Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by n8sco, Jul 9, 2011.

1. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck Member

Ratings:
    +5
    And keep in mind... your droid will never run your battery to zero... when the phone runs all the way down till it shuts off it still maintains some voltage and the battery will not be harmed.. the purpose of running it down "once in a while" is to keep the phones battery meter calibrated to the state of the battery... as the battery gets older and has less usable power... the phone will know how to break that up into percentages for you...

2. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    independent of the battery degrading, the once every two month discharge/charge recalibrates the phone's understanding of where "full charge" is. The phone loses track, as you might expect, over time and with any partial charging that we do. It is best to charge til full if you can.

3. militant

militant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I have background data enabled, I drop to 90% within 20 minutes of taking it off the charger, and I've had it about a week now, so I've gone through a few solid battery cycles. Anyone else's do the same?

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Member

Ratings:
    +2
    IDK, its looking to me like we're gonna see an update from moto regarding the radios and battery life. Cell standby being by far the most draining resource, next to phone idle, seems kinda weird to me.

5. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Oh, I forgot update PRLs by dialing *22899

So if the battery discharge/charge is done, we rule out any bad software, we turn off GSM antenna, we're sure syncing isn't running wild, we update PRLs then what's left? Bad battery, bad phone, bad reception in your area. Anything else or would it be time to take the phone back and try a replacement?

6. dancingcrab

dancingcrab Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate and respect this response. Thank you.

7. militant

militant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    3h1m on battery down to 70% already, standby 35%, idle 23%, display 15%(1h)... it's weird. One day I went 5-6 hours draining only 20%, today it seems to be doing 10% every 45 minutes or so. No denying the battery is great when I turn background data off, and while I can still use facebook, and other things with background data off, I do not get e-mails and other such notifications. My weather clock is set to update every 2 hours, I have auto brightness on, updated PRM, radio on CDMA, never have wifi on unless I'm signed into a network, Google location services on. Any ideas?

8. Snow02

Snow02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Are you in a low signal area?

9. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Would being on this forums app for 50minutes straight be considered heavy or light use? Because, doing that, I'm down to 80battery now. Obviously when I'm out and about I won't be able to do that besides sending a few texts here and there so it would hopefully last longer w/ more light use, but I want to know if even it going down to that is too fast for the battery draining. I'm seeing some people saying they've had it on 90% for a couple to a few hours.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

10. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you. Here's the popular web site for battery info: Charging Lithium-ion - Battery University

They say a Li-ion likes a partial charge. I thought it was best to minimize charging cycles to prolong battery life--meaning charge fully. It's complicated! Another link: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Site also says batteries probably have circuitry to prevent truly running them all the way down.

#154 NoBloatware, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  11. dancingcrab

dancingcrab Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, cheers man.

My battery is currently at 5% and has been running for over 26 hours. I'm pretty chuffed! Will make sure I let it run all the way down, haven't done that yet.

#155 dancingcrab, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  12. militant

militant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I'm at home. Full strength 24/7 and never had problems w/ any phone before.

Search tags for this page
2m and 9s on battery

droid 3 battery life

droid 3 by motorola battery life
droid battery 3sh00134 53m
droid razr drops batter life in incriments of 10
phone idle is at 34%
putting apps on the front page causes more batteery life
s4 display sucking battery
what does 5m 33s on battery mean on android phone