Battery life

Ma_USMC

Reaction score
Really pleased with what seems to be a more accurate battery reading. Going to work hard to drain it tonight and set if it skips.

Does anyone know how the JIT compiler influences battery life yet?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kkrind72

Reaction score
turned off JIT.
Charged to 100%
Wiped battery stats
Drained battery as fast as possible.
Charged to 100%
Wiped battery stats
Drained battery as fast as possible (2nd time it took alot longer to do this...i literally turned on my flashlight for 20 minutes to drain the last 20% of battery because I had to goto sleep.)
Battery has SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

did you notice the phone lagging with JIT off?

to be honest, not really. I do not play games on my phone, so I don't know about games. For just daily use without games and stuff, you probably won't notice anything. I'm not sure if it is the JIT or deleting battery stats, but all I know is that my battery life has seriously gained some increase. Literally around 2.5 times with no exaggerations.

zoomy942

Reaction score
turned off JIT.
Charged to 100%
Wiped battery stats
Drained battery as fast as possible.
Charged to 100%
Wiped battery stats
Drained battery as fast as possible (2nd time it took alot longer to do this...i literally turned on my flashlight for 20 minutes to drain the last 20% of battery because I had to goto sleep.)
Battery has SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

to be honest, not really. I do not play games on my phone, so I don't know about games. For just daily use without games and stuff, you probably won't notice anything. I'm not sure if it is the JIT or deleting battery stats, but all I know is that my battery life has seriously gained some increase. Literally around 2.5 times with no exaggerations.

i use my phone the same way. texting, a little browing and calling.

mind updating us after a day of normal use?

kkrind72

Reaction score

sure. By the way, I'm using the Low 1.1ghz kernel on the patched ss5.2
And as for the original question of this thread, I solved mine by the deleting the battery stats solution.
Today: It's been 7 hours and 6 minutes on battery. Display was kept on 50% brightness. Display time on was 1 hour and 51 minutes. Listened to music for 1 hour and 21 minutes. Texting throughout the day and no phone calls. Im sitting at about >50%.

Had I used my phone like this before deleting battery stats and turning off JIT, my phone would definitely be anywhere from 10% to dead.

Ma_USMC

Reaction score
After a full day of cleared battery stats, I still have a 40->20% jump. I will see if this improves.

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score

sure. By the way, I'm using the Low 1.1ghz kernel on the patched ss5.2
And as for the original question of this thread, I solved mine by the deleting the battery stats solution.
Today: It's been 7 hours and 6 minutes on battery. Display was kept on 50% brightness. Display time on was 1 hour and 51 minutes. Listened to music for 1 hour and 21 minutes. Texting throughout the day and no phone calls. Im sitting at about >50%.

Had I used my phone like this before deleting battery stats and turning off JIT, my phone would definitely be anywhere from 10% to dead.

What kind of phone do you have?

angrymexican

Reaction score
heres an update for you guys on my battery stats for my droid 1. i am now at almost sixteen hours on a single charge with the jit off so i decided i would try another method ,so i disabled the allow purging of assets option under the performance settings and my battery life has gone from 16 hours to 23 hours on a single charge with texting and phone calls and web surfing throughout the day ...... woo hoo !!!

p.s. can anyone else confirm this little method as well . i dont want to think it is a random thing on my droid!

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Doing that, didnt u loose facebook contact syncing, did u first simply try going into the facebook apps - settings & select "never" for refreshing and un-check all of the boxes that are checked....that would also improve battery life if them options were previously enabled.

My battery life almost tripled when I removed my Facebook account from the Accounts screen. I can still use the Facebook App without any noticeable difference, so not sure why it takes such a hit then it's added as an account.

Running second GB leak.

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
I have always kept JIT disabled simply because it uses a little more ram & the droid is strapped for ram to start with...

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
HnH
That is interesting about JIT.
Sorry, but do you mind explaining exactly what benefits one gets from JIT being enabled? I thought I remember it deals with debugging. If so its it only helpful for the developer regarding problem solving?

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

0vermind

Reaction score
Being a developer, here's my reply on what JIT does. JIT only helps in certain conditions. Although it's believed that it increased performance of the phone all together, this usually is not the case. JIT allows programs to gain performance by having code compiled at runtime continuously as the program runs, however, it really doesn't increase any performance unless there is a lot of a code (E.G. Larger apps, such as, yes, games). Side Note: Anyone running any of the 3D launchers will see a negative impact on performance.

Disabling JIT will in fact increase your battery usage if you don't run large apps or games. This is because you are turning off extra compiling for EVERY SINGLE app that runs on your phone.

dpaine88

Reaction score
Being a developer, here's my reply on what JIT does. JIT only helps in certain conditions. Although it's believed that it increased performance of the phone all together, this usually is not the case. JIT allows programs to gain performance by having code compiled at runtime continuously as the program runs, however, it really doesn't increase any performance unless there is a lot of a code (E.G. Larger apps, such as, yes, games). Side Note: Anyone running any of the 3D launchers will see a negative impact on performance.

Disabling JIT will in fact increase your battery usage if you don't run large apps or games. This is because you are turning off extra compiling for EVERY SINGLE app that runs on your phone.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.