Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by n8sco, Jul 9, 2011.

1. militant

militant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the double post. I keep having to turn auto brightness on. Something keeps disabling it. Any idea what gives?

Sent from my DROID3

2. tonydelite

tonydelite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd just like to mention, a brand new Lithium battery typically takes a few cycles before it reaches max capacity. So that is probably the reason that people are seeing improved battery life now.

3. dancingcrab

dancingcrab Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update - still at 5%, now at 28 hours...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

4. xxspark89xx

xxspark89xx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Battery Usage

Pictures say it all. This is with moderate to light usage. Some phone calls, text messages, browsing facebook, etc.

Display Brightness is AUTO and I have the extended battery installed.

5. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Apparently that is not true. Lithium-ion batteries do not require "priming". Source: How to Charge - When to Charge Table - Battery University

That being said, about once every 30 charging cycles run it all the way down and charge it all the way up. Also do this for new phone, new battery, OS update, and factory reset. The battery doesn't require this, but the phone needs it to understand the battery's range.

#161 NoBloatware, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. dancingcrab

dancingcrab Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Very nice. I ought to mention I do not have the extended battery, but maybe I should because that is immense.

Sent from my DROID 3

7. militant

militant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What was the screen time on for that screen shot?

Sent from my DROID3

8. DroidXDoes4G

DroidXDoes4G Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats great! I wonder how the Bionic will do with lte though

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

9. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck Member

Ratings:
    +5
    4:20... nice....

10. militant

militant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased this: Amazon.com: New Trent ifuel IMP500 5000mAh External Battery pack and Charger for Apple iPhone 4 4G 3Gs 3G (AT&T and verizon), iPod Touch (1G 2G 3G 4G), Motorola Droid, HTC Android EVO, Blackberry, Kindle DX, Samsung EPIC, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Samsu.

$41 Shipped. Cheaper than the extended battery, and its 5000mAh, which means it should proved at least 2+ full charges from empty on the D3. If I'm going to be pocketing an extra battery, I'd rather carry this and be good for an entire weekend or whatever, than just have a few extra hours of time. Doesn't hurt that it's cheaper than the extended battery through Verizon. Also been stock piling rubberized snap cases I can find below 8 dollars. Most sites are charging 12-22 bucks for them, I got a black one for 6 off amazon, and its wonderful. Looking to get a few more colors/extras for when this one wears out or I want a change. There are some real expensive cases (30+) made by premium brands, wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

11. Fr33dom

Fr33dom Member

Ratings:
    +6
    And we could use a sticky post on the topic.

Every ROM I've tried had an option to delete batterystats.bin. I've tried to search for what exactly is stored in batterystats.bin and how it impacts the system and I've come up with conflicting data (big surprise?). Some have suggested that running your phone through total discharge-recharge cycles would reset the data in this file. Note that fully discharging the battery repeatedly may damage it. Others have indicated that this doesn't work. There are some applications out there that profess to delete this file so system can recreate it, but some suggest to discharge fully first and others say to charge fully first.

Either way, I contend this file is responsible for the percentages given. There are apps out there that profess to delete this file for you--it gets regenerated so you're pretty safe to do so if root isn't required.

Taking into account what Battery University says, I would think the first thing to try is at least one full discharge-recharge cycle, though recharging with the phone powered off may be best. I'd also disable anything that needs to refresh its data over the network regularly--weather widgets and news widgets for example. In fact it might be a good idea to remove all apps for 5 days and add them back slowly, over the course of a few days. What you're doing is trying to find an app that might be sucking the battery dry so pick the apps carefully and add the unlikely suckers first, watching for a day to see if your battery starts drying up faster.

I'm on my 5th day with this phone and I'm surprised by the positive difference between yesterday and today. Because I had read this forum and knew folks were having battery issues, I ran the phone three days before adding anything new. I still haven't added everything in fact. I will over the course of the next week. I'm also not a heavy data user so YMMV.

12. mysticalmalissa

mysticalmalissa Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    One of the nicest times of day :)

Search tags for this page
2m and 9s on battery

droid 3 battery life

droid 3 by motorola battery life
droid battery 3sh00134 53m
droid razr drops batter life in incriments of 10
phone idle is at 34%