Battery life test - video

Reaction score
[video=youtube;5MiCazSsEWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MiCazSsEWg[/video]

I found this video and thought it could help answer a few questions regarding battery life around here.

It makes it pretty clear that the screen on a lot uses a lot of your battery, but only because it is the constant denominator to using the phone. It won't kill your phone as quick as you think, the main culprit includes phone calls, streaming, surfing, and anything with gps. GPS will eat your phone alive.

justbob

Reaction score
Yes, extended GPS usage will put a hurtin' on your battery. Mine gets noticeably warm if I use GPS for more than a couple of minutes.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
To make it clear- ACTIVE use of GPS will eat your battery. Having it enabled doesn't eat any of your battery unless it's actively being used.

Most people think they have to turn it off but that's completely untrue. I have mine on 24 hours a day and it never even shows up on battery usage.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To make it clear- ACTIVE use of GPS will eat your battery. Having it enabled doesn't eat any of your battery unless it's actively being used.

Most people think they have to turn it off but that's completely untrue. I have mine on 24 hours a day and it never even shows up on battery usage.

+1 and I don't think it can be empathized enough. Leaving your GPS on will not drain your battery if you're not using it. I leave mine on all the time too.

hughesjr

Reaction score
The only thing I turn off when not using it is Bluetooth. And that is a for security and not power consumption.

OP
CorvetteAustin24
Reaction score

+1 and I don't think it can be empathized enough. Leaving your GPS on will not drain your battery if you're not using it. I leave mine on all the time too.

You never know though, all applications are in their infancy with android 2.0, some could contain errors leaving it enabled. Of course this would be noticed under your battery usage, but still, it's possible.

metsnfins

Reaction score
This is the first I've heard about leaving GPS enabled 24/7. Others agree?

bbtkd

Reaction score
This is the first I've heard about leaving GPS enabled 24/7. Others agree?

Yes, I have mine on 24/7 and have noted no impact. Of course I make sure I don't leave any apps running that would use it continually.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people that keep gps on constantly, of course making sure no background apps are on all the time.