Battery Life?

MrJoe

Reaction score
I yanked my sim card out of my phone as well...it was set to CDMA only before but i still saw battery drain from signal searching. Hopefully this fixes that!

So what effect has this had on your battery life? If you pull out your sim card it says no sim card on the lockscreen and it's kind of annoying but i'd be willing to put up with a minor annoyance for improved battery life

Well I've only the SIM card out for one full day, but I saw no impact on battery life. It pretty much stayed the same, I think im just gonna bite the bullet and order an extended battery next paycheck. The battery life is worse than my Original Droid, hopefully with the extended battery i'll be able to make it a full day with moderate/semi heavy use. I love pretty much everything else about the phone, though.

What do you expect me to do in class when fall semester starts, pay attention?? ;)

I guess I'll probably do the same thing when i get my next paycheck, this phone is great other than the semi-crappy battery life and bloatware. It is definitely a worthy replacement for my OG Droid

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I purchased the extended battery and it's working great. I'm using the original cover though because with the new one my case does not fit.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I purchased the extended battery and it's working great. I'm using the original cover though because with the new one my case does not fit.

Does the extended battery make your original cover bulge at all? Or does it fit nicely underneath without pushing up on it?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well after 16hrs im at 40% and here are my stats.

Standby - 35%
Idle - 29%
System - 15%
Display - 8% ( set at about 40%)
Calls - 4%
WIFi - 4%
Maps - 3%
Drag Racing - 3%
Android OS - 2%

Now i didnt tax it hard today, but the ex. battery is running extreemly better than yesterday. Tomorrow I will add a ton of widgets, use the web / youtube a lot and play games more than i did today.

Does the extended battery make your original cover bulge at all? Or does it fit nicely underneath without pushing up on it?
If you look at the phone REALLY close while parrelel right in front of your face, it looks a liiiiiittle bulged where the "M" logo is at, but, nothing you'd notice otherwise.

militant

Reaction score
I woke up from a night of binge drinking because I heard my phone go off. I take my phone off the dock so I can respond to the text, the phone was fully charged. I pass out before I can finish writing the text and send it again, I wake up some 3 hours later, phone still at 100%. Granted I didn't have any screen time on for 3 hours, but still, 3 hours of standby and to not lose any battery power? Just goes to show the people who's phones aren't making it through the night have defective phones or are doing something wrong. I have not 1 single icon on my 4 home screen, they are all completely comprised of widgets.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I've had some pretty kickass battery life too, which is a nice change from the d2g i had. If u dont get the awesome batt life check settimgs or go to verizon for a replacement.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

That's really not a good idea. There's a reason why they make the cover bigger for a bigger battery, even if the battery appears to fit with a smaller one. Batteries expand when they warm up, and with the original cover, that will cause the battery to press into components to the phone, which can cause a wealth of problems including overheating and damaging stress on the screen. If the extended battery would be fine with a smaller cover, Motorola would ship it that way (especially since thin is in).

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting. If it fails, a VZW rep will be a fault anyway due to the fact he also told me it should be fine with a normal cover. Plus, its warrented pretty good. I go out a lot and need a case. Didn't have one for my d1 and it looks like crap cause of the small dings its aquired. Nothing significant, just bad wear and tear. But ya, cases not fitting otherwise, so.. I see not to many alternatives.

militant

Reaction score

That's really not a good idea. There's a reason why they make the cover bigger for a bigger battery, even if the battery appears to fit with a smaller one. Batteries expand when they warm up, and with the original cover, that will cause the battery to press into components to the phone, which can cause a wealth of problems including overheating and damaging stress on the screen. If the extended battery would be fine with a smaller cover, Motorola would ship it that way (especially since thin is in).

This is why I opted to go with a New Trent 5000mAh portable external battery as my back up power source, rather than the extended battery. Extended battery, 50 dollars, and you still need to carry your original battery with you if you are going to be away from a power source for extended periods of time. The new trent battery I purchased was $41 shipped, and will charge my phone to full 3+ times, or allow it to run and stream movies for hours and hours. Plus it comes in a nice little carrying bag, and the battery pack itself can be recharged from any wall charger that has a USB connection on it. Not to mention, the extended battery is only good for a Droid 3, where as this can be used to charge my PSP, an iPad/tablet pc, etc.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
I wonder to myself if people take in to consideration the amount of APPS they have installed on their phone may contribute to poor battery life...

My coworker and I got this phone on the same day... we have very different opinions on battery life... his D3 dies before lunch... mine lasts till the next morning

We both don't run widgets
no live wallpaper
launcher pro
roaming set to CDMA
*228 option 2
all the typical battery saving techniques

The one glaring difference.... this guy has like a hundred fifty apps on his phone
I have maybe 10....

