1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Battery Life

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by nhynes86, Nov 9, 2009.

1. nhynes86

nhynes86 New Member

I charged my phone last night before I went to bed so it was at 100%. I unplugged it before I went to bed with a fulk battery and woke up this morning and it was at 20%. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve my battery life? Is there a way to disable the internet completely so the phone is not searching anything?
  2. pope66682

pope66682 New Member

Make sure bluetooth and WiFi are off when not in use. Also, get taskkiller. It will list all running apps and you can one-click to close them out.
  3. nhynes86

nhynes86 New Member

I tried that and it still seemed to die. Do you know is the phone searching all night is that why it is dying?
  4. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

i went to bed at 80% and woke up at 60%.. not as bad as your experience, but i don't know why the battery is leaking so much.

bluetooth and wifi off.
  5. smokin5s

smokin5s New Member

there's a power saving app out there, I downloaded it and noticed better battery life since instaling it.

My question is, what happened to all the raves about how great the battery life was on it?
  6. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

I think there might be in your case something running in the background that is sucking up alot of juice, try using advanced app killer, or something close to it, leaving the base applications open i don't think will hurt too much, but most likely the apps you've downloaded you might want to keep off though.
  7. nhynes86

nhynes86 New Member

What is the app called?
  8. krusers3

krusers3 New Member

Same thing happened to me. Phone was at 100% when I went to bed last night and when I got up this morning it was totally dead. It is now fully charged, and I installed task killer, but not really sure which tasks I should keep going and which I should kill.
  9. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

you really could kill all... if gps stops working when you wake ur phone up, just re-enable or restart your phone
  10. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

The apps that i keep open are the email apps, messaging app, my alarm clock, calendar, and my battery widget. The other apps so far that i've installed don't need to be running all the time.
  11. smokin5s

smokin5s New Member

Power Manager TRIAL v1.6.3
  12. nhynes86

nhynes86 New Member

Thank you.
  13. krusers3

krusers3 New Member

Don't think it is a battery issue

I posted yesterday about my battery draining. Last night when I went to bed my phone was at 70 percent charge. I put it on the charger and went to bed. When I got up this morning I could not get the phone to wake up. I had to take the battery out and put it back in. I then plugged it in to the charger and a few minutes later tried to wake the phone up and it came on. AT A 100% CHARGE! So something is making the phone shut down. I am calling my local Verizon now and will let you know what they say
  14. krusers3

krusers3 New Member

Who knows

I called my local Verizon store and they said bring it in. They told me that it has been found that if the apps are not written for 2.0 they can power cycle the phone.

When I went in everyone who worked there played dumb . They said that it's a new phone, everyone is still learning , yada, yada, yada. I felt like I knew more than they did just by reading these forums. They did say they would replace the phone. Since I am only 4 days into it, I decided to hang onto it.

I have removed all the applications except for the ones that were on the phone when I got it or ones that were from the Verizon app store. I will see if it powercycles tonight. If it doesnt then I will add back some apps one by one .
  15. TommyGrubz

TommyGrubz New Member

looking through the settings on the phone I noticed there is a way to see exactly what is using the most battery. From home screen: menu/settings/about phone/ battery use

To the people having the problem here: do you leave it on the alarm clock app all night while unplugged? If so, the screen stays on all night and that will kill your battery. I think the screen uses the most battery out of anything.
  16. jakens84

jakens84 New Member

My battery, at normal usage (downloading apps, listening to music, internet browse) uses about 10% of the battery per hour. On full charge, that's approx 10 hours.

I have turned my screen brightness to the lowest setting. (Turned auto-detect off)
  17. Bateluer

Bateluer New Member

Have you checked to make sure the GPS is off too? Bluetooh, WiFi, GPS, and screen brightness seem to be the biggest power wasters for me.
  18. TommyGrubz

TommyGrubz New Member

Yesterday I got 21 hrs out of my battery with moderate use. This was with wifi and GPS on all day, and bluetooth on some of the time (while I was in the car - not THAT long). If you don't get anything near that you may consider taking it back and getting a new one. One thing I know is you should always allow it to fully charge, then charge all the way (cycle) a couple times when you first get it. After the first couple times, you should 'cycle' your battery maybe once a month.

Also, if you leave it plugged in for a very long time after its done charging it will "fry" your battery and wont last as long. If you think this happened put your battery in the freezer at home over night (not kidding), then let it come back to room temp - make sure there is no condensation and it isn't cold or cool, then charge it back up. This is a trick I learned about lithium ion batteries over at BlackberryOS.com that works for ALL lithium ion batteries - even worked for my xbox controller that wouldn't hold ANY charge!
  19. MrTommy

MrTommy New Member

Is the battery a "deal killer?"

I'm not a Droid owner yet, but have been going back and forth between wanting to buy one RIGHT NOW, and holding on to my LGnv2 because none of these battery issues come up. I use Bluetooth all day long, talk a LOT on my phone (I'm a truck driver, and our cell phones are the Long Distance CB's now). Sounds to me like the battery might be an issue. I take lots of videos and pass them along during the day, and talk a LOT all night long. As much as I love the sound of all this tech stuff, I'm wondering about battery life. If I have to remember to constantly shut off stuff I'm not using (GPS, WiFi, etc), I just know I'm going to blow it. Can you charge these things via ciggy plug while you're still using them?:blink:

I don't think leaving your phone plugged into the charge will fry your battery. It used to be that way but I think the chargers are 'smart' now and automatically shut down when the battery is completely charged.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  20. mrpete311

mrpete311 New Member

I've tried numerous things. This battery life is worse than the BB Storm. I had read reviews where it was better?

Oh well......luckily chargers at work, home and car.