Battery life with Samsung extended battery?

Klaista2k

Reaction score
I wanna get the Nexus but battery is a bit of a concern.

If I get it with the extended battery - how many hours can I expect with moderate use?

I would hope to get at least a solid 10-11 hours... would I be able to get that?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Depends on your personal usage. I get 18 hours with 3+ hours of screen time. Some gaming, browsing etc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

soulshot96

Reaction score
I get around 13 hours with moderate use on the standard battery...that's with LTE and moderate use. Extended should be around there, but that all depends on your usage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

wlemammoth

Reaction score
I get about ten to twelve hours with pretty heavy use. On average about 2 1/2 hrs streaming music on Amazon mp3 on 4g, a couple hours screentime including an hour or so of gaming, a few texts, and maybe a call or two. I unplug it around 9am and its on its last leg between 7 to 9pm.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
I use mine all day for work. 10 hours at least and almost always have it charging (desk, car, meetings) and don't think I would make it through the day without charging. I bought the 2100 from VZW and its been great. I would normally have been *****ing up a storm like I did with the TBolt, but this phone charges so quickly its hard to care.

4.0/ICS is worth it...can't imagine being on 2.x again.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's nearly impossible to tell someone how long they'll get, there are so many variables to battery usage.

Display brightness, if you're in a strong 4g area, how much the screen is on, if you stream music/video ect...

I personally get around 12-13 hours a day and I would consider my usage a little below moderate and I use 80% brightness. If I knock the brightness down to 30-40% I can get much more out of it.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
On the extended battery I can go about 7 hours with about an hour and a half of screen time and another 1.5-2 hours of listening to music (stored, not streaming). My battery is anywhere from 40-60% depending on the day. I charge it around 3PM just so I have a full charge for the evening. But I've easily gotten 15hrs out of the extended and 12 out of a standard battery.

GNex is a great phone. I initially just used my extended battery but I was trying to baby my phone so it would last. I said screw that and bought a battery charger (it came with a 3rd battery). Now I always carry a spare battery and just use my phone as it was meant to be used. That enhanced my enjoyment of my phone quite a bit.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's nearly impossible to tell someone how long they'll get, there are so many variables to battery usage.

Display brightness, if you're in a strong 4g area, how much the screen is on, if you stream music/video ect...

I personally get around 12-13 hours a day and I would consider my usage a little below moderate and I use 80% brightness. If I knock the brightness down to 30-40% I can get much more out of it.

^^^
THIS

Another thing to consider - are you going to leave it stock or run a custom rom? Custom kernels can add a few hours to your battery. With that being said, the extended battery gave me an extra 3 hours of use. I get anywhere between 12-18 hours depending on my screen time on and how hard I hammer it during the day. Just to be safe, if I have access to a charger, I always charge it so I don't have to think about it.

EDIT:
The two things that kill the battery on the Nexus
  1. Screen - if you can lower the brightness this will help tremendously
  2. LTE - if you can connect to wifi - do it, it will help a lot as well

OP
K

Klaista2k

Reaction score
^^^
THIS

Another thing to consider - are you going to leave it stock or run a custom rom? Custom kernels can add a few hours to your battery. With that being said, the extended battery gave me an extra 3 hours of use. I get anywhere between 12-18 hours depending on my screen time on and how hard I hammer it during the day. Just to be safe, if I have access to a charger, I always charge it so I don't have to think about it.

EDIT:
The two things that kill the battery on the Nexus
  1. Screen - if you can lower the brightness this will help tremendously
  2. LTE - if you can connect to wifi - do it, it will help a lot as well

Probably leave it stock.

So if I manually switch to 3g will that save a lot more battery life?

meaker

Reaction score
I can not get 3 hours of screen time period... Maybe 2 hours in about 10 hours will pit me at 20%

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Droid101

Reaction score
Probably leave it stock.

So if I manually switch to 3g will that save a lot more battery life?

Eh really personally on my nexus I don't see a dramatic change in battery life when I'm on 3g compared to 4g. It could just be me though, my 3g & 4g signal are usually 3-4 bars.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wlemammoth

Reaction score
Hey Wookie, do you leave the extended battery cover on with the standard battery? I can't find my standard battery to see if there is space between the extended cover and standard battery, and if so does that make the back fall off, or feel weird in hand?

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Hey Wookie, do you leave the extended battery cover on with the standard battery? I can't find my standard battery to see if there is space between the extended cover and standard battery, and if so does that make the back fall off, or feel weird in hand?

I do actually, I just leave the standard cover on and use both the extended or spare battery in it. It fits fine, there is a slight rise where the cover doesn't quite snap on when the extended battery is in. However you can't tell when the case is on. The extended battery case made the case fit funny, so that's why I quit using it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am running AOKP Build 31 with Lean Kernel Stable, got just over 13 hours, 3 hour screen time, 1.5 hour call time.