Battery life

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by gibsonlp223, Mar 31, 2011.

1. gibsonlp223

gibsonlp223 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just was curious as to what kind of battery life everyone has been getting. Mine hasn't been so great, I've been dropping 30 percent every hour and a half. :/ so if your getting good battery life, what kind of kernal/ cpu settings are you running?

2. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +264
    Yeah, something sounds strange with that ... I am still on the stock kernel - bumped it up to 800/interactive. I am sure we don't have the same usage patterns, but mine definitely is not dropping that fast.

Sent from my Incinerated DROID

3. lindel

lindel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been getting outstanding battery life with Chevy's version of GB.

4. Lisbian08

Lisbian08 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Mine is not quite that bad, but pretty close. I am using the ULV 1000 Chevy Kernal. I have my setcpu down to 800/500 ondemand. With screen off I am 550/125 ondemand. I still got much better battery life from Chevy's Froyo ROMs. I am not sure what is causing the drain on my end. It seems to differ from user to user.

5. LT*

LT* Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the Kernel provided at 800/125 on-demand when the screen is on, and 550/125 when sleeping. Mine drains around 10% every 2-3 hours or so on average. But 30% in an hour and a half...something's fishy with that.

6. gibsonlp223

gibsonlp223 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, that's what I thought, I was like whoa why is it dropping this fast, all I was doing was some browsing, not super heavy browsing either. Anyone have any ideas? My first thought was compcache which I have on, does that cause a lot of drain?

7. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's better than it ever has been, but not nearly as good as some are reporting. I get around 12 hours on a charge, with moderate use, and that's if I don't play Parallel Kingdom at all (MURDERS the battery in like 2 hours). Not using SetCPU, have Chevy's latest ULV 800, running at 700 max, 250 min. Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth off all day, auto brightness, no nav, no task killers, no Exchange, signed out of GTalk. I never see anything out of the ordinary in Running Services. Not sure what's happening. I'm going to temporarily uninstall WallSwitch and Remote Wipe, to see if either of those could be draining it. I doubt it, since neither show up in About Phone / Battery Use, or in Spare Parts. Any other tips or tricks?

8. cleave

cleave Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My battery sucks too. Losing 30% an hour with steady usage of internet surfing and droid forum. My battery is the original battery that came with the phone. I'm thinking I might get a new battery and see if that makes a difference. I'm even running Green Power (battery app). However, if I'm not surfing the net or playing with apps, my battery life is amazing.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

9. Lisbian08

Lisbian08 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You know, there may be something to that. The thing that is draining my battery the worst is the internet on 3G. Can anyone else correlate their battery drain to that? Perhaps people that are getting excellent battery life are using more wifi, or don't use as much data.

10. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Several things can cause battery drain like that:

1. Battery is just at the end of it's life
    2. The kernel (specifically ULV can cause issues for a good % of folks)
    3. Rogue app running constantly (can be verified by running mtop in terminal, or using an app like OS Monitor)

11. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good stuff, Chevy. I wasn't aware that the ULV kernel could actually cause poor battery life. Seems counter-intuitive, but I know how picky our Droids can be. Also, mtop gave away that I'm still signed into Latitude, which I'm sure is draining at least a little. I totally forgot about it.

Going to finish out today on the ULV, just to get a solid measurement of life, and I'll install the LV before bed tonight. We'll see!

12. cleave

cleave Member

Ratings:
    +3
    How do I use mtop?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App