Battery Life Razr Maxx sucks since ICS update.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Whoa, that is excessively high for kernel. I do use my phone and have a lot going on in the background but my kernel is sometimes at the top but only by a few % and never that much. From gsam, click on app usage, then click on kernel and see what apps it may list. It might give you an idea what your battery hog culprit is.

View attachment 53363

View attachment 53364

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

hawkintx

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone gets good battery life using 4G exclusively? When I bought the Maxx I expected to be able to keep it 4G mode all the time, but after some testing that doesn't seem possible if I want my battery to last more than 14 hours. Also, what constitutes a strong 4G signal? When on 4G exclusively gsam battery monitor reports the bulk of my signal strength in the 4/5 range which seems good. However, if I look at signal strength, on 4G it is in the -100dBm range, and on 3G it is in the -77dBm range. Is it safe to assume 4G is killing my battery because signal strength isn't good enough?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Regarding 4g a good battery life has everything to do with how close to towers you are or perhaps better said how good a strong signal and saturation of signal there is in your particular area. for me, I live not too far west of philadelphia about 15 miles, and travel to and from philadelphia daily. Signal levels for me range from 3 to 5 bars constantly, and that's on 4 g only.

Being on 4 g constantly, and with those signal levels, I'm still getting battery life that extends well beyond 24 hours. This is of course with the RAZR MAXX.

Another thing that's important in order to get what appears to be good battery life, is to have the meter properly calibrated to the actual battery's capacity. All too often, what appears to be poor battery life is simply due to incorrect battery levels being reported by the meter.

46c08506-88ac-06db.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hawkintx

Reaction score
Regarding 4g a good battery life has everything to do with how close to towers you are or perhaps better said how good a strong signal and saturation of signal there is in your particular area. for me, I live not too far west of philadelphia about 15 miles, and travel to and from philadelphia daily. Signal levels for me range from 3 to 5 bars constantly, and that's on 4 g only.

Being on 4 g constantly, and with those signal levels, I'm still getting battery life that extends well beyond 24 hours. This is of course with the RAZR MAXX.

Another thing that's important in order to get what appears to be good battery life, is to have the meter properly calibrated to the actual battery's capacity. All too often, what appears to be poor battery life is simply due to incorrect battery levels being reported by the meter.

46c08506-88ac-06db.jpg

Just curious how much screen on time you are seeing with that 24 hour number?

sully0400

Reaction score
Bone stock 211 has been super for me. I've tried a bunch of different roms and the stock is the best. But I'm crazy and I'm going to flash the 215 right now

rarz maxx - safestraped - :)

Caesars

Reaction score
It is strong in this one, lol.

Googorola MAXX

blowabs

Reaction score
Think about 10hrs if I did the math right

I get 18 to 20 hours of batt life on 4g all the time (ALONG with bluetooth on all day too)...and that is with 30% left too!! I guess I should stop complaining about batt life after ICS... STILL HOPE AN UPDATE IS COMIN'...

Last edited:

sully0400

Reaction score
View attachment 54959
If you can't make do with a razr maxx you need an iPhone. They are for the dimwits.

.215 radio - SimplexROM 1.2 - Daily Driver - XT912 - Wigdetsoid - Linux Installer

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
So i see all these screen shots that show the battery use screen. These really aren't that helpful so i was wondering if we could make it a standard to use an app called gsam battery monitor. This is because on the main screen it shows the actual screen on time, time awake and many other useful info. If this is used more in screen shots I'm sure there will be less requests for other info... Just a thought to help the community... here's an example

lukesdiesel

Reaction score
I just got my Razr Maxx and I am not getting the battery life I was expecting. I came from a Bionic with the 2750 extended battery and I was getting 10-12hrs with my use out of the Bionic. I am only getting 12-13hrs out of my Maxx. Is this to be expected?

Luke

sully0400

Reaction score
It takes the phone by itself a week to settle Inn . You also got to set your smart actions . do all your sign in then the mail syncs in the background with the web pages is syncing also then you tube syncs. After that expect 20 hours of HARD use and a 3 hour charge time.

I do not recommend sleeping four hours a day although I do it regularly

Motorola RAZR MAXX - XT912 - .215 radio - SimplexROM 1.2 - Wigdetsoid - Tether - Linux Installer - Otter Box - Safestrap - Chrome - 80gb Storage w/64 removable - 6 columns & 7 rows - 78-88°f @ 1325mhz

sully0400

Reaction score
I unplugged this phone at 8 o'clock this morning and I still got 67 percent battery, its 8pm

Motorola RAZR MAXX - XT912 - .215 radio - SimplexROM 1.2 - Wigdetsoid - Tether - Linux Installer - Otter Box - Safestrap - Chrome - 80gb Storage w/64 removable - 6 columns & 7 rows - 78-88°f @ 1325mhz