Battery Life, Phone won't go into standby

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by shiggityx2, Aug 11, 2010.

1. shiggityx2

shiggityx2 New Member

So I'm not sure if this is a BB issue or not, but I noticed yesterday my battery life was the worst it has ever been. After about 7 hours it was completely drained and I barely touched the phone all day (I have had it run fine for 36 hrs before). Right now the phone is already at 80% charge and I just unplugged it an hour ago.

I thought maybe a new kernel would fix it so yesterday I installed on of the P3Droid kernels. Performance increased but the battery issue isn't resolved, obviously. I haven't made a single call today (Edit: I forgot I did answer one brief call) and the system says that 30% of the battery life has been used for phone calls since it was unplugged, and the rest is he display.

So is this a BB issue or maybe an app I installed? Any help is appreciated, this is very annoying.

Edit: Ok now it has been unplugged for less than 2 hours and is down to 70%, display is using 67%, voice calls 14%, standby 10%, idle 9%. It looks like the screen was staying on for a full minute which is odd, so I changed it back to low settings/15 secs to see what happens. Even with the screen on though that just seems odd, I don't understand how normal use on the default settings could burn through the battery so fast.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

I would check to see if you are receiving the OTA update for 2.2. If it's constantly downloading and re downloading that, it will kill your battery.
  3. DavetheSnake

DavetheSnake New Member

How can you check to see if you are receiving the OTA update?
  4. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

Menu-settings-about phone-system updates

I don't know if this is going to be an issue on bb. Back when I ran smoked glass and an update came out, this was the case. I haven't received it yet on my phone, so I don't know for sure. At any rate, back on sg I let it download and attempt the install, and SPRecovery blocked it from doing anything. The phone then "thought" it had updated and stopped.

Don't know if this will be an issue on bb or not, but the sudden and severe drop in battery life is what caught my attention. It was the same thing that happened to me on smoked glass.
  5. shiggityx2

shiggityx2 New Member

No, it doesn't look like I'm getting the OTA. IT says "Your system is currently up to date." Plus this started happening yesterday and I thought the OTA went out this morning. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  6. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

I'm having similar issues. When I plug the phone in sometimes the battery percentage drops. I also have not received the OTA update and mine also says phone is up to date. I had to go back to 2.1 and everything works fine again. Not sure if our phones can't handle BB or not? If you find a solution do tell me. I'm so frustrated. everyone says BB is awesome but I haven't had the chance to enjoy it.
  7. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

It's tricky, and could be a number of things. Look into apps, anything with geo location or automatic updates could be suspect. Beautiful widgets and facebook had a few problematic pushes a bit ago, but I believe the solved them and updated them.

Something else to consider, is that I believe the OS keeps tabs on the battery. It doesn't sound like the same issue, but worth considering.
    It may be worth it to try and drain fully, then recharge fully.*near fully anyway, some have reported that a battery drained 100% won't boot the phone while charging.

Some have reported "false battery readings." Issue 5259 - android - Incorrect battery reading on Droid (2.0) - Project Hosting on Google Code

I haven't had to look into the issue in depth, I hope you can figure it out! Good luck,
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

Thanks for the info. But would this cause the phone to get really hot when charging? I'm not sure just asking. With 2.1 it doesn't even get warm let alone hot. Guess I'll try again tonight and load one program at a time. As for deleting that file you just do it before you swap your battery? Delete it in Astro or Root Explorer?

I really appreciate the reply. Most people just ignore my issue because their phones works awesome. I really want the update to work.
  9. jimmiet

jimmiet New Member

Have u updated Facebook? They had a major overhaul recently that had a bug that drained the battery, it has since been fixed but if i hasn't been updated it may be the problem.
  10. shiggityx2

shiggityx2 New Member

I had updated facebook and did have battery drain, but apparently they fixed it with another update which I also updated to.

Well, it seems to be much better now, I guess it really was just the screen draining it for not shutting off. Super weird though, I didn't have wireless or GPS or bluetooth turned on, the only setting I changed was turning the brightness down a little and changing it from 1 minute standby to 15 seconds.
  11. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

Not sure I'll ever figure my phone out. Just gets super hot as soon as I install BB and the temp never goes down but on 2.1 it's fine. 2.1 temp is around 86 F and bb v0.4 is always around 110 F.

Just can't figure this out.
  12. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Have you tested other Froyo roms?
  13. lee__D

lee__D New Member

that happened to me once
Search tags for this page
android phone wont go to sleep
blackberry won't go to sleep
cell phone won't go into standby mode
htc one x plus wont go into sleep mode