And he's proud of it... he shows everybody all the cool apps he has downloaded over the past two years.... but he wont listen to me

Many of these apps run in the background and I believe many of them are not even compatible with this device... would an app keep trying to configure itself forever if it couldn't find the proper drivers or whatever to settle down and run clean?

I dunno.... it is very obviously the only difference between our two droids....(even traded batteries with him to prove him wrong about a bad battery)

Edit... I have a crapload of apps that i've purchased over time... but the ones that I hardly ever use, I uninstall and put back in the market.... they're always there when I need them... if I need a wifi signal strength app... it only takes a minute to download it and fire it up... there's no sense having it in my phone all the time when it constantly runs in the background doing scans every time my wifi is on killing the battery...

Advice : use the market as your bulk storage place for your apps... not your phone.... and watch your battery life go thru the roof!!!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is why I opted to go with a New Trent 5000mAh portable external battery as my back up power source, rather than the extended battery. Extended battery, 50 dollars, and you still need to carry your original battery with you if you are going to be away from a power source for extended periods of time. The new trent battery I purchased was $41 shipped, and will charge my phone to full 3+ times, or allow it to run and stream movies for hours and hours. Plus it comes in a nice little carrying bag, and the battery pack itself can be recharged from any wall charger that has a USB connection on it. Not to mention, the extended battery is only good for a Droid 3, where as this can be used to charge my PSP, an iPad/tablet pc, etc.

Wait a second.. where'd you get this at? I will gladly take my extended battery back for this if the battery life is better. The rep said I have 30 days for accessory returns if it doesn't work out.

By the way, I get 25% off things at verizon, which made the battery 37bucks, 41.08 after tax. So no biggy there. :)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

militant

Reaction score
I wonder to myself if people take in to consideration the amount of APPS they have installed on their phone may contribute to poor battery life...

My coworker and I got this phone on the same day... we have very different opinions on battery life... his D3 dies before lunch... mine lasts till the next morning

We both don't run widgets
no live wallpaper
launcher pro
roaming set to CDMA
*228 option 2
all the typical battery saving techniques

The one glaring difference.... this guy has like a hundred fifty apps on his phone
I have maybe 10....

And he's proud of it... he shows everybody all the cool apps he has downloaded over the past two years.... but he wont listen to me

Many of these apps run in the background and I believe many of them are not even compatible with this device... would an app keep trying to configure itself forever if it couldn't find the proper drivers or whatever to settle down and run clean?

I dunno.... it is very obviously the only difference between our two droids....(even traded batteries with him to prove him wrong about a bad battery)

Edit... I have a crapload of apps that i've purchased over time... but the ones that I hardly ever use, I uninstall and put back in the market.... they're always there when I need them... if I need a wifi signal strength app... it only takes a minute to download it and fire it up... there's no sense having it in my phone all the time when it constantly runs in the background doing scans every time my wifi is on killing the battery...

Advice : use the market as your bulk storage place for your apps... not your phone.... and watch your battery life go thru the roof!!!

I have 123 apps, my 4 home screens are made entirely of widgets. I have 1 clickable regular icon on my main screen, which is the market, and the hard keys at the bottom from launcher pro. I use a folder organizer to make snazzy icons on my main screen to organize separate app drawer's (games/tools/apps/media/etc). The rest of my screens are loaded with news, sports, google music, facebook, google+, beautiful widgets, etc, and I still get really good battery life. I didn't read your entire post, but something HAS to be wrong with his settings, OR he has a defective device which he needs to return to Verizon. I downloaded all my MANUALLY, and did not restore them from google, or SD card, or any other means. The re-occuring theme I keep seeing with people that have craptastic battery life, is that they transfered all their stuff over from their older droid phones. If he did this, he needs to do a factory re-set and add everything manually to his phone.

militant

Reaction score

So it will work for D3? The pictures confuse me. I get charging is all the same but I'm not so much worried about that as much as the battery fitting into my phone.

Yes, I have used it do charge my Droid 3. It comes with multiple interchangeable tips, including Mini-Usb, and Micro-Usb (used for android smartphones). Its EXTERNAL as I said, it doesn't go in your phone. You plug your phone into it, and charge it off that. It has a 2 foot cord so you can use the phone and place the charger somewhere, so using the phone is not cumbersome. And its rather small and easily fits into your pocket/purse.

edit: The cord itself is retractable, and can be as short as 3 inches, or go up to 2 feet as I said, and it all fits nicely/easily into a little carrying pouch they give you, which could easily fit inside a man's jean pocket alongside his phone (unless you are a hipster or wear form fitting clothing).

Last edited: