Battery Life Question

Murker

Reaction score
Just curious about how these batteries charge and what's the best way to wear them down.

In other words, I know there are some batteries that, once you plug them in to charge, they drain the battery and then begin a full charge with the battery being low. Others, and it may be the charger itself, idk, but they seem to charge from where the battery is at currently, meaning if it has a 40% charge, it will just start the charging process from 41% on and so on.

From what I can see, it looks like the batteries begin to charge up from whatever % it's currently at, but is this the best way for these batteries to last? Sure it may work, but how much long term life are we taking from them, if this is the case?

Right now, I have 1 standard battery and 1 extended. I haven't had the phone that long, so I keep playing with it (giggles), so I'm wearing the extended battery down fairly quickly. I expect that with the amount of use it's getting. If I'm in my work truck all day, and I leave it on the cigarette lighter charger all day, am I making the battery weaker by giving it a constant charge? With my Droid X, I just had the regular battery and when I kept it on the charger, it seemed that when I had it off the charger, the phone seemed to die quicker.

Am I making any sense yet, because I'm starting to confuse myself lol.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
The phone will stop charging the battery when it is done. And yeah, the phone will die quicker when it is not on the charger, as that is the intended function of the charger.

BTW, on a regular battery how long you guys get out of a charge if you don't touch your phone that much? I went to bed at like 1 am last night and had 40%+ charge. This morning I woke up and I am at 4%. Seems like an aweful lot of battery drain in less than 7 hours of just sitting there. (especially when mail push is slowed because it is considered off peak)

OP
Murker

Murker

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I didn't phrase correctly what I'm asking.

Basically, is it unhealthy for the battery to be constantly plugged in and used, as opposed to properly wearing the battery down and then charging it? I'm not sure how else to phrase it. lol

shaggykid

Reaction score
No the chargers will stop themselves once the phone is fully charged to keep from harming tge battery.

I've heard constantly running it down completely and all tge way back up can actually harm tge battery. *if you dobit frequently

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

rkpeterson

Reaction score
There have been several threads regarding this topic. Basically the technology of batteries has come a long way. New technology batteries do not have the "memory" that older ones had. It is better for the battery life to keep it charged rather than fully discharge before charging.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Murker

Murker

Reaction score
That's what I was curious about, thanks!

And I did a search, but do you realize how many post's on this site have the word "battery" in them?! :serious:

rkpeterson

Reaction score
Look for the post "How harmful are car chargers to batteries".

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums