Battery Life Testing/Observations (Rooted Only)

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have since then wiped and restored to Chevy ss 4.7 with 928Droid black glass theme...and Im worried to try and do it again.

I'm using the same setup (Chevy 4.7 and Black Glass) and cleared the dalvik cache this morning and have had no ill effects other than an additional 5MB of freed memory.

Mine was also hiding in data so did this in emulator:

su
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
reboot

Runs like a champ.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have since then wiped and restored to Chevy ss 4.7 with 928Droid black glass theme...and Im worried to try and do it again.

I'm using the same setup (Chevy 4.7 and Black Glass) and cleared the dalvik cache this morning and have had no ill effects other than an additional 5MB of freed memory.

Mine was also hiding in data so did this in emulator:

su
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
reboot

Runs like a champ.

funny, i was just browsing root explorer and saw it there. I will do it eventually, but I just recently flashed back to chevy ROM and havent used much really...not enough to warrant dumping cache yet.

I figured out why I was having issues with all the other ROMs i used...and it was user error. My sd card was not formatted properly when i connected to usb...and i ignored it, and copied update.zip files over anyway. My hunch is they werent copying properly because of that.

All is well now. Will dump in terminal after using for a while. I want to make sure my current setup is stable for a while before doing anything else to my phone. Ive been scrambling everyday trying to solve issues Ive been having (as a result of not formatting sd :palmface:).

Thanks for the info...coincidence i saw it sitting there in the /data folder, and that is actually what brought me back to this thread!

heavyvino

Reaction score
In Terminal furbearingmammal

Code:
$su
#cd /system/sd/dalvik-cache
#rm *
#reboot

If you can't cd to system this alternative will work:

Code:
$su
#cd /cache/dalvik-cache
#rm *
#reboot

I tried both of these and neither worked, any ideas?

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
In Terminal furbearingmammal

Code:
$su
#cd /system/sd/dalvik-cache
#rm *
#reboot

If you can't cd to system this alternative will work:

Code:
$su
#cd /cache/dalvik-cache
#rm *
#reboot

I tried both of these and neither worked, any ideas?

use Root explorer to navigate through the folders on your system, and find what folder Dalvik-Cache is hiding in. Then change your command based on its location.

Like above, mine was in /data/dalvik-cache

mcjuice22

Reaction score
I was begging to think that my baby was sick, until I did this. I definitely livend her up. Loving her all over again. Thanks. How often does this need to be done to keep performance up?

heavyvino

Reaction score
heavyvino, what ROM are you running?
SS 4.7 with a med voltage 800mhz kernel could this be related to this....

My phone just started rebooting for no reason, did it about 6 times.
At the time I was listening to slacker radio.

I am running a med voltage 800mhz kernel and SS 4.7, phone was in my pocket screen off and headphones were pluged in.

After it rebooted the last time all 5 home screens were blank execpt for the superuser icon, that was not on any of my home screens before phone went goofy.

Should I wipe and restore. A wipe is a factory reset is it not.

This is my other current problem.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
SS 4.7 with a med voltage 800mhz kernel could this be related to this....

My phone just started rebooting for no reason...phone was in my pocket
After it rebooted the last time all 5 home screens were blank execpt for the superuser icon, that was not on any of my home screens before phone went goofy...

Was the phone getting hot? Using the 3G antenna builds up a lot of heat... If the phone overheated you'll get errors like that. If you have a recent Nandroid I'd restore that and see if things work out better for you. Do any of the LV or ULV kernels work for you? If so, try running one of those instead; your heat levels and battery life will benefit.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...ng-observations-rooted-only-7.html#post841272

Did you see that post on what SS 4.7 users need to do to clear their Dalvik cache? Restore your backup and then run that and see if your performance increases.

I was begging to think that my baby was sick, until I did this. I definitely livend her up. Loving her all over again. Thanks. How often does this need to be done to keep performance up?

Every couple of weeks is about right, but if you want to do it more often feel free. Once a month is a good idea as a bare minimum. It's amazing how much stuff winds up in the cache, cluttering it up.

turdbogls

Reaction score
OK so i just went into Clockwork recovery and cleared the Dalvik cache....normally when i do anything in clockwork it does some process that i can physically see...not this time. just went right back to the advanced menu...so i did it again and had the same results. reboooted the phone (seemed to take maybe 10 seconds longer than usual) but the phone seem much snappier and smoother. did it actually clear cache or am i must imagining things....any way to tell by going into the folder or anything. i am a total noob so gimme a brake :)

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you only cleared dalvik-cache I would suspect it achieves the same result.

If you did a wipe cache altogether...it would clear all cache on your phone probably. Even some cache you dont want to clear, so I would not recommend doing it that way.

Its pretty simple to do using terminal.

Also, i just recently installed cachemate, which will clear app cache as well. It frees up some space for sure. Not a WHOLE lot, but some. My app cache wipe freed up 92 mb of space.

turdbogls

Reaction score
if you only cleared dalvik-cache I would suspect it achieves the same result.

If you did a wipe cache altogether...it would clear all cache on your phone probably. Even some cache you dont want to clear, so I would not recommend doing it that way.

Its pretty simple to do using terminal.

Also, i just recently installed cachemate, which will clear app cache as well. It frees up some space for sure. Not a WHOLE lot, but some. My app cache wipe freed up 92 mb of space.

ok thats what i figued...i didn't wipe cache altogether, there is an option for wiping dalvik cache in the advanced tab, and thats the one i did. it does seem faster so i am assuming it did it.

and thanks for cachemate...i was wondering if there was an app for that. will give it a shot.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
on the subject of cachemate...I have only been running it for a little while, but it seems to use a lot of battery juice. More than normal anyway.

I will leave it on my phone for a few days and monitor its power consumption...I would like a full charge and full day of usage to see how it compares to other parts.

Display accounted for most..

then cachemate accounted for more than android os.

LT*

Reaction score
on the subject of cachemate...I have only been running it for a little while, but it seems to use a lot of battery juice. More than normal anyway.

I will leave it on my phone for a few days and monitor its power consumption...I would like a full charge and full day of usage to see how it compares to other parts.

Display accounted for most..

then cachemate accounted for more than android os.

Something is definitely wrong there. I have Cachemate installed, and it doesn't show up anywhere in my power consumption. It should only use power while clearing the cache.