

have you turned it onto CDMA only not Global? I've noticed improved battery from that.

I believe I have as well. It was losing more or less 10 percent an hour until I changed it to CDMA and down to 30% when I went to sleep earlier. 2 hours ago when I woke up it was 20% and now the stats are as follows:

Battery Life: < 5%
16 Hours 5 mins on battery
Cell Standby: 41% (0 time without signal)
Phone Idle 36%
Android System 7%
Android OS 7 %
Display 6%
Wifi 5 %

I'm going to let it drain and then give it a full charge and see if it does better with similar usage tomorrow. I'll just be sure to bring my charger to work.

moset

Reaction score

I believe I have as well. It was losing more or less 10 percent an hour until I changed it to CDMA and down to 30% when I went to sleep earlier. 2 hours ago when I woke up it was 20% and now the stats are as follows:

Phone Idle 36%
Android System 7%
Android OS 7 %
Display 6%
Wifi 5 %

I'm going to let it drain and then give it a full charge and see if it does better with similar usage tomorrow. I'll just be sure to bring my charger to work.

How much time with display on?

OP
N

n8sco

Reaction score

Phone Idle 36%
Android System 7%
Android OS 7 %
Display 6%
Wifi 5 %

How much time with display on?

Probably 90 minutes at most. I really didn't use it much at all yesterday as I was occupied with other things. I let it drain early hours of this morning and then charged it while it was off and thus far the battery(knock on wood) seems to be fairing considerably better. I took it off the charger about 45 minutes ago and it's still at 100% since I really haven't touched it. Yesterday it was already down to 90% after about 30 mins, 25 of which were probably standby time. I even have the galaxy live wallpaper on whereas yesterday I had the default wallpaper. I'll post an update probably around this time tomorrow morning once I finish testing it out today and see how it fares at work tonight but I'm optimistic that 2 factors have and will make a difference. The first was almost definitely switching it to CDMA from Global Mode. I know that it's a global phone but making that the default setting when they know it's predominantly being used here in America right now is puzzling and I believe part of the reason that the battery was suffering. The other was that I had previously charged the device when it got down to about 5 percent so it had yet to get it's full capacity. I would recommend that anyone else having similar issues try those 2 things and maybe we can all pool our results and see what we get. At any rate it's thanks to the people who have been good enough to respond to this thread that I'm hopeful this issue will be resolved so thank you to all involved.

Last edited:

neilrl79

Reaction score
Last night i let the phone die completely and then fully charged it overnight. So far battery life is considerably better. Still at 90% and it's been off the charger with moderate use for almost 3 hours. Also, i did switcch to cdma as opposed to global.