Battery life sucks!

rtb

Reaction score
I've only had the phone a week and I think the battery life has already gotten worse! Any news on fixing this? Also what are users doing to save the battery life? Thanks.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your post has no mention of what you use on the phone, do you have 100's of apps installed, do you use GPS? Bluetooth? do you search the web for hours per day? Music? Video?

Last edited:
OP
R

rtb

Reaction score
That link is for Motorola droid. This is the Eris forum. Any update from HTC or Verizon expected? Also, how do u know if background apps are running?

pmracing

Reaction score
That link is for Motorola droid. This is the Eris forum. Any update from HTC or Verizon expected? Also, how do u know if background apps are running?

read more... heheheheee
I'm there with you.

Mikeeee

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry i routinely forget to look at which phone users are talking about. The problem with the eris is that it has bad battery management. Half the amount of runtime a droid has. I think the papers stated 4 hours. You should still be able to use apps such as taskiller, adv task killer, and things like that. It shows which apps are open, and gives you the option to kill them if you don't want them running.

One of the biggest killers on the droid is GPS. It sucks alot of power to use it. I would playing movies and heavy games a second killer (if not the first, if your playing games like quake and doom and things of that nature).

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
rtb you are definitely not alone w/the battery issues's on the Eris. Thats the biggest complaint from most users and why quite a few of them returned them or moved over to the Droid.

Sense needs and uses a lot of juice and there is no way around that.

Besides shutting down the obvious there really is not much else you can do to get great battery life out of it.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only thing you could check is to see if they have a extended life battery and if not, how long it might be till they create one.

sgoldwa

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with Cereal. I don't know why a specific UI would be a battery hog. I too experienced horrible battery life at first. Then I followed a few steps detailed on other forums and things got better.

1 - For three nights in a row, fully discharge and then charge your battery up.
2 - Do not use Visual Voicemail; it doesn't allow your phone to sleep. Likewise for the third-party app YouMail. Do not install or use it.
3 - Check your Awake Time frequently (at least at first). If you see something apporaching 100%, some program or another is not allowing your phone to go into sleep mode.
4 - Be judicious with your use of Bluetooth, GPS and Wifi. I don't have Mobile Network turned off and I am still getting reasonable battery life.
5 - Under the Mobile Network settings, uncheck the setting for "Enable Always-On Mobile". I think this shuts down mobile network (which includes push email, for example) while the phone is sleeping.

Report back to us in a week and let us know how everything goes.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with Cereal. I don't know why a specific UI would be a battery hog. I too experienced horrible battery life at first. Then I followed a few steps detailed on other forums and things got better.

1 - For three nights in a row, fully discharge and then charge your battery up.
2 - Do not use Visual Voicemail; it doesn't allow your phone to sleep. Likewise for the third-party app YouMail. Do not install or use it.
3 - Check your Awake Time frequently (at least at first). If you see something apporaching 100%, some program or another is not allowing your phone to go into sleep mode.
4 - Be judicious with your use of Bluetooth, GPS and Wifi. I don't have Mobile Network turned off and I am still getting reasonable battery life.
5 - Under the Mobile Network settings, uncheck the setting for "Enable Always-On Mobile". I think this shuts down mobile network (which includes push email, for example) while the phone is sleeping.

Report back to us in a week and let us know how everything goes.

It is well advised to not do #1, once in a while but never 3 nights in a row.

Secondly yes a UI can be more of a resource hog then not having it on there. Sense UI enables more features and effects then the normal UI. The reason that people like it so much is also the reason why it runs down a battery faster.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is well advised to not do #1, once in a while but never 3 nights in a row.

Secondly yes a UI can be more of a resource hog then not having it on there. Sense UI enables more features and effects then the normal UI. The reason that people like it so much is also the reason why it runs down a battery faster.
Yeah, all those pretty animations are using resources (don't get me wrong though, I've seen examples on youtube and man I wish they had a UI like that on the droid). They even modified the flip clock so it doesn't "flip" anymore to save memory, cut down resources and etc...

Jad

Reaction score
Is there an app that breaks down battery use so you can see what uses the most power?

JackButler

Reaction score
I read on some thread, actually saw a supposed screenshot of the new update and it had that feature, would be really nice if indeed it is real:>)

nyos

Reaction score
New extended life battery comes out jan. 10 2010. I cant remember the name of the company but it starts with an s. Supposedly it fits in the standard battery housing so it doesnt thicken the phone. From the website it goes for about 50$. I dont know if thats worth it, ive never bought an ext. Life battery

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
New extended life battery comes out jan. 10 2010. I cant remember the name of the company but it starts with an s. Supposedly it fits in the standard battery housing so it doesnt thicken the phone. From the website it goes for about 50$. I dont know if thats worth it, ive never bought an ext. Life battery

Until they fix the underlying problem with the eris, which is POOR battery management then an extended life battery still to me isn't going to do much. The eris comes with a decent battery size, but because of everything the eris runs and the battery management it has at the moment, i would wait until they put the update out. If i remember correctly, there are a few things aimed at making the battery life better on the update, which would give the extend life batteries alot more kick for the buck.

sgm-co

Reaction score
Does anyone have a true status of the Sense update and what is supposed to be addressed? I am enjoying the phone, but I travel quiet a bit and can't worry about plugging my device in all the time or tweaking it for this and that to manage battery life.